Coke freestyle machines—is it really progress?

I'm glad to see your comment. I don't think I've ever had a Coke or Cherry Coke from a Freestyle machine that tasted right and wondered if I was just imagining things. When it comes to taste, I prefer to use a normal bag-in-box soda dispenser over a Freestyle machine.

I've watched them refill it at Uni, and they are these weird little boxes of very concentrated flavoring. Makes total sense that they aren't going to taste the same.

I was curious if they were as problematic in other Disney resorts. I love much about Beach club, but their main quick service is not my favorite. Poly is much better laid out for this. However, if they are all like the one at BC—yes, it was a headache. I did say something to one cast member, and he could mutter to me he wasn’t a fan either. It will go on my survey if they send me one. The best option would be to also have a regular one for folks who want just quick in/out.

I was curious if they were as problematic in other Disney resorts. I love much about Beach club, but their main quick service is not my favorite. Poly is much better laid out for this. However, if they are all like the one at BC—yes, it was a headache. I did say something to one cast member, and he could mutter to me he wasn’t a fan either. It will go on my survey if they send me one. The best option would be to also have a regular one for folks who want just quick in/out.

Yes! If they added one or two of these IN ADDITION to the regular fountains it wouldn't be a big deal at all. Alas, I'm sure it's not cost effective.

I think with all the different options and flavors the machine does not really clear the last beverage from its last dispense. In the regular world, I run the freestyle machine for few seconds to clear out the line and I find it usually helps with taste. At Disney with a Rapid Refill mug, this is not an option.

I just did a YC/GF split stay and encountered numerous backups at these machines. One huge annoyance for me was that the ice liked to lodge itself in the cup tray and it made it difficult to actually get a mug flat. This spot is also not as apparent as the trays on the old machines and I have witnessed this being a pain point in line.

Another thing that caused me delays, especially at Gasparilla was that the both machines did not have all the syrups. One day the left machine would have certain beverages grayed out and the next day the right. I would wait in one line to then have to go to the other line. Sometimes both were out and I had to pick a different option alltogether.

I also noticed that the machines liked to spit out the concentrated syrup and I have had black dots on my hand and cup.

I drink a lot of diet soda so I utilize the machines at multiple resorts. I will continue to do so, but I hope it gets a little easier.

One of two freestyle machines at the Beach Club started having problems during our trip last month. One time I tried to use it and it was set to Spanish and I couldn't get it to change to English. Luckily lemon is the same in both languages. :)

One of the problems with the screen was that it was slow to respond to your touch and people were impatient and would keep hitting all the buttons without waiting for it to load. I was usually only getting ice water and it was frustrating to wait behind people who were having problems working the machine. They need a separate ice and water machine. It would shorten the line at the freestyle machine.

Another vote against the Freestyle machines.

On our way down in June, we stopped at the Busy Bee (which I love) and had lunch at the Burger King there.

A teen group was there...maybe about 10. They were polite but they just couldn't seem to decide what flavor they wanted. They had to look through all the choices and the group kept ebbing and flowing as some would make a choice and leave and then come back to see what their friends were choosing/doing.

The line kept growing and really there wasn't much place for the line to go.

Just as everyone seems to be against those machines, I would like to mention positive experiences we've had (at the POFQ so far). Barely a line, and having diabetes, the ability of selecting carb-free drinks that usually do not exist is a very welcomed one.

I love them.

I can't have caffeine (well anymore then what you find in chocolate). I also can't have citrus based drinks. So my options are super slim and many times, especially with Coke, that means I have 0 options. The Freestyle machines allow me to actually have a choice of something besides water if I want to. Plus, in the Freestyle machines, the Barq's rootbeer is actually caffeine free!

I like them too. Maybe I'm not very picky. I drink flavored seltzer water and haven't noticed any residual colors or flavors at restaurants or WDW.

I had a completely separate question. At CBR they put the freestyle machines in the ice machine rooms throughout the resort due to the construction. It was incredibly convenient when we got back to the room after a long day in the parks to walk around the corner and get a drink. I would never pay for the refillable mugs on their own (came with the DP), but if they're that convenient, I would definitely buy a few mugs for our trips.

Does anyone know if they'll be adding more freestyle machines throughout resorts?

As my youngest will be 3 for our next trip, our family of 6 has outgrown moderates and will probably be getting two rooms at ASMo next trip.

I like them too. Maybe I'm not very picky. I drink flavored seltzer water and haven't noticed any residual colors or flavors at restaurants or WDW.

I had a completely separate question. At CBR they put the freestyle machines in the ice machine rooms throughout the resort due to the construction. It was incredibly convenient when we got back to the room after a long day in the parks to walk around the corner and get a drink. I would never pay for the refillable mugs on their own (came with the DP), but if they're that convenient, I would definitely buy a few mugs for our trips.

Does anyone know if they'll be adding more freestyle machines throughout resorts?

As my youngest will be 3 for our next trip, our family of 6 has outgrown moderates and will probably be getting two rooms at ASMo next trip.

I drink flavoured carbonated water too, so for me, the freestyle machines are a big plus. They are the only reason I bought the refillable resort mug.

I would not anticipate more machines placed throughout other resorts, unless maybe they add them around the more spread out places like POR and CSR. Didn't I read somewhere that the soda machines are available 24/7 at the All Stars resorts? I thought it had something to do with their location and the fact that they aren't connected at all to the gift shop (unlike Pop Century, for example). I could very much be wrong about that.

Its in Disney's best interest to use them...they know they are slow...and are hoping u will just give up and walk away...more money in their pocket!
I know a regional mgr of Wendy's...and he told me that's exactly why they put them in his stores...hoping to slow down the refills and save the restaurants money!

Add me to the "not a fan" list. They have them at the movie theaters around here and it is annoying. The one advantage at the theater is I can run "my" choice of plain diet Coke for a few seconds to get the dregs of whatever nasty combination the person before me selected out. You couldn't do that at Disney with the RFID-chipped cups.

Someone mentioned a positive experience at POFQ with the Freestyle machines. POFQ is the one exception to this problem. The resort is tiny and they have 4 machines. We stayed at the BC in May. They only have 2 coke machines. It was painful standing there watching people try to use these machines.

We stayed at both the BC and YC last month for 4 nights each and I never encountered a line for either. I either walked right up or waited for 1 person.
I for one love the freestyle machines- I get Diet Coke with ginger lime or raspberry. I’m always excited when I see a place with the freestyle Machines. My kids love lemonade with orange added, and like being able to also get the hi-c with added flavor if they feel like something differwnt. I agree the ginger lime DC tastes different from the machine than a can, but I like both. So I’m in the camp of hoping they put them everywhere, we missed them when we moved to the CR. I did notice that the touch screens at the YC/BC were slow to respond and I would get caught where I would hit it again, then realize it had responded right before that and I would get a screen I don’t want and have to go back. That happened a lot.

I like the freestyle machines in general - especially the beverage variety they provide. Kids enjoy the interactive element of getting their drinks using the touchscreen. That said, I can understand the criticism when you are talking about the volume of people in a resort like Disney (I experienced the same long waits on a Royal Caribbean cruise that used the freestyle machines). I guess the perfect solution would be to have a traditional soda station for the popular drinks and a freestyle station? If only I was in charge...lol!

I'm also a fan of the Freestyle machines, I admit it. I don't drink sugared sodas and I love having the option of all those sugar-free flavors.

I’m a fan of more selection of soda. Last year we were at POR and the Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero takes up half of the options of the fountains... when we would go to POFQ I loved having actual variety.

As noted earlier run water for a second to rinse out the nozzle. Then select Pibb Zero with cherry vanilla and enjoy... 1000 choices exist so you can try 999 less tasty beverages lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter