China: Enchanted China Meets Thread

Anyone doing the Shanghai Disneyland excursion on day 9? I was begging ABD to arrange something, but they said it wasn't in the schedule, so DH and I are doing a very short port-tour back in Shanghai so we can do one and half days at SDL and a one day excursion out to the famous water town of Suzhou.

Anyone doing the Shanghai Disneyland excursion on day 9? I was begging ABD to arrange something, but they said it wasn't in the schedule, so DH and I are doing a very short port-tour back in Shanghai so we can do one and half days at SDL and a one day excursion out to the famous water town of Suzhou.

My DH and I will be traveling to China with you this October. It was a nice surprise that ABD has offered us the option of skipping Fuxing Park and Yu Gardens in order to go to Shanghai Disneyland on Day 9. However, we are also returning to Shanghai after the tour to go to Disney and a Watertown. If they include fastpasses we will probably go to Disneyland on day 9 and just tour Yu gardens on our own. If not, we will stick to the itinerary.

Does anyone who has traveled to China have any advice on getting a SIM card for my iphone? Is there something trustworthy to buy on Amazon? Is there a store to buy one at the Beijing airport?

Thanks,
Kathy

My DH and I will be traveling to China with you this October. It was a nice surprise that ABD has offered us the option of skipping Fuxing Park and Yu Gardens in order to go to Shanghai Disneyland on Day 9. However, we are also returning to Shanghai after the tour to go to Disney and a Watertown. If they include fastpasses we will probably go to Disneyland on day 9 and just tour Yu gardens on our own. If not, we will stick to the itinerary.

Does anyone who has traveled to China have any advice on getting a SIM card for my iphone? Is there something trustworthy to buy on Amazon? Is there a store to buy one at the Beijing airport?

Thanks,
Kathy

Cousin Orville, in his China trip report from 2014 talks about getting a VPN (Virtual Private network). Apparently, this is needed to avoid the Chinese state firewall that blocks users from using Facebook, google etc (important if you have a gmail account). I think he used Express VPN and I think you can buy it or similar on Amazon.

By the way, Hi Kathy!! Now we have 7 Dissers on this departure (out of 22 participants). Me, my husband Trevor, You and your husband, and Karen, her husband and his mom.

Cousin Orville, in his China trip report from 2014 talks about getting a VPN (Virtual Private network). Apparently, this is needed to avoid the Chinese state firewall that blocks users from using Facebook, google etc (important if you have a gmail account). I think he used Express VPN and I think you can buy it or similar on Amazon.

Sim cards - I have no clue. Have always just paid for international data/service from my carrier.

VPN - there are VPN apps that you can download onto your smartphone. You then go to that app's website to fill out and pay for what you want. I used Express VPN, but that was a couple of years ago. It worked well. Otherwise Facebook, Twitter, and many websites (and possibly email providers?) will be blocked. Even parts of DISBoards were blocked!

By the way, Hi Kathy!! Now we have 7 Dissers on this departure (out of 22 participants). Me, my husband Trevor, You and your husband, and Karen, her husband and his mom.

We are looking forward to meeting all of you very soon!

Sim cards - I have no clue. Have always just paid for international data/service from my carrier.

VPN - there are VPN apps that you can download onto your smartphone. You then go to that app's website to fill out and pay for what you want. I used Express VPN, but that was a couple of years ago. It worked well. Otherwise Facebook, Twitter, and many websites (and possibly email providers?) will be blocked. Even parts of DISBoards were blocked!

It looks like Express VPN is currently working well in China along with a few others. My husband and I will each use a different VPN just in case there are problems with one.

After investigating the SIM card situation for China , I've found two companies that will deliver the activated SIM cards to your hotel and have good reviews. It is worth the added expense to have it delivered and activated rather than finding a store and hoping the clerk speaks enough English to help. We will probably go with 3gsolutions and get the shared 3GB of data for 2 SIM cards. That company has good reviews on Tripadvisor. I'll report back our experience after the trip for future China travelers.

Love the google translate app. I was using it on the Shanghai Disneyland Chinese website. So much fun to just point the camera at Chinese characters and have them instantly translated plus they have voice translation. The translation for hotels is STAY. :)

Update: We used 3gsolutions to get the two SIM cards. The SIM cards were waiting for us at the hotel with excellent directions and worked perfectly in China (they were not for the Hong Kong portion of trip). We decided to share an Express VPN account. It worked perfectly for my husband. My internet was slow at The Shanghai Disneyland Hotel so I decided to turn off the VPN as it can slow your phone and I was not using a banned site. Unfortunately, I was never able to sign back into Express VPN from mainland China. Luckily, it was our final two days. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR VPN until you leave mainland China.

Last edited:
I am soo excited that our trip is almost here! After booking our reservations on 'opening day', it's been such a long wait! I've already started working through what to pack.

Any suggestions from previous travelers on how much to bring in Chinese currency? I know we have several 'on your own' meals, and I don't know how safe it is to use credit cards for these sorts of things.

Just two week to go! Entry Visa-check! Yuan currency-Check! VPN card-check! Housesitter booked-Check! Excited-check!
Now to figure out the packing, organize my meds, and clear my desk at work.

Any suggestions from previous travelers on how much to bring in Chinese currency? I know we have several 'on your own' meals, and I don't know how safe it is to use credit cards for these sorts of things.

You are going to have a fabulous time!

If you have a Visa card, be sure to take it. American Express isn't accepted at most establishments, other than hotels.

As far as how much cash to take that's entirely a personal decision. I prefer to take all the currency I need with me and pay for almost everything in cash, so I took quite a bit of currency. Food tends to inexpensive in most parts of China and Hong Kong, so you won't need much for the meals on your own (there really aren't too many as I recall). You can always use ATMs if needed. Be sure to get some Hong Kong dollars as well.

I'd highly recommend visiting Sam's Tailor in Hong Kong on your first day there. It's an easy walk from the Peninsula. They will measure you and custom make shirts to your measurements in 24 hours. It's a nice experience and the shirts are very well made with excellent fabric choices at an extremely reasonable price. I had 2 made and can't wait for cooler weather to arrive so I can wear them!

If you are staying an extra day I also highly recommend the afternoon tea at the Peninsula! Worth every penny. Ask the front desk or concierge to make reservations -- you won't have to wait in the long line with people that aren't staying at the hotel.

You are going to have a fabulous time!

If you have a Visa card, be sure to take it. American Express isn't accepted at most establishments, other than hotels.

As far as how much cash to take that's entirely a personal decision. I prefer to take all the currency I need with me and pay for almost everything in cash, so I took quite a bit of currency. Food tends to inexpensive in most parts of China and Hong Kong, so you won't need much for the meals on your own (there really aren't too many as I recall). You can always use ATMs if needed. Be sure to get some Hong Kong dollars as well.

I'd highly recommend visiting Sam's Tailor in Hong Kong on your first day there. It's an easy walk from the Peninsula. They will measure you and custom make shirts to your measurements in 24 hours. It's a nice experience and the shirts are very well made with excellent fabric choices at an extremely reasonable price. I had 2 made and can't wait for cooler weather to arrive so I can wear them!

If you are staying an extra day I also highly recommend the afternoon tea at the Peninsula! Worth every penny. Ask the front desk or concierge to make reservations -- you won't have to wait in the long line with people that aren't staying at the hotel.
Thanks for the tips, especially about Sam's. DH is slender with long arms and I am . . . not. Both of us have trouble finding shirts that fit well.

And we're off! Car picking us up in a few hours, then the 14 hour flight to Hong Kong and then the 3 hour onward flight to Beijing. Really looking forward to having ABD do all the work for the next two weeks!

And we're off! Car picking us up in a few hours, then the 14 hour flight to Hong Kong and then the 3 hour onward flight to Beijing. Really looking forward to having ABD do all the work for the next two weeks!
Safe travels and have a FABULOUS trip!!

Sayhello

We are officially booked on the 7/9/2017 ABD China departure. We are traveling with two boys ages 7 and 11. Is anyone else on this departure date?

Yay!!! I just called to get some information from my Vacationista about the Visa for my China ABD, and asked her numbers. We have 26, with 7 of those being kids. But the best part? She told me that the trip is listed as Guaranteed! :yay: @CaliforniaGirl09 we're good to go!! :D

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter