"Carousel of Progress" Closing?

My DD who is 10 didn't think it was corny at all. She loved it!

mitros said:
Since when does Disney {Eisner} care what CMs want? Witness the new contract.....

I know I know! I just think it would be horrible if they took it away. There are still some old originals left...IASW, etc....
I hope they leave it alone, extect to make upgrades to the last scene. :wizard:

I love the CoP too, but does anyone remember the song it played back in '76 and '78-- the first times I rode it (OK, I'm dating myself here, I realize). It was " Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life...there's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life"-- it still plays OUTSIDE the CoP in the Tomorrowland park music medley. Gotta say I liked it better than "great big beautiful tomorrow"...it isn't the same for me without it :(

BTW my DD 10 liked it too-- it's neat for kids to imagine what it would have been like to live at a different time...

I like that song a lot better too...the old one. I was born in 78 but that's the song that I associate with COP ... however, my BF and I couldn't resist singing the new one all over the park this past september and all the way home!

roadtripper said:
I love the CoP too, but does anyone remember the song it played back in '76 and '78-- the first times I rode it (OK, I'm dating myself here, I realize). It was " Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life...there's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life"-- it still plays OUTSIDE the CoP in the Tomorrowland park music medley. Gotta say I liked it better than "great big beautiful tomorrow"...it isn't the same for me without it :(
Now is the Time was added to the CoP when it came to the Disney World from Disneyland. Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow was the original theme from the 64/65 Worlds fair version of the show. Both songs were wrtten by the Sherman brothers.

roadtripper said:

BTW my DD 10 liked it too-- it's neat for kids to imagine what it would have been like to live at a different time...

I had COMPLETELY forgotten about that!!! It must've been playing in 1980, because that was the first time I had visited the park. I sang that song the whole rest of the trip, and drove my family NUTS!!! That was a great song!!!

:wave:

Beca

Okay, so maybe it's nostalgia - but we feel closer to Uncle Walt when we do this one! Hope it never goes - too many already have.

I know that COP only tends to be open during certain times but I hope it is open for our May trip. I would like to take my boyfriend and his 6 and 8 year old. :banana:

The original COP at the World's Fair was more extensive that what is at WDW. After the last scene, the theater rolled on to the original blank room, and the audience exited FORWARD (while new people entered from the rear) and up a long escalator, then down a huge spiral ramp: at the bottom there was a loud explosion, and lightning inside a large glass globe, simulating the splitting of the atom, or something of that sort. (And then on to the GE showroom, I guess...) We exited on the lower level, one below the theaters. It was spectacular, and I rode several times tryng to figure out how they fit all that space inside the perimeter. I would love to see a model of the original setup. Is there anyone still alive (joke!) who remembers that?

I second the reference to the site mentioned in the last post. Don't miss the slide show. It's B&W show scenes at first, but then there are some great shots of that huge interior space, and a lot of exteriors of the Worlds Fair building. Check out the queue area!

I really hope CoP is open in June. The last time we were there it wasn't open and I was just bummed. My husband didn't understand why I wanted to see it so much. Since my first visit back in the late 70's it has always been a tie between CoP and Space Mountain. It doesn't matter how old you are there is just something special about this ride. I also like the Now is the time song better, but that's probably just because it was the first I heard.

c.o.p. is a classic they won't change it but disney knows best the timekeeper is going to be first to go in tomorrowland

sbelyo said:
Slowly Disney is replacing all those rides for something that today's 3-10 yr olds can recognize.

My DS5 at the time absolutely LOVED CoP! He still sings the song and it was last year! He could care less about seeing a character, he wants to go to the CoP!

if COP closes i would be very upset. i also was at the world's fair and saw COP for the first time. on subsiquent visits to WDW i really never went on COP because i was into the commando style of touring. well this july i decided to give it a try again. while DW was on one of her "smoke breaks", i decided to go on COP while she finished. i went on with DS#2 who is 14 and to my suprise he loved it. he asked me if we are going to go on it again on our next trip. i found that to be great because how often do you get to re-live something in your youth that you enjoyed and enjoy it again with your own children.

honestly it is truly a classic ride and i hope it never closes. fix it up and clean it up and the people will come. give me a nice relaxing place to sit in for a bit in air-conditioned splendor in the heat of july and i am so there!!

In Feb we were in Disney and CoP was open . . . a CM working the ride said they couldn't close it because there were certain clauses in Walt's will. :confused3

Well, I for one hope COP is around for many years to come. It's an absolute classic. I always catch it each time I'm at the Magic Kingdom.

OK, now THAT one I never heard. The CMs claim all sorts of reasons for not closing it AND closing it, but that is a new one on me!

::MickeyMo My husband is obsessed with COP and while I like it- he would be crushed if they closed it. I was happy to read what the CM said about it being part of Walt's will- It wouldn't be the MK without it!

My DH likes the COP but my kids think it's boring. I'd like to keep it for it's tradition and a great reminder of Walt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter