CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which parts did you find austere ?

Love the cabins!

I wasn't a fan of the new "atrium" with the LED thing. Those 3 levels were just so bland. I also didn't care for the Horizons dining room set up. It was very choppy and some areas were closed off and felt claustrophobic to me. Pretty much the rest of the ship (minus new Havana area) is just like the Dream Class ships.

I wasn't a fan of the new "atrium" with the LED thing. Those 3 levels were just so bland. I also didn't care for the Horizons dining room set up. It was very choppy and some areas were closed off and felt claustrophobic to me. Pretty much the rest of the ship (minus new Havana area) is just like the Dream Class ships.

I've never been on a Dream class ship. :) Can't wait to see how it feels to be on the Vista!

I like the atrium on pictures.

I've never been on a Dream class ship. :) Can't wait to see how it feels to be on the Vista!

I like the atrium on pictures.
Your going to love the food options on the Dream class. Other then price the only complaint I have about DCL is the food. The MDR food is decent on DCL, but more dining options would be nice.

Your going to love the food options on the Dream class. Other then price the only complaint I have about DCL is the food. The MDR food is decent on DCL, but more dining options would be nice.

It would be great if on the new ships, Disney changed it up and offered a free specialty restaurant as a non-MDR dining option -- like an Asian theme or a steakhouse.

It would be great if on the new ships, Disney changed it up and offered a free specialty restaurant as a non-MDR dining option -- like an Asian theme or a steakhouse.
A couple casual restaurants that are open to all ages. Mexican and Asian would be my pick.
Are you still on the WBTA?

Here is the story:

DH and I sailed on the Disney Dream twice. Our first cruise was a 3 nights Bahamas Cruise and the second cruise was a 4 nights Bahamas Cruise.

In 2016, we picked a 4 nights Bahamian cruise (Freeport-Nassau-Sea Day) on the Carnival Victory. Embarkation date: October 9, 2016.

I chose to do this thread in order to compare the two different cruise lines, because the itinerary was very similar and it was departing from Port Canaveral as well, just like the Disney Dream (and sometimes Disney Magic & Disney Wonder).

Since I am going to try the Carnival Vista in October 2017 and that others have tried a certain number of Carnival cruiseships, this thread is now the "official" thread for comparisons between Carnival and Disney Cruise Line.

Here is the list (to be updated) for all the Carnival Cruiseships compared with DCL's ships:

-Carnival Victory: From Post #1 to #44 (Page 1 to 3)

-Carnival Vista: (My comparison review@mevelandry is COMING IN OCTOBER 2017. Until then, I invite you to take a look at the wonder review that Club Disney Chandler has done in June 2016. The thread is now closed to comments but there are nice pictures and great informations about the ship:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-new-carnival-vista.3521334/

<snipped for brevity>

There are things you didn't compare, such ans the number of outbreaks of gastrointestinal illness have occurred on the line and how many fires the line has had aboard their ships. Carnival comes in behind Disney in both categories and other cruise lines are even worse. There is no reason for mass illness aboard cruise ships. The US Navy can send an aircraft carrier with a crew of 6000 on a seven month deployment with lots of sea time, and a number of foreign port calls and you never hear about an outbreak on the ship.

My family has sailed on NCL (2x), Carnival (4x), and Disney (11x). Each cruise line will appeal more to some, not so much to others, depending on what you are looking for. My family prefers excellent service, distinct differences between adult and family entertainment, and a feeling of safety (amongst other things), but we really just want to get away sometimes so not every cruise has all that we wish for. But they all rock me to sleep at night!

I tend to worry, and no matter where we are, I always have an escape in the back of my mind for any calamity. Therefore, a cruise line that gives me a good sense of safety from the beginning gets to the top of my list right away. Of the three lines we have sailed, DCL is at the top for sense of safety.

The lifeboat drills on Carnival and NCL were a joke. Neither our Carnival nor NCL cruises had lifeboat drills where I felt the crew really cared about keeping us informed and alive. On my last Carnival, the crew leading the lifeboat drills weren't even checking people in, just telling you to go take a seat, and then looking at things on their cell phones instead of leading the drills. Neither of my NCL cruises had any semblance of order, and my last one on the Getaway, the crew just gave up because no one would quiet down, so the crew walked off to a corner of the room. On DCL, nothing happens until every room is checked in and everyone is quiet. I know it is up to me to get my family to safety, but I sure do feel better about safety if the crew gives the impression of being prepared!

This all makes me wonder how the lifeboat drills and sense of safety are on RCCL and Celebrity? What about MSC? I will enjoy a cruise, no matter the cruise line, because I am on vacation and on the ocean, but will another line take the lifeboat drill as seriously as DCL does? For me, that is what is very important when I choose my next cruise.

The drills are required by the US Coast Guard and it sounds like some ships are going through the motions just to keep the Coast Guard off their backs. I consider the drills on the Disney ships to be a minor inconvenience.

I try to take it all with a grain of salt. It seems like the biggest Disney fans cruise once every two years and do it exclusively for the Mickey experience. The cruisers that are really interested in seeing new ports and exploring new continents tend to be open to all options. Some of the biggest Disney loyalists on this board(from what I know about them) I'm almost certain couldn't afford a 15k European cruise either. I think some people need to criticize other cruiselines as a way to justify to themselves spending the extra money on DCL. I think if your truly comfortable with yourself and your choices you wouldn't have to do that.

My wife and I have four active reservations on DCL in the next 12 months (two in September of this year and two in April of next year, culminating in a westbound Panama Canal.) We are averaging one cruise a year.

Dcl was a lot more affordable when we started cruising.. I'd love to brag that my income has doubled to keep up with the "Disney inflation" unfortunately it hasn't. My dh has made some money in the stock market during the bull run we've had, but that's in our IRA so not touchable. Markets go up and down so I never get too excited, especially after the 2009 housing explosion. We live in AZ and it was ugly.
It's funny on Cruise Critic I've had to defend DCL because a lot of people think your absolutely insane for paying DCL prices. My advice for Mevelandty would be to hang out on the Carnival boards you're never going to convince most DCL loyalist that there are comparable options for less money.

You really can't compare Carnival and Disney based on price because it's an entirely different type of experience. It's like trying to compare Walt Disney World or Disneyland to Universal Studios or Six Flags.

There are things you didn't compare, such ans the number of outbreaks of gastrointestinal illness have occurred on the line and how many fires the line has had aboard their ships. Carnival comes in behind Disney in both categories and other cruise lines are even worse. There is no reason for mass illness aboard cruise ships. The US Navy can send an aircraft carrier with a crew of 6000 on a seven month deployment with lots of sea time, and a number of foreign port calls and you never hear about an outbreak on the ship.

The drills are required by the US Coast Guard and it sounds like some ships are going through the motions just to keep the Coast Guard off their backs. I consider the drills on the Disney ships to be a minor inconvenience.

My wife and I have four active reservations on DCL in the next 12 months (two in September of this year and two in April of next year, culminating in a westbound Panama Canal.) We are averaging one cruise a year.

There's always an exception. I've done 4 cruises in one year. I don't consider that normal.

You really can't compare Carnival and Disney based on price because it's an entirely different type of experience. It's like trying to compare Walt Disney World or Disneyland to Universal Studios or Six Flags.
I can compare anything I want. I consider a cruise ship a floating resort. If I can compare Hilton and Hyatt. I can compare DCL and Carnival.
Have you ever cruised on Carnival?

Last edited:

I compare Disney World and Universal all the time, because they are theme parks. I compare theme parks with theme parks and cruiseships with cruiseships.

I can only compare from my experience and I never experienced an outbreak on any cruise... If it happens, I will talk about it.

I compare Disney World and Universal all the time, because they are theme parks. I compare theme parks with theme parks and cruiseships with cruiseships.

I can only compare from my experience and I never experienced an outbreak on any cruise... If it happens, I will talk about it.
Hopefully you can keep this a friendly thread without too many people popping on here to bash Carnival. I like coming here to discuss my cruise plans on DCL and Carnival.

I feel like I have to mention that this thread have been created in order to compare experience with DCL vs Carnival and talk about our various cruise plans (including with Carnival):

If you have sailed with Carnival, you are more than welcome to post reviews (good or bad).

If you didn't, you should understand that we are all aware of past incidents. There is no need to remind us.

We are trying to keep this thread as friendly as possible.

Hopefully you can keep this a friendly thread without too many people popping on here to bash Carnival. I like coming here to discuss my cruise plans on DCL and Carnival.

Doing my best.

I appreciate honest reviews (with pros and cons). It has to be a real review though, not just a monologue on why you would never sail on X cruise line that you have never sailed on.

One thing that always surprise me on the FB Vista group is how someone can write a very negative review (with not much proof to back up their story --show me the dirty hallways!--) and then someone who was on the same cruise will write a great review. Sometimes it feels like they were on a totally different ship!

Doing my best.

I appreciate honest reviews (with pros and cons). It has to be a real review though, not just a monologue on why you would never sail on X cruise line that you have never sailed on.

One thing that always surprise me on the FB Vista group is how someone can write a very negative review (with not much proof to back up their story --show me the dirty hallways!--) and then someone who was on the same cruise will write a great review. Sometimes it feels like they were on a totally different ship!

But that happens here too. Look at the split of people who say they have had "plumbing issues" (with no pictures to back it up - and really how do you photograph a smell??) on the Classics and pretty much the same number who have never had them.

People experience things differently and no one ever "knows EXACTLY how someone feels" EVER because we all bring our own background and we all have unique experiences.

Let's clear this misconception up.

In 2016 DCL and Carnival both had 1 (one!) outbreak of gastrointestinal illness confirmed by the CDC (both Norovirus). Except DCL has 1 on 4 ships, Carnival had 1 on 25 ships.

Neither cruiseline had a CDC confirmed case of gastrointestinal illness in 2015, 2014, or 2013. Carnival had 1 in 2012.

So in the past 5 years of sailing, Carnival - with a fleet of 25 ships - had 2 CDC confirmed cases of gastrointestinal illness.
DCL - with a fleet of 4 ships - had 1 CDC confirmed case of gastrointestinal illness.

Hmmm, who has the better record?

But that happens here too. Look at the split of people who say they have had "plumbing issues" (with no pictures to back it up - and really how do you photograph a smell??) on the Classics and pretty much the same number who have never had them.

People experience things differently and no one ever "knows EXACTLY how someone feels" EVER because we all bring our own background and we all have unique experiences.

I know you cannot prove everything with pictures but when you say something look outdated, or dangerous, or some place overcrowded, it is doable.

I know you cannot prove everything with pictures but when you say something look outdated, or dangerous, or some place overcrowded, it is doable.

Still, those things are subjective. Some people are hyper-cautious (to the point of not really living IMHO) and things that typical people do not see as "dangerous" they do. Ditto "overcrowded" - someone who is claustrophobic will see areas differently.

Also not everyone WANTS to be a photojournalist and walks around with a camera and WANTS to document every little tiny thing. To me, that is just looking for things to critique and not living and enjoying vacation. (Yes, I took a picture of the carpet pulling away on the step on the Adonia, but that was only after if had been that way for 2 days and they decided to "fix" it with a 2-inch piece of packing tape. Not the first time I saw it. And I wasn't poking around under things - it was visible right when you walked up the stairs.)

Just saying again that different people see things differently. You will find that on ANY kind of review site.

I can 100% guarantee there are people on the same Adonia sailing I was on last week who absolutely adored everything about the ship. While I love fathom and what it stands for and wants to do, I am thrilled that that ship is going back to P&O and hope that when they get fathom2.0 up and running they either use a different ship or make it 100% theirs and don't keep the P&O crew or at least methods. Those differences don't mean that one group or person is wrong and one is right. Each of us has our own experiences and that colors how we see things.

Doing my best.

I look for reviews that are balanced. I also know a lot of people are fussier then me. As long as the ship doesn't sink I'm going to have a good time.

I look for reviews that are balanced. I also know a lot of people are fussier then me. As long as the ship doesn't sink I'm going to have a good time.

Agreed. There are some pretty salty reviews on many cruise boards and I have learned not to panic when you read the first negative one. I also realized when I started to weigh the reviews and the stuff they complained "ruined" their cruise (like a random rust spot, a piece of worn carpet, a small bathroom or not enough room storage, or one rude crew member), that these are not things that would cause me problems or disappointment! I do think that some people just post to complain -- and they would also be the ones not to post a positive review.

Those differences don't mean that one group or person is wrong and one is right. Each of us has our own experiences and that colors how we see things.

While I do not disagree with that statement, I still think it is nice when people document with pictures when they do reviews. This way, each and everyone of us can set their expectations lower or higher according to what we saw. This is why I love reviews and vlogs so much.

I know it helped me a lot when I boarded the Victory as I was expecting some wear and tear. In the end, the ship exceeded my expectations.

Also, as of now, based on reviews and complaints read on FB in the Vista group, I'm expecting to feed on water only because the food is too bad, live in a dump, not having access to any pool ever, not being able to view any of the (bad) musical shows and (bad) comedy shows, not having a seat in an overpriced movie theater , all that with the most horrible and non-existent staff ever.

I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy that cruise. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter