columbus day-questions for locals

ohiodad

Mouseketeer
read somewhere that alot of the local schools will be in session on columbus day because of lost time do to the hurricanes, is this correct? thanks and hope everyone affected by the hurricanes are doing ok

I just looked at the Orange County Public Schools Calendat webpage, and it looks like the schools were never scheduled to be off on that day. Instead, they had been scheduled for holidays on the 14th and 15th, but those days are now make up days.

Jaygatz- Thanks! We will be at the POLY 13th -15th. Maybe we will see you there.

what do you think about the crowds the week before columbus day?

we'll be there the wk before Columbus - checking out that Fri

we are going from the 5th to the 12th. How do you think the crowds will be for that weekend?

area schools are usually in session on Columbas day and off later in the week after Columbus day and the crowds on Columbus day weekend are CRAZY especially at MK...avoid that park if you can::yes::

On columbus day we are going to Animal kingdom and mgm for fantasmic. So we should be fine up untill columbus day?

the columbus weekend?

we will be there oct 12-19

the coundown is really going fast now

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

thanks for any advice

Dznypal, I'm wondering the same thing. We will be there 11-17 October and am hoping for low crowds.

I posed the crowd question on another board--asking for a contrast between the time we are there and Christmas--New Year since that is a good reference point for me (we are gluttons for crowd madness at Christmas time:) ) Anyway, the response I received seemed to indicate no worries. One response even said that historically the responder had not encountered any waits over 15 minutes in length. So, I believe that the crowds will not be a problem. i just hope Disney does not decide to save money by not opening/running both sides of rides at this time. We went to Six Flags a couple of weeks back and the parking lot was empty, but every ride had an enormous line as they were running the bare minimum cars on each ride. That is, only loading from one side when a ride has the capability of loading from multiple points. This, to me, has the greatest potential to affect wait times.

polkadotminnie--
Have y'all been to the Poly before? I can't wait to get there:teeth: Yes, maybe we will run into each other.

Based on my experience from our trip during Columbus Day week last year, I would NOT advise planning to visit MK on Columbus Day. The crowds were Christmas-week crazy. We were there from Sun before Columbus Day to Sun after. As the week progressed, the crowds fell off.

My concern is that more school systems here in TN are taking the entire Columbus Day week off for Fall Break. Last year, the private schools took the whole week and the public schools took 2 days. This year, both private and public schools are taking the whole week off.

Jaygatz- We have not stayed at the Poly before so we are very excited. We have enjoyed all the Disney resorts that we have stayed at so I'm sure this won't be a disappointment. Are ya'll doing MNSSHP? We are going on the 14th.
Epscot- A lot of Alabama schools are off that week too.

We will be there the week before again this year. Hopefully it won't be as crowded as last year. It was pretty bad the closer it got to Columbus Day weekend, but it was the week of the press event for Wishes and the FTP package was offered. I am really hoping for low crowds, but I'll take what I get cause I'll be at WDW!!!!!

Why are the kids having that much time off this eary in the year. Didn't they just begin the end of August to the begining of September? There are no schools off here in RI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter