College Kids-Do you vacation with your parents?

Thanks everyone! There is a hope, although I did notice most of you are girls! I'm trying not to be a "clingy" mother. I've totally removed the words "family time" from my vocabulary, because he rolls his eyes at me when I say that!!

Wish i could go to Maine with my family this summer, but with 2 jobs and 2 classes i don't think it's going to happen.

Oh well, at least i'll have the house to myself

I'm 21 and my sister is 18 and we love going on vacation with our parents. With everyone having work and my sister and I having school, we don't get much family time. Of course when we go on vacation there are also times when we let our parents do their own thing while we do ours. This year we're finally going to WDW again. We'll be taking my boyfriend and my sister's boyfriend (20 and 17). They're like part of the family since they're over here almost everyday, so it should be fun.

I usually go on a lot of vacations with my parents but of alot of my college buddies and i just randomly hop to an airport and peep out for a while, esp in the summer when we aren't in school or in the middle of the swim season. If you guys have the money i recommend you start gettin in the game and travel around!

SurfedUpDane said:
I usually go on a lot of vacations with my parents but of alot of my college buddies and i just randomly hop to an airport and peep out for a while, esp in the summer when we aren't in school or in the middle of the swim season. If you guys have the money i recommend you start gettin in the game and travel around!
So why haven't you hopped on a plane to Indy yet, hmmmm Kyle? ;)

I'm 22 and still vacation with my parents. When we go to WDW, I always go with mom. And when we vacation locally, I usually go with both of my parents.

I have not gone with my friends to one. Our schedules never go along.

My trip in August will be with my parents. I'm bringing a friend though because I've gone on previous trips with just them and have been miserable and didn't want that to happen in the Happiest Place on Earth. LOL. Plus we'll be able to go off and do our thing while my parents do their own thing which they like to do on occassion. Also my mom won't worry as much as if it was just me.

Disney01

Your son might pull away, but he'll come back. When we last went to WDW me and my brother (15 and turning 18 respectively) were allowed quite a lot of freedom, which meant we didnt get so 'teenagery' and spoil things!

For instance, we had those tickets that let you go to universal/sea world etc as much as you like, so one day me and my brother went to Islands of Adventure by ourselves and our parents went to that small town (Winter something...? with boats on a lake and shops and non-manufacturedness!) for the day. Because we'd had time apart we could have dinner etc. without feeling overly on top of each other.

I think it also works because we tend to rent villas, not hotel rooms, so we can have a room to ourselves and space to read/watch tv/chill without feeling that you are boring someone else.

I think a bit of organisation and co-operation is necessary to make it work out as kids become big kids/young adults, but it can still be really fun! You just have to treat the holiday as if you were going with a group of adults with different interests.

I do still take trips with my parents. Like a few of you said its free and usually a lot of fun. I mean I would rather take trips to places like Cancun and California (the past two places I've been with my friends) but its always nice to have a family vacation... and what better place to do it then WDW!

OP, I feel for you.
My son just turned 24 and has never come to WDW or any vacations with us since he was about 16. We have 2 other kids 16 and 12. Grand parents are coming along too.
In his early years, we had nothing. We are doing well now and try to travel twice a year.
I asked him to come on our trip in Aug. I told him he could bring his girlfriend.
An incentive by me so he would come along. WELL!!! they broke up!! He "really doesn't want to come now". I am a bit hurt. I'm sad for him but I'm encouraging him to come along. Bringing someone else is out. The flights are booked. He will have plenty of space as we have a studio ( grandparents) and a 2 br villa at the beachclub.
I do hope he will come. The last WDW trip was in 8th grade with his Aunt. He does not remember much of it.
We always have a great time on holidays ETC. It would be great to be a whole family for a week.
Suzz

New Poster! :wave2:

I'm 21 and am going to WDW with my mother in August, a pre-graduation present. I have always vacationed with my mom since I was little. Occasionally I've brought my boyfriend as well but this trip its just her and me! I think b/c I'm older now I appreciate spending time with my mom. As for boys pulling away, I think sometimes boys tend to pull away more in high school than college, alot grow up and realize that their familys are important too. My boyfriend still vacations every summer with his family and he's almost 21 as well. Hopefully your son will come around, just keep being there for him, he'll appreciate it some day even if he doesn't now ;)

My son who is 18 and just graduated from high school didn't go with us this year. I expect after being in college and poor for the next year he'll probably change his mind and be glad to go on a free vacation with us next time. Missed him this year...

Well I'm 24 and I see myself vacationing with my family for years to come (especially if my parents become DVC members! HA!). Maybe I'm just weird but I can't imagine not vacationing with family. We're all just too much of a part of each other I think.

I'm 22 and just finished college. I'm an only child and going with my parents in September for a week!!! I always go on vacations w/my parents. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's so much fun. I also went to WDW last year with just my friends. Any trip to WDW is a good trip!!!!! :)

absolutely still go on vacations with parents - it's FREE that way.

p.s. hello, i havent been here in ages.

I'm going to be 25 on my next trip in Nov. It will be myself, my sister, my parents and my best friend who has never been! I hope to vacation with them for a long time to come! Disney isn't the same without them! The only difference this year is that we are using my DVC so they do not have to pay for hotels and I bought them their passes! I can't afford to foot the whole bill for everyone, but it helps having some free tickets and getting my CM discount!

Now I just have to wait and see how my friend likes it. He has never been on a family vacation and he tends to think Disney is a bit silly!

My family and I just returned from a huge vacation (Caribbean cruise and Disney World) about two and a half weeks ago. I just turned 24, and my brother is 23. I agree with the above poster; it just wouldn't be the same for us without the entire family there!

My family is very close. I'm 19 and still vacation with them.

Last summer, I was only 18 at the time, we went to Florida for 3 weeks. We spent a week in Daytona with my aunt and uncle, a week in WDW, and then the last week in Key Largo and Key West. Although we got on each other's nerves (we went with our big camper so it was close quarters!) it was the best vacation I could ever have asked for... It was my graduation present.

This past March, I went to WDW with my Nana, Pop Pop, uncle, and sister for 5 days. That trip was a little more tense because my grandparents didn't realize that we were able to go off to the parks by ourselves and we had some disagreements, but all it took was a phone call home and it was straightened out.

We just bought a brand new Chevy pick-up, a dooley (the "big butt truck"), and 5th wheel and so we go on mini-vacations. They're just a long weekend type deal, but it's a nice break to get away from the house and be with each other. We're also planning on going back to Florida this coming summer - our last family vacation. Ever. I'm applying for the WDW CP and will only be home for about 2 months in 2006, because in August I'm moving to St. Augustine to finish my last 2 years of college at Flagler College.

Yes, my life is totally planned, LOL, but that's the way I like it! :) And I enjoy vacationing with my parents very much.

Not me. I have to live with them while I go to University here so it's good enough to get away from them when I get a break. As much as I would love to go to WDW, more likely it would be somewhere where I know people I can stay with such as NYC, California, or even other parts of central Florida. Now if they said that we were going to *insert place here* and I could do whatever I wanted and only had to spend one day with them with no spending limit, I would be in for that.

BTW- I'm 19 and in my second year of Uni.

Yep I do. Just got back a few days ago from Boardwalk Villas. I went with my mom. Last Reading Week in February I went with both my parents. As long as they keep asking me to come, I'll keep going!!! They are DVC members so all it costs me is airfare.

I went with school (band and choir) once in grade 11. My parents came as chaperones. It was cool to go off with my friends, but I felt sometimes that they didn't really "get" Disney, so sometimes I went off with my parents. I think that was the best though... best of both worlds! lol My parents went without me in March (I couldn't get the time off of university) and I just felt so left out, but it was really nice to have the house to myself hehe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter