Charter flights and luggage

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
We are going to Mexico during March Break and we purchased some kind of flex option that includes one free checked bag. We are going via Air Transat (Charter flight). After all of the luggage issues happening across the country, I am slightly concerned about relying on a checked bag arriving in Mexico. For charter flights, is luggage handled differently since it's a direct flight? Are all of the issues happening with connecting flights? The Type A in me is slightly concerned about this LOL

The most common meaning of “charter” in aviation is where you and your party rent the plane….. usually flown in a business jet, but there are companies that will charter 747s also…. However in the most common use of the term charter, you pick the origin and destination, most often at smaller local airports closers to you and where you are going… you meet the pilot in the private terminal, they load your bags on the plane, and they hand you you bags when you land……. In this case you baggage is limited to what fits on the airplane

It sounds like what you may be talking about is more of a package deal. Where either the airline or third party travel company books a block of seats on a scheduled flight at a special rate on a scheduled flight, or they book a complete airplane and hopefully sell it out….

in either case you travel from the normal terminal, and it would look like any other airline flight ….

I’m also using US norms for what i believe to be a Canadian company, so there maybe some slight variations…..

im assuming you are traveling to either Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco…..
in which case i again assume it will look pretty much like a normal airline flight…. Handled at a normal airline gate, normal luggage check in etc…

Those are a city pair for that airline,
i would expect that you will see normal airline services…..

Air Transat would have the same luggage system as all the others. They are just a smaller airline that usually does AI trips. But I have flown with them to Greece and other parts of Europe. Like Sunwing. Luck of the draw.

Air Transat is not a ‘Charter’ airline. They are a well-established airline with permanent and seasonal routes to common vacation spots. They run Europe flights in the summer and Caribbean routes in the winter. They often are used in vacation packages because of that, but the routes you will flying are regular routes, not setup specifically for your travel package. They use the regular airport facilities.

I realize this is a broad question, but how has flying on Air Transat been? i'm more leary of them just because of the unknown (I haven't flown with them before). Looking specific for a flight-only package from Toronto to montego bay.

That is like asking how is value jet, south west, delta, or Spirit

It all depends on the day. Some people will tell you they have never had a problem, some will tell you they have never had a good flight…..

Ultimately, you usually get what you pay for in this world….

Two people on the same flight even may have completely different experiences….

As PP said, your personal experience may vary, but AT is not a notoriously problematic airline. In regular class, they offer a no-frills approach. In business, they match, often with better service, what AC Rouge is proposing in terms of comfort, food and airport-side amenities. I would not hesitate to fly with them, especially when flying to the Caribbean.

As PP said, your personal experience may vary, but AT is not a notoriously problematic airline. In regular class, they offer a no-frills approach. In business, they match, often with better service, what AC Rouge is proposing in terms of comfort, food and airport-side amenities. I would not hesitate to fly with them, especially when flying to the Caribbean.
Thanks. I realize there is no universal experience of those who have flown Air Transat, but was trying to get a sense of how problematic they compared to, for example, what happened with Sunwing flights last month.

Thanks. I realize there is no universal experience of those who have flown Air Transat, but was trying to get a sense of how problematic they compared to, for example, what happened with Sunwing flights last month.
Sunwing was founded by a low-cost vacation company wanting to be independent from the major airlines in 2005. Air Transat has been in business since 1986 and was founded by ex-CEO's from the airline industry (including the current Quebec PM). It has regular flight routes allowances, much like AC, and is considered the second national carrier on many of those routes. It is nothing like Sunwing in terms of reliability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter