Considering First Ever Solo Trip - Tips, Suggestions, and Advice?

We have a daughter that works at Walt Disney World so we take turns going to visit her. Since she can get us in free we definitely enjoy a few days with her but we also always go to the parks a day or 2 without her. As most people have said, being able to do what you want without trying to make everyone happy is awesome! You can actually walk through France and not have to rush to get on Remy. Do the Monorail Resort tour. Go see the stunning lobbies at the Fort Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Too many choices to list them all!
My DD worked there until Covid. That perk is what I miss most!

Thank you! I have 2 super good deal plane tickets; one for September ($39) and one for October ($58). Each is for 2 full day and one night, so I'm watching for super hotel deals and excited but still a little nervous.

This post has helped so much! Excited to hear about your solo maiden voyage too!!
Wow! I paid that much to Uber to the airport!

I’m thinking of going on my own in the spring when my husband needs to be away for a week.
I hate being home on my own so I thought maybe Disney.
I repeat: Do it! You quickly realize nobody is looking at you. To a certain extent everyone is in their own cocoon. You can choose your interactions, whether with CMs or other guests. I don’t like eating alone in public but I can either do QS or decide it’s my only chance to eat here for a while so it’s worth the awkwardness. Plus it’s easier to get a reservation for one (or two and just show up as a single).

I repeat: Do it! You quickly realize nobody is looking at you. To a certain extent everyone is in their own cocoon. You can choose your interactions, whether with CMs or other guests. I don’t like eating alone in public but I can either do QS or decide it’s my only chance to eat here for a while so it’s worth the awkwardness. Plus it’s easier to get a reservation for one (or two and just show up as a single).
I’m ok dining solo. I usually have something to read or just focus on my meal. I usually request a table away from people if possible or sit at the counter in a diner or bar. I do worry people are thinking loser but in real life I’m pretty sure they don’t even notice me.

Next week, I will take my very first solo trip to WDW. It's only for one night, but just a change of scenery is what I need right now. I am slightly worried about family memories popping up while they are not with me, so I hope I don't feel sad and alone amongst all the vacationing families.
I have no particular plans for parks or meals, so I plan to just wing it and wander, go with the flow, and meander and mosey wherever my heart leads me.
Wish me luck!!

When dining solo at WDW, I've enjoyed the opportunity to really focus on the theming at each restaurant, which I tend to not notice as much when dining with anyone. I feel this is one of the main advantages of solo dining for those who like theming, and to me it would be a waste to spend most of that time reading a book or looking at my phone.

OP, I see that by now you've probably done one or two solo trips. How did they turn out?

Next week, I will take my very first solo trip to WDW. It's only for one night, but just a change of scenery is what I need right now. I am slightly worried about family memories popping up while they are not with me, so I hope I don't feel sad and alone amongst all the vacationing families.
I have no particular plans for parks or meals, so I plan to just wing it and wander, go with the flow, and meander and mosey wherever my heart leads me.
Wish me luck!!
Have a great trip.

How was your solo trip?

Wish me luck!!

Sorry for the delayed update! I am so grateful to everyone for all of the wonderful advice and insight!

My 2 day September trip was...a learning experience? The flight was easy, the parks were lovely. I did learn a few things - curious on others' thoughts.

1) I hopped from Animal to Magic Kingdom the first day; Hollywood to Epcot the second. That was too much - I learned that less is more. And Epcot was/is my favorite solo park.

2) Too much food!! I typically share meals with my daughter; we share big desserts like cupcakes between 3 of us. Even kids meals seemed too much. I actually had to throw away 2/3 of a Karamel Kuche cupcake. It was tragic.

3) Great hotel deal = empty resort = sad, deserted, and low key creepy. I stayed at Saratoga, and was THE ONLY PERSON at the pool in evening and the only one on the walking paths. It was a little sad not to see little kids and other people. It also felt a little...unsafe?

I did go back in October for the Passholder Moana preview (which I adored).

I started both days at Epcot and took my time. No meals (other than a kids meal at the America Barbeque place); I did get a Wookie cookie and snacked on that for a whole afternoon.

I only hopped to Hollywood the one afternoon, and left time to relax at the resort. And I stayed at Pop; it's been our family favorite but I love the vibe and the families and little kids enjoying their trips.

And both flights were empty-ish, so got to nap on the way home.

So, I was able to enjoy my second trip even more than the first. I certainly enjoy a break from work and cold - and there are still a bunch of $38 fares !

Next trip might even be a down and back the same day! Has anyone tried that?

When dining solo at WDW, I've enjoyed the opportunity to really focus on the theming at each restaurant, which I tend to not notice as much when dining with anyone. I feel this is one of the main advantages of solo dining for those who like theming, and to me it would be a waste to spend most of that time reading a book or looking at my phone.

OP, I see that by now you've probably done one or two solo trips. How did they turn out?

My 2 day September trip was...a learning experience? The flight was easy, the parks were lovely. I did learn a few things - curious on others' thoughts.

1) I hopped from Animal to Magic Kingdom the first day; Hollywood to Epcot the second. That was too much - I learned that less is more. And Epcot was/is my favorite solo park.
A good thing to learn. On your next solo trip you can drop the Park Hopper and just visit one park per day.
2) Too much food!! I typically share meals with my daughter; we share big desserts like cupcakes between 3 of us. Even kids meals seemed too much. I actually had to throw away 2/3 of a Karamel Kuche cupcake. It was tragic.
I've had the same experience. It does seem like a shame to discard so much food. But kind of worth it, don't you think?
3) Great hotel deal = empty resort = sad, deserted, and low key creepy. I stayed at Saratoga, and was THE ONLY PERSON at the pool in evening and the only one on the walking paths. It was a little sad not to see little kids and other people. It also felt a little...unsafe?
Sounds GLORIOUS!
So, I was able to enjoy my second trip even more than the first. I certainly enjoy a break from work and cold - and there are still a bunch of $38 fares !

With such low fares I know I'd do a one day, down-and-back trip.

For two days, I agree I wouldnt see the need for park hoppers. No way you could see all four in two days anyway especially when factoring transportation time, even monorails, and walking before and after just to get to the front door. Not to mention the metal detectors and ticket scanners especially on busy days.

But, if staying a week or more then yes get the hopper but still plan ahead a little. A certain park before 2pm with either plans or reservations in the second. Such as MK first to get on Big Thunder and meet Tiana, but still want to get a Jedi Mind Trick around dinner time. Speaking of which, I miss the dry ice in the Bespin Fizz. It was a much better experience than simply having the drink with crushed ice. There is no more 'fizz'. 😥

Sorry for the delayed update! I am so grateful to everyone for all of the wonderful advice and insight!

I did go back in October for the Passholder Moana preview (which I adored).

I started both days at Epcot and took my time. No meals (other than a kids meal at the America Barbeque place); I did get a Wookie cookie and snacked on that for a whole afternoon.

I only hopped to Hollywood the one afternoon, and left time to relax at the resort. And I stayed at Pop; it's been our family favorite but I love the vibe and the families and little kids enjoying their trips.

And both flights were empty-ish, so got to nap on the way home.

I'm trying my first solo trip in February and actually had a vaguely similar concern about the resort. I like a quieter resort - but also want to feel safe. I'm booked a Caribbean Beach, which is massive and I suspect there will be folks around, but part of me wonders if I should've sprung for a deluxe epcot resort since that would've felt a little more contained. Curious if others have felt safe/comfortable and at which resorts?

Admittedly I did just go in September with my best friend and we stayed at Coronado and I came back by myself one night because she and her daughter didn't want to stay as late and that was...okay. Not totally great frankly, but doable.

A good thing to learn. On your next solo trip you can drop the Park Hopper and just visit one park per day.

I've had the same experience. It does seem like a shame to discard so much food. But kind of worth it, don't you think?

Sounds GLORIOUS!

With such low fares I know I'd do a one day, down-and-back trip.
Thank you! I splurged on an Annual Pass this year, so the hopping was "free" but not optimal in the fun department. And I think for the fun snacks I'll pack a zip bag or container so I don't waste the extras. Cupcake for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner!!

For two days, I agree I wouldnt see the need for park hoppers. No way you could see all four in two days anyway especially when factoring transportation time, even monorails, and walking before and after just to get to the front door. Not to mention the metal detectors and ticket scanners especially on busy days.

But, if staying a week or more then yes get the hopper but still plan ahead a little. A certain park before 2pm with either plans or reservations in the second. Such as MK first to get on Big Thunder and meet Tiana, but still want to get a Jedi Mind Trick around dinner time. Speaking of which, I miss the dry ice in the Bespin Fizz. It was a much better experience than simply having the drink with crushed ice. There is no more 'fizz'. 😥
My oldest turned 21 this week and is already planning for her first adult Ogas!! I'm a Black Spire Brew fanatic...no fizz or alcohol but so delicious!!

We loved our long family trips, so this solo routine is going to take some development! What else do you recommend?

I'm trying my first solo trip in February and actually had a vaguely similar concern about the resort. I like a quieter resort - but also want to feel safe. I'm booked a Caribbean Beach, which is massive and I suspect there will be folks around, but part of me wonders if I should've sprung for a deluxe epcot resort since that would've felt a little more contained. Curious if others have felt safe/comfortable and at which resorts?

Admittedly I did just go in September with my best friend and we stayed at Coronado and I came back by myself one night because she and her daughter didn't want to stay as late and that was...okay. Not totally great frankly, but doable.
It's a balance between quiet and relaxing...and deserted. It was early September, which is a super low time so I think that contributed.

I do enjoy the energy and vibe of little ones shrieking at their first spotting of a character or Disney magical moment, so some of the Deluxes haven't been as fun for me (daughter and I have a bucket list of trying to stay at each resort at least once).

I would think you'll be fine at Caribbean? I love that resort!! And the restaurant options are solid, with the QS at Riviera close by (also one of my favs). Have a wonderful time!!

I just booked my first solo for January. I got the $38 plane fare and I'm only going for 1 day. I fly out early morning and return at midnight. I'm going to do MK, I've been there enough so I know my way around and I've decided to just hit my favorite rides and eat the snacks that I want. Normally when I go with my kids we always pack our lunch and snacks.

My kids are all in their 20's and either can't afford it or can't get away from work to go with me. I need a break from working so much so I decided to go by myself. This will be a huge deal for me b/c I'm uncomfortable just eating in a restaurant by myself (which I don't) but I can go to the movies by myself (b/c it's dark) so we'll see how it goes. I will miss talking to my family after we get off a ride or waiting in the lines, I'm not one to start a conversation with a stranger.

Wish me luck!!!

I go a few times of year solo. I call it my momcation. It is great to just go with the flow. I tend to sleep in, I wake up and make my Lightening Lanes and go to the parks around 10-11. Eat when I want, maybe do one or two sit down meals. Take breaks and people watch, like someone said earlier you get a lot more done solo because your not slowed down or distracted. I am going in Jan for 7 nights, I always stay value because the room are big enough for 1 and there are always people around.

Sounds very familiar; empty nester going through a divorce so my only way to the parks will be on my own. I am taking a Disney Cruise this spring with my daughter but wondering about my Disney future. Really considering DVC membership because, well, I always wanted it! Joined a few solo and group travel sites and hope to be there soon.

I just booked my first solo for January. I got the $38 plane fare and I'm only going for 1 day. I fly out early morning and return at midnight. I'm going to do MK, I've been there enough so I know my way around and I've decided to just hit my favorite rides and eat the snacks that I want. Normally when I go with my kids we always pack our lunch and snacks.

My kids are all in their 20's and either can't afford it or can't get away from work to go with me. I need a break from working so much so I decided to go by myself. This will be a huge deal for me b/c I'm uncomfortable just eating in a restaurant by myself (which I don't) but I can go to the movies by myself (b/c it's dark) so we'll see how it goes. I will miss talking to my family after we get off a ride or waiting in the lines, I'm not one to start a conversation with a stranger.

Wish me luck!!!
People are most likely too busy to notice someone alone. And even if they do, who cares what a stranger thinks. I’m not an out going person but I’ve taken a couple solo trips recently and the choices were either go and enjoy or miss out.

Wish me luck!!!
So excited for you! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter