Convince me to stay on resort

matt f

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!! Wow, such a wealth of information here!! :cool1: And holy cow you guys are killin' me with all the acronyms!

OK - family of four, daughters will be 3 and 6 for our trip to WDW this summer. I work for the gov't so I can stay at Shades of Green or World Quest Resort (1 mile away on International Drive). So, here's your chance to convince me to stay on resort. :confused3 Of course I can stay anywhere else as well, but these are my top two right now b/c of price.

We'll be driving down b/c we're stopping in two other cities to see family, so we'll have a car. We'll be in Orlando from Monday morn through Friday morn, planning on three days in WDW and one day poolside at the resort, just relaxin'. :cool2: The two resorts are similar in price, BUT World Quest is a 1200 sq ft, two BR, two bath suite will a full kitchen and living room... compared to SOG single room. The separate bedrooms is a big plus for us.

Many more questions will follow later, but for now this is question #1. Thanks!!

Matt

So much of your planning is going to be based on personal preference, but let me tell you why we always stay on-site...
:goodvibes Convenience, convenience, convenience!!! :goodvibes
-My husband just drove for 18 hours to get to WDW, he doesn't want to drive anymore. He likes to park the van and hop a bus, or the monorail and let someone else get us to where we are going!
-We are not in our rooms for most of the week, so all we really need is a place to drop at the end of the day. :faint:
-We love the "feel" of being immersed in Disney! We really enjoy the theme at the resort.
-We use the "perks" that comes with staying at a Disney resort, such as early entry, extra-magic hour, free transportation (which means no parking fees)...
-Top notch service...we have never had anything but good experiences at the resorts...It is always a clean room, helpful staff, and a friendly smile :)

Just my two cents...hope it was helpful! :wave2:

So much of your planning is going to be based on personal preference, but let me tell you why we always stay on-site...
:goodvibes Convenience, convenience, convenience!!! :goodvibes
-My husband just drove for 18 hours to get to WDW, he doesn't want to drive anymore. He likes to park the van and hop a bus, or the monorail and let someone else get us to where we are going!
-We are not in our rooms for most of the week, so all we really need is a place to drop at the end of the day. :faint:
-We love the "feel" of being immersed in Disney! We really enjoy the theme at the resort.
-We use the "perks" that comes with staying at a Disney resort, such as early entry, extra-magic hour, free transportation (which means no parking fees)...
-Top notch service...we have never had anything but good experiences at the resorts...It is always a clean room, helpful staff, and a friendly smile :)

Just my two cents...hope it was helpful! :wave2:

Yup, Yup, Yup!!

Thanks. I'm probably just over-thinking it I guess. It just seems like having the kids in their own room would be soooo nice so that the wife and I can sit up and have a drink after they go to bed. 8:00 bedtime would be hard to take for us, we go to bed around 11 and get up before the kids.

Between EMH, evening swims, and so much to see and do, you might not be getting the kids in bed as early as you plan, especially if you're only there for 3 days.

With an afternoon nap, our dd (3) can easily keep going till 11:00 or later at WDW. After a long day, she sleeps right though dh and I talking and watching tv in the room and in the morning, she sleeps right though dh and I getting up, showering and getting ready for the day. So, it might not be an issue to have them in the same room if they're really good sleepers (or if you just wear them out enough ;) )

Matt,

:welcome:

Here's my two cents.

I've been to Disney and stayed on Resort and off Resort. I definitely prefer ON Resort! Why? Well, basically for everything that minnierocks mentioned!

The convenience alone is something you will completely enjoy. Plus - take into consideration that if you stay off-property and drive to the parks you'll be paying for parking.

I've never stayed at either of the places you mentioned and am not sure about costs; but if you look into it - you may find a resort that may be less expensive.

We're DVC (Disney vacation club) members now, which is a great investment by the way, but anyway, back to my point...I don't worry about the cost of the room now. When my husband & I went on our first trip we stayed at Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campgrounds. We LOVED it there. Had a great cabin (that slept 6-8 people! a full kitchen and basically all the immenities from home - and housekeeping even did our dishes!!) You may want to check it out.

Also, taking advantage of the magic hours is really cool. The park is definitely less crowded, which makes the park just that more fun!

Before you make a definite decision - I would suggest looking at ALL the options and comparing. Getting advice from this board has helped me alot. Start "surfing" and whatever you decide - have fun on your trip!

PS: I totally understand you about the acronyms - it took me awhile to get them straight myself. You'd think it would come easy to us Fed. Govt folks huh? :lmao:

With an afternoon nap, our dd (3) can easily keep going till 11:00 or later at WDW. After a long day, she sleeps right though dh and I talking and watching tv in the room and in the morning, she sleeps right though dh and I getting up, showering and getting ready for the day. So, it might not be an issue to have them in the same room if they're really good sleepers (or if you just wear them out enough ;) )
You may be right... our going in plan is to skip naptime, early dinner, and get back to get much needed rest. Any yeah they're good sleepers, once they go to sleep. Hopefully they're tired.

Mischa, thanks... I'm looking at the Swan/Dolphin now, and it looks NICE. Available at $149 a night which is more but the pools look worth it. My wife hates the "crunchy comforters" that most places have and the Swan/Dolphin definitely doesn't have those!

Hi everyone!! Wow, such a wealth of information here!! :cool1: And holy cow you guys are killin' me with all the acronyms!

OK - family of four, daughters will be 3 and 6 for our trip to WDW this summer. I work for the gov't so I can stay at Shades of Green or World Quest Resort (1 mile away on International Drive). So, here's your chance to convince me to stay on resort. :confused3 Of course I can stay anywhere else as well, but these are my top two right now b/c of price.

We'll be driving down b/c we're stopping in two other cities to see family, so we'll have a car. We'll be in Orlando from Monday morn through Friday morn, planning on three days in WDW and one day poolside at the resort, just relaxin'. :cool2: The two resorts are similar in price, BUT World Quest is a 1200 sq ft, two BR, two bath suite will a full kitchen and living room... compared to SOG single room. The separate bedrooms is a big plus for us.

Many more questions will follow later, but for now this is question #1. Thanks!!

Matt

I was wondering if you could clarify something for me...I thought for Shades of Green you had to be active military or retired (and not even reserves?) DH was in the reserves for years and years - but is retired from it and works for the Feds (Dept of Defense...) for almost 20 years .... I would :love: to stay there but was told we didnt qualify. Have you been told otherwise? Or maybe I missed something? Thanks so much and good luck w/ your decision!

Our most recent trip we drove down and then drove to the parks for the first couple of days. Then we did MK so we took the resort bus instead. After that day we did not set foot in our vehicle again. Oddly enough there is a 'resort vacation' feel about being hostage to Disney transportation! Also, with some destinations (MK comes to mind), it just makes much much more sense to take Disney transportation...

To drive to MK, I would drive the car, park, take a tram, then a monorail or ferry to the park entrance... obviously more trouble than it's worth!

I couldn't imagine staying offsite... I really couldn't!

I vote for on-site with Disney Transportation with little ones. We went with our 6 & 4 year olds last spring and we had a great time on the days where we went to the parks early came back to the resort for a swim/rest/down time and then back to the parks in the evening or not. The one day we pushed ahead the stayed at the Magic Kingdom into the early afternoon it was melt down city, and at home they are like the energizer bunnies... keep going and going and going. I think you are also very smart for planning an off day in the middle to just chill. Have a great time!:wizard:

A room of your own sounds nice but we were so tired at Disney that we ALL fell asleep ASAP.

I wouldn't stay off-site even if it was free. I like the convenience and luxury of being on-property for my whole vacation.

Oh Matt,

Shades of Green, the convience for your family cannot be replaced. You will save so much time (and energy) going from here to there. If you want to swim in the middle of the afternoon go right back to SOG........dinner at other resorts, park hopping. I think you will really enjoy all the +'s that come with staying at WDW.

Have a terrific time!

I ahve stayed off site in the past. I know that we used to go back to the hotel in afternoons sometimes and swim or relax. But it took us at least 45 minutes to get there. (Interenational drive) Traffic is crazy at times around there, and even though you may be "close" you still have to deal with traffic. I think some of the values jsut made suites, and you could maybe get one of those if you like. It will come down to what you like and want to do.:confused:
Also Dsiney food isn't cheap, so you amy want the option of leaving and getting fast food, or nice sit down for cheaper. That is the plus of staying off site. We are staying on for the first time in March and we decided to get the dinig plan so we wouldn't have to worry on how much we were going to spend on food!:cloud9:

I was wondering if you could clarify something for me...I thought for Shades of Green you had to be active military or retired (and not even reserves?) DH was in the reserves for years and years - but is retired from it and works for the Feds (Dept of Defense...) for almost 20 years .... I would :love: to stay there but was told we didnt qualify. Have you been told otherwise? Or maybe I missed something? Thanks so much and good luck w/ your decision!

Not any longer, they changed things, but I don't know when. Any branch of the Military and their dependants, Active, Retired, and Resserve. Also other Gov't Employees and their Dependants, Active or Retired. There are many other categories, you just have to go to their website for full information. I looked into staying there in June 2005, since my husband was in the Army Reserves and he was elig to go then, and now we could go since my mother is a retired Civil Service Employee. We just prefer the better convenience that a Disney Resort offers.

PrincessSuzanne princess:

Not any longer, they changed things, but I don't know when. Any branch of the Military and their dependants, Active, Retired, and Resserve. Also other Gov't Employees and their Dependants, Active or Retired. There are many other categories, you just have to go to their website for full information. I looked into staying there in June 2005, since my husband was in the Army Reserves and he was elig to go then, and now we could go since my mother is a retired Civil Service Employee. We just prefer the better convenience that a Disney Resort offers.

PrincessSuzanne princess:

Thanks for the info - tha explains it! (Since, when I checked was probably for our 2001 trip and didnt bother again after that....) Off to find their website!

Thanks everyone!! So not a single person here stays off site? I think we're convinced...I think. Now just need to decide where to stay. I'll look into suites at the value resorts. So many choices, all of them good! :thumbsup2

SoG has by far the biggest rooms, at least by sq ft. Thanks everyone!!

Oh, and where exactly is SoG? It's near the Polynesian, right?

1. disney magical express
2. disney extra magical hours
3. no need for a car
4. no parking fees
5. no running around at the end of day
6. the disney magic :thumbsup2
7. possibility of getting free dining certin times of the year

im sure theres more
stay at a value if you have to, still better then a deluxe off-site :thumbsup2

We are trying something different this year. Our friends have rented here twice (see link below). It is a 10 minute drive to the parks. When staying on site we don't like using the buses. It takes too long to get from point A to point B. I do love staying on site as I too really feel the Disney theme day and night. It's just different and I can probably say our next visit will be on site. I need to try things once to see for myself.

www.greenorangevillas.com check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter