CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
My original post? You’ve got the wrong person.

But 7% is not the same as never, which was your claim. So yes, it was wrong. And again, not everybody can get the vaccination right now. Being eligible doesn’t mean it’s available.

So you’re a proponent of forced vaccination then? Because the only way we get to a place like that is through herd immunity. And that’s actually when health officials said mitigation factors could go. Not when half the adult population got their first dose.

And yes, it’s absolutely legal.

But truthfully, what is so objectionable to a piece of cloth? That word sounds very dramatic.
No, I do not believe in forced vaccination, but if you do not get vaccinated than do not cry if you get COVID, and maybe we are just going to accept a lower percent to declare herd immunity if a large portion of people refuse to get vaccinated. Masks are not legal, 2 Supreme court justices have so mentioned that Civil liberties have been trampled on in the name of COVID-- we just have not yet had a case go to the Supreme court yet to challenge. And again, who is anyone to tell someone what is objectionable, speak for yourself but do not generalize for others.

I don’t get it.

The timeline is looking like two more years now. That’s about what it will take to get the vaccines FDA approved and made mandatory at least in schools.

What does a Disney cruise look like with no kids under the age of 16?

Covid for those under 16 is the flu or less, we don't require masks or distancing for the flu. While most adults are vaccinated and cases hit a very low level, I don't think the world will continue to live in a quasi-shutdown because there's a small chance kids could get covid. And also, the 12-16 age range are likely to be eligible for vax within months.

Covid for those under 16 is the flu or less, we don't require masks or distancing for the flu. While most adults are vaccinated and cases hit a very low level, I don't think the world will continue to live in a quasi-shutdown because there's a small chance kids could get covid. And also, the 12-16 age range are likely to be eligible for vax within months.

They can get it and spread it. This will be a problem if we don’t reach herd immunity and contain community spread. Kids will get it, visit their older relatives over the holidays, and then we’ll see more cases in the antivaxx counties.

They can get it and spread it. This will be a problem if we don’t reach herd immunity and contain community spread. Kids will get it, visit their older relatives over the holidays, and then we’ll see more cases in the antivaxx counties.
Yes, that is possible, but all of those people you're describing have the chance to get the vax, and if they don't then it is their own doing. We will be WAY beyond the point where Covid can overwhelm hospitals, etc. Time to move on at that point, well before that point actually.

Each to his own. And once we reach herd immunity there should be no need for social distancing as I too miss going to a baseball game with my grandkids. To piggyback, as of 4/19 there are 85Million fully vaccinated (or 31% of adult population) and 132 million at least one shot (or 49% of adult population).

I don't personally think we're going to reach herd immunity (which, contrary to your subsequent post, isn't something that can just be redefined if we don't get to the threshold the science indicates we need), or if we do, it will take another year or more and vaccines becoming available to all ages. So the question to me is how we move on without it, or at the most optimistic, how we move on while we're still trying to get there. Masks are a good tool that have no measurable downside other than minor discomfort. If the question is more ordinary living with masks or continued distancing and capacity restrictions without, I don't understand why anyone would choose the latter... though I guess people who just don't care about festivals and fairs and concerts and live arts might see the minor discomfort of a mask as being worth losing those things over.

What does a Disney cruise look like with no kids under the age of 16?

I think the more reasonable question would be no kids under 12. Most of the analysis I've read seems to expect Pfizer to get approval for 12 to 15yos next month, and since the only unvaccinated member of my household is in that age group, I have been following the buzz/rumor/projection around the issue fairly closely. With a little luck, we might even be able to get DD12 vaccinated before we head off to Alaska this summer (though that's certainly not something I'm counting on, of course).

And as far as what a Disney cruise looks like with no kids under 12? I don't know, but that might be enough to convince me to try one for the first time to find out!

The sun does not kill COVID.

Actually... https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2020/06/29/light-coronavirus/?sh=7400f51d5853

But when most of us talk about summer lowering case rates, we're not talking about the direct effect of sunlight but rather about the seasonality that happens due to the virus spreading far more easily/efficiently in indoor settings and places with poor ventilation. A dinner party in my dining room with 8 guests is much riskier than a dinner party around my patio table with the same group. Dining inside a restaurant is much riskier than dining on the same restaurant's deck. Those things do give covid a seasonality based on human behavior, and since most of this country has weather more conducive to outdoor activity in the summer, that makes summer an ally of sorts in trying to limit spread.

The sun does not kill COVID.

It kills the virus that causes it though. Well, not kills, since viruses can't live without a host, but the sun destroys the viral protective capsule and renders it harmless within a few minutes of exposure to UV-A, B, and C light. Outdoor transmission still requires prolonged close contact (close enough to literally share the same air).

I don't personally think we're going to reach herd immunity (which, contrary to your subsequent post, isn't something that can just be redefined if we don't get to the threshold the science indicates we need), or if we do, it will take another year or more and vaccines becoming available to all ages. So the question to me is how we move on without it, or at the most optimistic, how we move on while we're still trying to get there. Masks are a good tool that have no measurable downside other than minor discomfort. If the question is more ordinary living with masks or continued distancing and capacity restrictions without, I don't understand why anyone would choose the latter... though I guess people who just don't care about festivals and fairs and concerts and live arts might see the minor discomfort of a mask as being worth losing those things over.

I think the more reasonable question would be no kids under 12. Most of the analysis I've read seems to expect Pfizer to get approval for 12 to 15yos next month, and since the only unvaccinated member of my household is in that age group, I have been following the buzz/rumor/projection around the issue fairly closely. With a little luck, we might even be able to get DD12 vaccinated before we head off to Alaska this summer (though that's certainly not something I'm counting on, of course).

And as far as what a Disney cruise looks like with no kids under 12? I don't know, but that might be enough to convince me to try one for the first time to find out!

Actually... https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2020/06/29/light-coronavirus/?sh=7400f51d5853

But when most of us talk about summer lowering case rates, we're not talking about the direct effect of sunlight but rather about the seasonality that happens due to the virus spreading far more easily/efficiently in indoor settings and places with poor ventilation. A dinner party in my dining room with 8 guests is much riskier than a dinner party around my patio table with the same group. Dining inside a restaurant is much riskier than dining on the same restaurant's deck. Those things do give covid a seasonality based on human behavior, and since most of this country has weather more conducive to outdoor activity in the summer, that makes summer an ally of sorts in trying to limit spread.
Yeah, I do understand that. But, I also worry that it'll be like last summer where everyone though cases would disappear and then bam, a spike in cases. Plus, it ignores how warm states still have had spikes and surges throughout the year in line with the rest of the country. It just don't personally like people talking about summer like that because imo it makes people lower their guard. I could be wrong, just how I view the effect.

Sorry guys, I was being a little tongue in cheek when I said the sun doesn't kill COVID. I didn't literally mean the sun killing the virus. I was just referring to COVID not disappearing in the summer.

Tell that to parents whose children are in the ICU right now or who have MIS-C. The ER in our area is crazy with pediatric patients coming in extremely sick with COVID. Tell that to my daughter whose mild case gave her severe lung damage even though she didn't go to the hospital with it. Tell that to her friend who has been on bedrest for over three months due to severe cardiac damage from her mild case of COVID. Tell that to my DD's teammates who have struggled for months to recover from their mild Covid case but are still not back to "normal". All young healthy high level athletes. All with long lasting damage. These kids have had the flu and snapped back in no time. COVID is not the flu. COVID DOES affect kids and it DOES have long term affects for kids and teens.

Yeah, I do understand that. But, I also worry that it'll be like last summer where everyone though cases would disappear and then bam, a spike in cases. Plus, it ignores how warm states still have had spikes and surges throughout the year in line with the rest of the country. It just don't personally like people talking about summer like that because imo it makes people lower their guard. I could be wrong, just how I view the effect.
What would we need to put our guard down about? Once you're vaccinated, your risk of a respiratory illness is less than it was in 2019, regardless of age.

I'll tell you what, once my 15 year old son is fully vaccinated (hoping for this to be the case by mid summer) we are ABSOLUTELY going to let our guard down. We are waiting on that to: dine indoors, gather with extended family, go to places like indoor waterparks, movie theaters, bowling alleys, fly on a plane, etc. We will continue to follow mask rules, because we live in an area that has no plans to drop them anytime soon, but we will expand our own horizons and go back to doing all the things we have stopped doing over the last year.

The surges that happened last summer cannot be expected this summer because we now have vaccines and we didn't last year. The surges last summer were due to complacency and a misunderstanding that this virus was "seasonal" and perhaps some inaccurate messaging from the previous administration on that idea.

Tell that to parents whose children are in the ICU right now or who have MIS-C. The ER in our area is crazy with pediatric patients coming in extremely sick with COVID. Tell that to my daughter whose mild case gave her severe lung damage even though she didn't go to the hospital with it. Tell that to her friend who has been on bedrest for over three months due to severe cardiac damage from her mild case of COVID. Tell that to my DD's teammates who have struggled for months to recover from their mild Covid case but are still not back to "normal". All young healthy high level athletes. All with long lasting damage. These kids have had the flu and snapped back in no time. COVID is not the flu. COVID DOES affect kids and it DOES have long term affects for kids and teens.

I am not going to disagree with you that children can get very sick with Covid but you seem to know quite a few young people who have had serious complications. We know of one athlete who had a pretty serious case of Covid in December who is currently not able to play lacrosse since he did not pass his EKG scan. He is improving and the last echo showed his inflammation was almost back to normal but all of my children's other friends have been ok. To be fair we also know 2 athletes who had myocarditis after getting the Flu so bad things can happen with the Flu too.

Where are you located?

Regardless of the specific of this discussion, I think the bottom-line is this: by summer, everyone who wishes to be vaccinated will have had the chance. Cases will also be dropping then due to it being summer. At that point, there will be no appetite for mask wearing or social distancing.

The peak of cases last year, excluding the winter wave, happened at the height of summer.

Guys, over 50% of people still aren't vaccinated. That's who shouldn't let their guards down this summer. I get it, I do. But, ya'll are really nitpicking posts.

I was a little too literal in my original post and that's on me, but the pandemic isn't over and *obviously* if you're not vaccinated, you shouldn't be thinking that summer is a magical time of the year where you can just let your guard down. That's all I meant. The post I responded to mentioned cases being down "due to it being summer." I just didn't like the idea that cases will be down "due to it being summer." That's all. I wasn't looking for an argument about whether you can safely go out with a vaccine.

Heck, I just planned my first trip because I know I'll be vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter