Character attendant

delly7

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am interviewing to be a character attendant next week!:banana: Can anyone tell me what they ask you in the interview? Also, can someone go in depth as far as what an average day is like in this role? Is it super demanding? pros and cons please. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!I'm so excited!!!!:yay:

I'm a character attendant now, so I'll do my best to answer your questions. I never intereviewed to be an attendant, so I can't help you there but I can help with everything else hopefully. Sorry if everything below is kind of scattered, I'm just writing as things come to me.

An average day for an attendant really isn't too tough, depending on who you are working with of course. You're biggest responsibility all day,every day is the safety of the characters and maintaining character integrity. As much as we are trained to be all about the guests, answering millions of questions and talking to them while they are in line, you need to care more about the characters. Basically, keep one eye glued on the characters and the other eye glued on guests while interacting with both the characters and guests.

If you are standing just watching your character all day, you are going to have a boring day. Talk to guests, talk to the little kids that are scared of the characters. Even more so though, interact with your characters. If you're bored up there, chances are they are too. Have fun with them, play games, make stupid comments and laugh with them. It all makes the day go by so much faster.

You're biggest responsibilities every day will be to make sure the characters are out on set on time and that they are taken off on time. That is one of the biggest points I can not emphasize enough. Wear a watch everyday, you need it. You live by your watch. Depending on where you are and who you are with each day, you may be doing 14 sets each day.

Probably the toughest part of your day, every day, will be to turn people away when you're line is closed. No matter how cute the kids are, how nice the parents are, you can't let them in once you have closed the line. If you let them in, then you have to let the next family in that sees you too. You also have to be prepared to deal with begging, angry guests or guests that will try to push their kids into line after it's been closed. It's all about sticking your ground, and being as nice as humanly possible no matter how irate a guest may be. Don't worry though, really, majority of guests are quite nice and understanding. You can never let an angry guest ruin your day.

Working with the characters is a blast. Have fun with them. Talk to as many guests as you can (while keeping at least one eye on your character at all times). It's always a blast.

:flower3: Thank you so much for your in depth response!!!! You are so kind. Yes, I think dealing with angry people would probably be something I would have to get used to. But as long as I know it happens and can mentally prepare for it then all is well. Do you get to shadow another character attendant for a day before you start? How do they train you for this role? I just want to do my best and be prepared! Thank you again for your response! Maybe I'll be working with you sometime!:banana: I just love this banana guy!

:flower3: Thank you so much for your in depth response!!!! You are so kind. Yes, I think dealing with angry people would probably be something I would have to get used to. But as long as I know it happens and can mentally prepare for it then all is well. Do you get to shadow another character attendant for a day before you start? How do they train you for this role? I just want to do my best and be prepared! Thank you again for your response! Maybe I'll be working with you sometime!:banana: I just love this banana guy!

You're right, you do get used to dealing with irate people after a while. As for the training, you don't actually get to shadow another attendant for the day unfortunately, but you really don't need to all that much. When you train, your training will last for 5 days and chances are, when you are attending characters during your training, the characters you will be with will be brand new also. That way, you both can improve together, and understand how the dynamic works between characters and attendants. When you are training, there will be PLENTY of managers and trainers around you at all times to give you suggestions and feedback on how you are doing.

I had the best time on my CP as a character attendant. I loved it so much, that I am currently seasonal and will be back this summer. I agree with everything that luvthephunk said. Learn to love your watch! This is by far the most important one. It is not right to have your character out any later then need be. And don't let any rude guests get to you. I had to learn this one the hard way. And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

Joanna71985,

Well since I don't have the position yet, I'll be interviewing next week. What can you suggest I highlight in my interview specific to this role? Are they looking for a certain type of person? Thanks!!!:yay:

Joanna71985,

Well since I don't have the position yet, I'll be interviewing next week. What can you suggest I highlight in my interview specific to this role? Are they looking for a certain type of person? Thanks!!!:yay:

I actually had perfomer as my first choice, so my interview was based off of that. But just let the interviewer know that your first choice is character attendant. Good luck!

I'm a character attendant now, so I'll do my best to answer your questions. I never intereviewed to be an attendant, so I can't help you there but I can help with everything else hopefully. Sorry if everything below is kind of scattered, I'm just writing as things come to me.

An average day for an attendant really isn't too tough, depending on who you are working with of course. You're biggest responsibility all day,every day is the safety of the characters and maintaining character integrity. As much as we are trained to be all about the guests, answering millions of questions and talking to them while they are in line, you need to care more about the characters. Basically, keep one eye glued on the characters and the other eye glued on guests while interacting with both the characters and guests.

If you are standing just watching your character all day, you are going to have a boring day. Talk to guests, talk to the little kids that are scared of the characters. Even more so though, interact with your characters. If you're bored up there, chances are they are too. Have fun with them, play games, make stupid comments and laugh with them. It all makes the day go by so much faster.

You're biggest responsibilities every day will be to make sure the characters are out on set on time and that they are taken off on time. That is one of the biggest points I can not emphasize enough. Wear a watch everyday, you need it. You live by your watch. Depending on where you are and who you are with each day, you may be doing 14 sets each day.

Probably the toughest part of your day, every day, will be to turn people away when you're line is closed. No matter how cute the kids are, how nice the parents are, you can't let them in once you have closed the line. If you let them in, then you have to let the next family in that sees you too. You also have to be prepared to deal with begging, angry guests or guests that will try to push their kids into line after it's been closed. It's all about sticking your ground, and being as nice as humanly possible no matter how irate a guest may be. Don't worry though, really, majority of guests are quite nice and understanding. You can never let an angry guest ruin your day.

Working with the characters is a blast. Have fun with them. Talk to as many guests as you can (while keeping at least one eye on your character at all times). It's always a blast.

Hello Everyone! I also have a question about being a Character Attendant. Im about to start my second CP program as a Character Attendant and I know the role is global but does that mean we get to work everywhere or just certain sections of the resort....Im only asking because on my last program I was in Epcot Operations but really wanted to work at Magic Kingdom. Thanks for your help!

Hello Everyone! I also have a question about being a Character Attendant. Im about to start my second CP program as a Character Attendant and I know the role is global but does that mean we get to work everywhere or just certain sections of the resort....Im only asking because on my last program I was in Epcot Operations but really wanted to work at Magic Kingdom. Thanks for your help!

That's awsome! It is such a great role. And you get to work everywhere. I mostly worked at MK, but I worked at MGM about 10 times. And you can pick up shifts at other parks.

I just need to put a plug in for the character attendents...they can be a character's life saver, literally! Keeping character integrity is so much fun to not only say, but also listen to..."Hey Pluto, let's go chase some cars!" :) or "We had to disable Buzz's wings so he doesn't fly away"...gotta love it!

Being on time is a definate must for you as well as the character. We are supposed to be able to dress ourselves, but some of the costumes make that very difficult, so the attendents assist with that sometimes as well...as long as we ask nicely. :)

Also beware that you'll probably be asked to take a TON of pictures for guests, especially if there is not a photo pass person there.

I just need to put a plug in for the character attendents...they can be a character's life saver, literally! Keeping character integrity is so much fun to not only say, but also listen to..."Hey Pluto, let's go chase some cars!" :) or "We had to disable Buzz's wings so he doesn't fly away"...gotta love it!

Being on time is a definate must for you as well as the character. We are supposed to be able to dress ourselves, but some of the costumes make that very difficult, so the attendents assist with that sometimes as well...as long as we ask nicely. :)

Also beware that you'll probably be asked to take a TON of pictures for guests, especially if there is not a photo pass person there.

Aww, thanks Natalie. That was really nice.:) And yes, certain characters will need help getting ready. Some more then others.

Thats Great news!!! I cant wait to work everywhere! Epcot was wonderful but after going to the exact same spot everyday it got a little boring and I always saw the character attendants running around having fun and I was like its looks like so much fun..I want to do that!

Thats Great news!!! I cant wait to work everywhere! Epcot was wonderful but after going to the exact same spot everyday it got a little boring and I always saw the character attendants running around having fun and I was like its looks like so much fun..I want to do that!

Where did you work in Epcot?

If you are put in the pool, and your schedule isn't gridded somewhere, you could be working wherever they have characters. Though I spend most of my time right now in the Magic Kingdom, I've also spent considerable time in Animal Kingdom, Epcot and had a chance to work at a few resorts.

If you are put in the pool, and your schedule isn't gridded somewhere, you could be working wherever they have characters. Though I spend most of my time right now in the Magic Kingdom, I've also spent considerable time in Animal Kingdom, Epcot and had a chance to work at a few resorts.

You've gotten to work at resorts?! Lucky you. I've never been scheduled there. I will try to pick up this summer.

I heard its really good....and it always smelled good whenever my boat passed by...lol

The food looks really good too! I've worked at the Garden Grill three times before and it just makes me really hungry watching everybody eat good looking food! As a matter of fact, I'm working there again in a few days and it's going to drive me nuts once again I'm sure!

You've gotten to work at resorts?! Lucky you. I've never been scheduled there. I will try to pick up this summer.

Mostly I've just done dining at the resorts...Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, the backyard barbecue at Fort Wilderness, and whatever the place at the Grand Floridian is called!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter