Compression socks in the parks

I use ankle compression socks from Dr. Motion. They come in cute colors/patterns and you can get them at Amazon or Kohl's. I just use them as my everyday socks now for the arch support they provide in addition to the circulation :)

They're pretty thick, but breathable. I've used them in the parks and never felt that my feet were hot because of them.

I have some. I still need to test them out some more. The material is so itchy and I haven’t been able to find them in any cotton variety. I like Bombas because they just feel and look like normal socks.

But, yeah. I have no issues with my feet swelling. Would love to just wear my waking sandals.

Cut the feet off the bombas ones then!

That’s what my husband said. They are so expensive someone will have to do it for me. I can’t do it! I can’t mutilate them myself.

Take them to a seamstress at a dry cleaners or something and they can probably do it in a professional way (and seal the cut end so it doesn't unravel).

I have had DVT and Pulmonary embolism so I have to wear them. I have some that are more like knee highs. They are not super thick sock like ones. I get skin toned and wear with thin Capri pants. No one ever knows I have them on and they save my legs.

I started wearing compression socks several months ago and wore them at WDW for the first time the second week of May. Mine are about mid-calf high. I had no issues. The temps ranged from highs of 84 to 90 each day, though it cooled off a bit at night, probably more than it will in September.
I've gone annually (at least) to Disney for 12 years now, and have occasionally gotten the Disney rash, though not for the past 4-5 years. Our trips have been in all seasons except fall.

There are great lightweight compression socks made for runners, that are just above ankle high. Your local running shop should have tons of them. They come in cute patterns so you might not mind if they show

Take them to a seamstress at a dry cleaners or something and they can probably do it in a professional way (and seal the cut end so it doesn't unravel).
That’s a great idea. I have a really good seamstress I use for everything.

I use Pro Compression brand, and I’ve worn them my last few trips to Disney including a trip mid-June. I didn’t find the socks made me any hotter. These are moisture wicking and I really liked that when it rained buckets my feet didn’t feel all wet and soggy like with cotton socks.
I bought fun patterns to wear with my shorts which often led to conversations with strangers. In fact, the rainbow striped socks got lots and lots of compliments when I happened to wear them in early June- I had forgotten at the time that it was Pride week.

Knee length compression socks are the only way I can survive a full day at Disney and still be able to function the next day.

I'm going to WDW in Sept as well and need a compression sock or sleeve for my right calf. I tore both muscles last spring and they decided to retear a couple of months ago. I've been wearing the compression sleeve for a couple of weeks, and it feels great. It was from Amazon, plain black, but I can add Disney characters with my heat press, and it feels super lightweight. I think the brand is "Run Forever". I just can't stand socks or closed toe shoes, so even if I end up wearing tennis shoes, compression socks would be too heavy for me. :)

I'm going to WDW in Sept as well and need a compression sock or sleeve for my right calf. I tore both muscles last spring and they decided to retear a couple of months ago. I've been wearing the compression sleeve for a couple of weeks, and it feels great. It was from Amazon, plain black, but I can add Disney characters with my heat press, and it feels super lightweight. I think the brand is "Run Forever". I just can't stand socks or closed toe shoes, so even if I end up wearing tennis shoes, compression socks would be too heavy for me. :)
I must be trying all the wrong compression sleeves because they just have not worked well for me.

I have worn tall compression socks for over ten years due to varicose veins, have had all sorts of treatments, they just keep coming back lol
Yes, I wear them to Disney in the hot weather months. It varies, though, how long I keep them on. Usually all day, but I have taken them off at end of day if I have brought a bag to stash them in.
I also buy fun designs, if I can find them. But I need 20-30 mmhg, and most places don’t make cute ones with that amount. My go-to are CEP Compression, they make socks and gear for runners. I wear them for running and everyday. I buy the tall socks, yes they are expensive but better quality than most. They also have the ankle ones.
Have gotten my sister into wearing them, but she likes the ones with no feet. We have been in Disney before when she doesn’t wear them and I do, and she ends up with that rash.

Thanks for all the brand suggestions, guys. I have spent quite a bit of $$ off of your recommendations this week. Hopefully one of the purchases will be a winner!

My husband and I are going in two weeks for our honeymoon. What are some compression socks you have used successfully? I want to buy some for both of us before we leave

Anyone wear compression socks in WDW and live to tell the tale?
Yes, but it was a compression sleeve- no toes, and it was winter. I've been to WDW many times in summer and would wear the sleeve in summer.

One thing to know though is that WDW often has torrential downpours in September. You might get lucky and not see any rain, but I always plan for rain. Storms tend to happen in the afternoon through evening. Sometimes they only last 10minutes, other times they last hours.

When it rains, the puddles can be quite deep, and you might not have a good way to avoid them. We once came out of Buzz, and there was way to avoid the 4-inch-deep puddle.

Wet sneakers can be VERY stinky. It is a nasty odor! In the humidity, they are often VERY SLOW to air dry, like 3-4 days slow. For summer trips, i usually prefer water tolerant/waterproof sandals. We bring both- and often swap mid-day if it looks like rain. Watching the weather every day is helpful, but a chance of rain every day is normal.

If you are thinking to wear socks, I suggest packing multiple pairs. Washing them could also work.

I have been very happy with the ankle sleeve I bought, and it allows my toes to be uncovered. If it were to rain, it would also be easy to keep it dry by simply pulling it up (on my leg) until the storm passes.

Another option you might wish to consider is something call "Pro" kinesiology tape. Get one of the name brands- KT or Rocktape. Don't buy knock-off brands. there are a number of ways to tape an ankle. You might need to experiment to find the best option, but the tape can get wet, and lasts several days, though you might also feel like removing after a few days. It is easy to use, but if you want it to stick properly, it is VERY important to apply it correctly. A physical therapist might be able to help show you how to use Kt tape for optimal benefit. Sometimes you might want to stretch it, other times no.

One option is to get the wide pre-cut tape strips, then you cut fingers on the bottom 3/4 of the strips. Then you spread the fingers out. That style of wrapping it is very breathable, and your foot has room to swell. (which happens walking at WDW) This might not be what you are seeking though.

You can even combine KT tape and a compression sleeve.

Just adding another brand of compression socks that work well. I use Sockwell compression socks when I travel (we fly from Hawaii to WDW). They come in cute designs and have varying degrees of mmHg As well as sizes, lengths, and socks for different activities. They’re slightly less expensive than bombas.

I used to wear 2XU compression pants to the gym. They are pricey, but the also have some great deals in the clearance section. I'm not sure if this helps, but thought I'd chime in with another brand. https://us.2xu.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter