"Carousel of Progress" Closing?

Haven't read all of this thread but I have a 12/13 yr old DD that loves this ride (as do her parents. I feel this is a Disney Classic that will always be there.

As a vision straight from Walt I can't see it being dismissed (if anything revamped) Hopefully, my DD can sing you the whole song and chooses to go on this verses another spin on Space.

Is there anyone "in the know" who might actually know if COP will be open this summer? We are looking at going week of June 12 and would love to see it again. Haven't been able to see it in years! It would really be a shame not to have it open and in good working order for the celebration since it is a Disney original.

I wish I could believe that the "legacy of Walt" or the "connection to Walt" would keep COP open, but frankly, I don't think that means a thing to current Disney management.
I'm sure they would even find a way around a clause in Walt's will (if indeed it even mentions COP).

Sadly, you are more then likely correct in that assumption. And now, with Bob Iger taking over this year, as they say, "it ain't gonna get no better"

The cop is one of my favorites as well. when ever i go to disney i need to ride the classics, the cop being one of them. i love this ride and im only 15! if you love disney you love this ride, if it does close :sad2: when does it, because i wantt o ride it one more time before they take down a piece of history. :earseek:

:sunny: My family loves COP too! Last summer we took my 6 yr. old and 3 yr. old on it for the first time. It stopped at the second scene and repeated four times before they let us off. I was surprised when my 6 yr. old asked the CM when it would be fixed. He couldn't wait to get back on. They had it running 5 minutes later and both of my kids wanted to do it twice. They had so many questions about each scene. It is not only a piece of history for us older Disney fans, but also to a new generation coming up.

Went to the MK yesterday, and CoP WAS open. The only thing closed in Tomorrowland was Timekeeper. And the new restaurant, Noodle Station, was open. The menu looked pretty good.

sbelyo said:
with everything I've read it seems that after disneyland's 50th and the addition of stitch to that area I think it will be closed.

It is unfortunate, as it is one of my most favorite attractions. Slowly Disney is replacing all those rides for something that today's 3-10 yr olds can recognize.

I know the first time I went that was my favorite ride, but it's not true that kids don't like it . I went with my friend to WDW and me and her loved it (we are 13)... That might just be me but I thought it was cool going thru all the different times and stuff!

I love the COP and remember first seeing it in 1986.It would be a pity if it closed.They should update the last section though.

Are you willing to take 10 minutes to help keep Carousel of Progress open?, then:

CONTACT DISNEY!
Disney loves hearing from its guests, be sure to contact and write in a respectful manner. A few minutes of your time can make a difference and help to preserve this great orginal Walt Disney attraction!

TAKE NOTE: Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is currently open. There are no planned dates for closure at this time. This attraction has been under consideration for replacement, such as the flying saucer ride, but nothing is cast in stone at this time.

EMAIL:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

WRITE!:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Mr. Al Weiss
President of Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: (407) 828-3464

Mr. James A. (Jay) Rasulo
President of Walt Disney Attractions
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Mr. Lee Cockerell
Executive VP of WDW Operations
1375 Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000
Phone: (407) 934-7287

Mr. Dave Vermeulen
General Manager of the Magic Kingdom
PO Box 10000
Phone: (407) 824-4040

Mr. Phil Holmes, Vice President
Vice President of the Magic Kingdom
PO Box 10000

Mr. Marty Sklar
President of Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
Glendale, CA 91221
Phone: (818) 544-7251

Thanks! :)

We went to COP on March 9th of this year. After the first segment ended and the carousel was supposed to turn.....it didn't. The first part repeated itself. Not once, not twice. After the 5th time of it starting over and nothing happening, the people all got up and left much to the dismay of the CM who kept telling everyone to remain seated. It was awful. People were shouting that they wanted to leave. Babies were crying. :confused3 I personally would love to see COP stay open. I love it. But after this experience Disney has a lot of work to do to get COP up to par. :sad2:

DVCconvert said:
Are you willing to take 10 minutes to help keep Carousel of Progress open?, then:

CONTACT DISNEY!
Disney loves hearing from its guests, be sure to contact and write in a respectful manner. A few minutes of your time can make a difference and help to preserve this great orginal Walt Disney attraction!

Well I did my part. And I got a generic response back. I will continue to contact them as I do for so many other things, i.e. possible SPE closing, no park stuff on DC, etc. I like being a pest.

I love CoP. Hope they don't close it.

We were MK in early April. My 5yo DS loved CoP. He still talks about it as one of his favorite rides.

WDWHound said:
The rumors I have read (mostly from Jim Hill's site) say that the carousel will remain open until the end of Disneylands 50th aniversary celebration and then shutdown forever. .

When does the 50th celebration end.. me and my partner are planning on going to wdw in july 06 and i really would like to see this... not sure if it was tthere in 1984 when i went as a 5 y.o

we are from australia so its a huge deal for us.....

Adrienne :wizard:

I believe that the 50th celebration is supposed to last 18 months, starting May 2005. You might want to verify that with the WDW website or call them, since you're travelling so far.

Sarangel

I believe that the 50th celebration is supposed to last 18 months, starting May 2005.

That is correct.

And the future of this attraction is still very much 'up for grabs'.

If anyone believes it's important to keep, NOW is the time to WRITE.
::MickeyMo

I grew in up in the Orlando area and went to MK many, many times. Even now when I return to Mk CoP is one of the must see attractions. I know...it's not the most exciting ride but holds a lot of memories. Sad to see it go. :sad2:

All or atleast most of you need to take the underground tunnel tour. The
ride will NEVER close just like The People Mover- Walt had a hand directly
in their design.

I wish you were correct, but I doubt that will make any difference to todays Disney management. Physically, the People Mover will be tough to eliminate w/o a lot of effort. But COP can be easily "changed" to something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter