• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Kids-Do you vacation with your parents?

Disney01

Mouseketeer
Just wondering how many of you still go on vacation with your parents? Do you enjoy it? Do you go to WDW? My son is not yet that age, but am already mourning the day when he won't want to go with us anymore. I think sometimes boys pull away more than girls.

Yes, I still vacation with my parents and I'm 20. We were just in Disney World over spring break, and I've gone on a few trips with just my dad and one of my sisters. I think it would be fun to vacation with friends, but I do still have fun with my family. :)

i love going on vacation with my parents (i mean, they pay for it, why wouldn't i?). it's always nice to spend time with the family when college can be kind of annoying, it's a great way to get away from the stress. not to mention, my friends never wanted to go on vacation in college, the furthest they would go is boston and come to think of it, i never even went there with them...

my family planned a disney cruise when i was in college and i thought it was great, we also spent some time at the parks afterwards. we're going to california soon and stopping at disneyland for a day or two as well.

I vacation with my grandmother, aunt(s), uncle(s), and cousins. I don't have anything to do with my mom or dad. In fact, I still live with my grandmother and grandfather even though I'm in college. Don't have to pay rent or bills, live like I did back in high school- clean my room and everything is peachy

going on my first unsupervised trip to disney on the 4th of july with one of my friends (both of us 19yo guys).

can't wait!

plus I didn't ask my parents for a DIME to help pay for it which makes it even more better lol :)

I'm 22 and just graduated from college. I always took my summer and spring break trips with my parents (I'm an only child) and loved them; I was so busy during the year that I barely got to spend real, quality time with them even though I still lived at home and commuted.

As for Disney, we're off to WDW this Friday! :cheer2: I've heard too that sometimes boys pull away sooner than girls, but I think it depends on the person and the family; no guy friends I know of take trips with their parents now, but myself and all of my girl friends take trips with our parents, siblings, etc. It's really going to depend on your son, I'd say.
~Kelly

Yep, I still do! My mom and sister are two of my best friends, so I enjoy it. I go to WDW with them as well as most of their other vacations, depending on my school/work schedules.

Disney01 said:
Just wondering how many of you still go on vacation with your parents? Do you enjoy it? Do you go to WDW? My son is not yet that age, but am already mourning the day when he won't want to go with us anymore. I think sometimes boys pull away more than girls.
I am going to be 20 this year, going into my third year of college and I still love going to WDW and on Disney Cruises with my parents. Of course, they do pay for just about everything. I am also a daddy's girl, so my dad will buy me a lot of things. It's rather nice. They like to be able to spend money on me since being away at school they don't get to pay for the little things anymore.

But to touch on your topic of boys pulling away sooner...I remember my brother, who is 30 now, stopped going on vacation with us his first year or so of college. So I've gotten used to it just being me and my parents over the years. He started going on vacation with his girlfriend (now wife). But it was extremely sad, I missed him a lot. I think boys in general don't want to go on vacation with their family, but it's nothing personal. They just grow out of it. Me, I will always be a Disney fan! :) Now if I could just get my parents to let my boyfriend come with us. I would be 100% happy.

I hope your son doesn't give up on you too soon.

-Karen

I'm turning 22 in August and have 2 more trips before the end of the year planned with my mom. We've always been close though, and I can't vacation with my friends as they are ALWAYS broke!

Disney01 said:
I still go to Disneyland with my mom. :) But I did go with my boyfriend this past Jan. also. My brother did pull away more. We did get him to go with this past July to Disneyland and he enjoyed riding Indy, Splash, BTRR and ToT and Screamin' in DCA. (He was sad to not see Space Mountain). It all depends on the kid because my boyfriend still goes with his parents and family on vacations also. I guess you just have to hope for the best and go on the vacations they want to go on. ;)

It depends anymore...Mainly it depends on what my schedule is, and where they are going. I'm 22, and things don't always work out where I can go. Last summer my parents and brother went to Maine, while I was unable as I was working a job I couldn't get away from. Now parents are planning on going to WDW in the spring to watch my brother march, and I am doing everything I can in order to go. I've already been told I have to provide my own way to and from (since I'd be missing school, I'd have to fly and they're driving) and I have to come up with my own spending money, but that's really only fair.

i just went to disney when they went in January, my brother and i each had a friend with us,,,but in november i am going with my mom,dad, brother, and uncle..i still go away with my friends, but its still fun

Yep I do and i am Turning 23.

Well lets be more to the point I am takeing them on vacation to WDW. I went to WDW 4 years ago for my High School Senior Trip. It was a blast and have wanted to go back ever since. Well i finaly saved enough to take my parents and all of my brother and siters to WDW we are even stayin onsite at ASMo and have 7day hoper tickets and the dining plan.

Teens and Colleage age kids might not want to hang with the folks, but once the get a litter older they start to realize that they wont be around for ever and you should make the most of the time you do have. Besides its WDW everyone from any age can find something fun to do either as a large family group or in smaller groups.

Looking forward to our first WDW vacation.

-ChipNDale

I'm almost 23 and I still vacation with my parents. About 3 weeks ago, I went with them and my sister (she's 19) to WDW. Soon my family will be going camping up in the UP (I'm staying in the UP in the summer, while my parents live downstate) and I plan on spending a few days with them. My family is very close and we enjoy spending time with each other. We have certain traditions that we do every year and have been doing them for many years now. I enjoy spending time with my parents and sister.

I still go on holiday (or vacation, if you prefer!) with my parents. Going away with friends is fun also, but I wouldn't always pick that over going away with family.

In my first summer of Uni we went to the Carribean and this easter we went to the Canaries, we're going to South Africa next year and I just can't wait!

I think (as shallow as it sounds!) the fact that parents will pay for you to go somewhere nice is a big incentive to go! But if my parents were just going to Cornwall for a weekend I'd still want to go, I think!

Lots of my friends have said that since going to college they enjoy spending time with their family lots more, because unlike the last years of school you have your independence and can chose when to be with them, and when you are with them they treat you more like an adult.

nmudisneyfan said:
(I'm staying in the UP in the summer, while my parents live downstate)

The UP in the summer should be beautiful. (Winter, not so much, unless you really love snow ;))

(disclaimer: I've only ever spent about 5 mins in the UP ... We were in the Mackinac area, and I wanted to drive the bridge, just to say that I had done it (I had just gotten my license), so we drove over, turned around, and came back to the LP)

I still do, my mom, aunt, cousin, and I are actually going to wdw from sept. 30- Oct 4. It should be lots of fun.

I really do enjoy going on vacation with my parents. Even though i'm 21, we always have a great time, its amazing how you sometimes forget the littlest things like spending time with your family, there's nothing in the world that makes me happier. How old is your son? Highschool aged kids go through phases, they like spending much more time with their friends and think that family time is boring, but they soon realize that it's much more than that, and they start to appreciate family vacations more. family is always there, friends aren't. I went through that phase and I regret it because I missed out on so many great occassions. I have been to disney world with my boyfriends family for the past 3 years and I absolutly adored it! I wouldn't trade it in for anything! :teeth:

I'm 23 and getting married next June and I still go on vacations with my family. I love spending time with them. :) We've taken to including my DFi and my little sister's DBF (both 21) on our trip for this year (and probably the years to come), so it's a whole family event. We're already planning a DCL vacation for 2009 when my parents retire. We also go by ourselves or with friends. It's a great balance and I don't see it stopping any time soon.

My husband vacationed with his parents until we got married. He was 25. out of school, and working full time. His unmarried sisters (they're both in their 30's) still vacation with the parents. The adult children do pay their own way, though. Even in high school they were expected to have their own spending money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter