China Trip Report 2014

Cousin Orville, I gain a little insight from each trip report I read. Just want to thank you for the beautiful photographs, mind expanding virtual touring, and sharing the info on your preferred camera. I was in need of a good little pocket sized "idiot proof" point and shoot since my coolpix finally died. I took your advice (based on the photos) and got the Sony RX-100,M2. OMG! I took photos at my son's swim meet and they were gorgeous! I cannot wait until Arizona/Utah to see the pics. Again, thanks for the recommendation. Donna

Yes, we ended our ABD in HKDL! It was very cool. Report and pics coming soon.

I think Shanghai might be the most expensive park ever built. Right now the price tag is north of $5 Billion. DisneySea used to be the most expensive park at $4 Billion. It's going to be incredible. I would love a DCL cruise there. I think you and I might be the only ones, but if they offered it, we'd be there.

Me, My DW and DNiece would be right there with you!:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for a fantastic trip report. This really helped me in deciding to book the ABD China trip for 2015. I'm signed up for the September departure, and I can't wait!

Thank you so much for a fantastic trip report. This really helped me in deciding to book the ABD China trip for 2015. I'm signed up for the September departure, and I can't wait!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm excited for you. They changed the hotel in Hong Kong to the Peninsula - perhaps the best hotel in Hong Kong. A very impressive move by ABD. Are you adding any pre days?

If you'd like to post over in the China trip Meets thread, and let me know the date of your trip and the makeup of your traveling party, I can add you to the Roll Call on the first post of that thread. :thumbsup2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933875

That trip is definitely on my bucket list. I'm thinking about it for 2017.

Sayhello

Thanks Cousin Orville for another great trip report. I was torn between SE Asia and China, plus my non Disney DH wasn't totally on board with ABD. I did get us booked for Peru and I know he will be on board once we do that one.

So after reading both your reports, we are going to try for China in 2016. As you pointed out, ABD China just has so many of the must sees (Great Wall of China, pandas, Terracotta Warriors etc etc)

Thanks Cousin Orville for another great trip report. I was torn between SE Asia and China, plus my non Disney DH wasn't totally on board with ABD. I did get us booked for Peru and I know he will be on board once we do that one.

So after reading both your reports, we are going to try for China in 2016. As you pointed out, ABD China just has so many of the must sees (Great Wall of China, pandas, Terracotta Warriors etc etc)

Both China and SE Asia are amazing. It's hard to pick a favorite - you'll just have to do both :D Peru is still very high on my list. I'm 100% convinced your DH will love ABD. I refuse to believe anyone can go on an ABD and not be instantly addicted.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm excited for you. They changed the hotel in Hong Kong to the Peninsula - perhaps the best hotel in Hong Kong. A very impressive move by ABD. Are you adding any pre days?

Yes, I've added one pre-day in Beijing. I thought it would be good to help buffer the jet lag, and you pointed out some good things to see that are not a part of the ABD itinerary, like the Temple of Heaven and the Summer Palace.

We used The China Guide for our one full day in Beijing. They were amazing. They took us to Temple of Heaven and Summer Palace as well as for a very authentic lunch. Another suggestion is the Lama Temple...we loved it. You will have some other free times where you can do this as well during the first few days of the trip.

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at their website, and they look great. I will probably book something with them for that day before the evening welcome reception.

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at their website, and they look great. I will probably book something with them for that day before the evening welcome reception.

The day we arrived we just hung out and walked around the area. The night market is close by and totally worth a stop. We used CHINA GUIDE the day of the welcome reception. You have all day so you'll want something to do!!

BTW, the room service at the Penninsula is great!!!

Both China and SE Asia are amazing. It's hard to pick a favorite - you'll just have to do both :D Peru is still very high on my list. I'm 100% convinced your DH will love ABD. I refuse to believe anyone can go on an ABD and not be instantly addicted.

Until I read your reports, I was set on doing SE Asia first. But other than a short visit to Hong Kong in 1995, with a day trip to the mainland, I haven't done any China. On that trip I did two weeks in Thailand and someday would like to go back, but my bucket list just keeps growing and growing . . .

That's awesome. You should post a photo!

And yes, I agree, if your going to have a mediocre meal, don't drag it out into multiple long courses.

Hello Cousin Orville!

We are going to China in summer, 2016 (we were supposed to go this year but dd wanted to wait another year -- she will hopefully be somewhat fluent in Mandarin by then).

Did you research Abercrombie and Kent family tours before you booked ABD? Their tour has the 3 night cruise down the Yangtze which looks amazing. Plus the itinerary appears to have more time in the cities, with Hong Kong as an optional add-on at the end (a *must do* for us).

The prices aren't too far off (except for the additional cost of airfare and Hong Kong with Abercrombie). We LOVE ABD but want to see as much as we can while we are there!

Thoughts?

Hello Cousin Orville!

We are going to China in summer, 2016 (we were supposed to go this year but dd wanted to wait another year -- she will hopefully be somewhat fluent in Mandarin by then).

Did you research Abercrombie and Kent family tours before you booked ABD? Their tour has the 3 night cruise down the Yangtze which looks amazing. Plus the itinerary appears to have more time in the cities, with Hong Kong as an optional add-on at the end (a *must do* for us).

The prices aren't too far off (except for the additional cost of airfare and Hong Kong with Abercrombie). We LOVE ABD but want to see as much as we can while we are there!

Thoughts?

I did not research that specific AK trip but I have looked into the company before. I looked it up just now and see that the main differences are the omission of Guilin and Hong Kong and the presence of the yangtze cruise. If there was one selling point of the China ABD it was Guilin. I really wanted to see the "gumdrop" mountains. It was amazing and my favorite part of a great trip. I don't know how that length of the Yangtze compares, but I would choose the ABD because of Guilin.

I did not research that specific AK trip but I have looked into the company before. I looked it up just now and see that the main differences are the omission of Guilin and Hong Kong and the presence of the yangtze cruise. If there was one selling point of the China ABD it was Guilin. I really wanted to see the "gumdrop" mountains. It was amazing and my favorite part of a great trip. I don't know how that length of the Yangtze compares, but I would choose the ABD because of Guilin.

That was exactly the same rationale that I used in selecting ABD over other tours. Alexander + Roberts had a very good private tour itinerary that was quite similar to the ABD for less money. I ultimately chose ABD because of the addition of Guilin (and Cousin Orville's pictures) and the opportunity to visit Hong Kong Disneyland as a part of the tour. Also, ABD seemed to add in more extras as a part of the trip that were optional excursions with the other tour companies. The only downside to the ABD trip (other than cost), was that they don't include actually holding the pandas. Based upon everything I've read, I'm probably going to fork over the extra money to do that. It's definitely one of those once in a lifetime things!

Thank you. Those are great points. ABD also has a wider selection of dates, so it will probably win us over (the new Rosewood Beijing also looks amazing; I hope they don't change that for 2016!). Now I just have to wait until the dates for 2016 come out to book!!

Back to reading about Australia for our upcoming trip!

I really enjoyed your report! Thanks for all of the detail. China seems so intimidating to me, and this report really broke it down.

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter