Convince me to stay on resort

Matt- Putting in my 2 cents again. I just realized that you are heading down over the summer. We were there end of June/1st week of July and it was extremely crowded.....The only way we found to work around this was being the first ones there in the morning and using the night EM hours that are crowded at first but then the crowds thin out. :yay:

It's a good point. It was an argument that I lost (several times) :lmao: I still think it's OK to pull our 6 YO our of school for vacation, but the DW thinks it's a "bad precedent" :rolleyes1 The heat in July is going to kill me too. :headache: :faint: Anyway I lost so let's move along here people popcorn:: nothing left to see here. ;)

Another consideration is the fact that we're only there for four days so will want to maximize our time. Still, free happy hour??? How can I pass that up? ;) Oh right, bring my own booze. :woohoo:

Also, as a side note:

I paid for both Tour Guide Mike and the Unoffical Guide (on-line and the book). I felt I covered all my bases that way and could pick out information that worked the best for my family.

I would recommend that you use some kind of planning guide to make the most of your vacation.

Also, both of these guides give reviews of the resort. Some are positive and some are negative. I didn't let the negatives scare me :)

I figure I've got nothing to lose........

To be honest, this is the first time I have investigated him. I am going again in December so I can't report how useful the information I found is going to be. My feeling is though that so far it appears to be very detailed and I like that. I can tell you that on this site if you do a search you will find both good and bad reviews of him. I feel I have nothing to lose for trying it. There was nothing I have read here that screamed "stay away" so I will keep going with it.

So far, from what I have read, the information looks very good. There is a lot of great information about how to plan a trip, resorts, transportation, dining, etc. The best feature in my opinion is the section that details what parks to go to on what specific day. On Tour Guide Mike (TGM) he goes as far as to break it down into morning and evening. He gives more detail than The Unofficial Guide (UG).

In terms of the acutual tourning plans themselves, I have used the UG tour plan before with great success. I have looked over TGM's tour guide plan and my personal preference at this time is to use the UG plan. I am using TGM for all of the other information on the site as there is quite a bit and I like the level of detail in it that sometimes the UG lacks but I will definitely use the UG tour plan when I hit the parks. Make sense?

I am going at the busiest time of the year so don't want to take any chances. The UG website also has tailor made plans according to the ages of your kids. That is quite helpful. I will admit, that on the first time around, there were things that I could have done without seeing, but really that is part of the investigative process. The UG outlines everything worth seeing and from there it is personal preference. This time around, I am just deleting things that we didn't feel we needed to see again. TGM's plans are a bit more flexible for this type of thing, but I personally feel that the UG is a better plan for first timers who don't really have an idea about what all the attractions are and what they like.

Also, TGM provides up to date info regarding your travel dates. That is handy. TGM's site is loaded with information and some find it hard to navigate. I haven't had any problems as I go through step by step and print out the info to look at when I can. Being that you have awhile to go before the trip, you should have time to take full advatage of TGM. If you go int there knowing there is a lot and have a systematic way of breaking it down then you will be good to go.

Personally, I think you can get all the info you need from TGM and the UG sites. Disboards is also fantastic for checking out things you have read.

Hope this helps!

Last year was our first time going to Disney. We have two children ages 2 and 6 at the time. We stayed offsite in a vacation home just 10 minutes from Disney it was nice and saved a little money. Now with that said let me say that with the age of your children it will be worth it to stay onsite. That way you can go back to your room rest for awhile and then head back to the parks. We went in June and it was so hot. Also you will have to pay for parking each day last year it was $9.00 a day I think. I heard it went up again this year. Plus you will get the extra hours at the parks for onsite guest only and you can get the Disney Dining Package. We are going back again this year in Oct for 7 nights staying onsite at the POFQ. We are so excited. Good luck making your decision you'll have fun no matter what. pixiedust:

Matt: I have been a lurker here, but when I read your post and the various replies, I just had to register and post. While I'm sure SOG is absolutely lovely (not having stayed there), the resort isn't operated by Disney (even though it's on-site). If you stay at SOG, you will be able to partake in extra magic hours, but not the dining plan nor Disney's Magical Express. I don't know if you'll be needing those. I just didn't want the dining plan or Magical Express to be factored in to your decision to stay on- or off-site. You also will not be able to charge purchases in the parks to your room, nor do I think packages can be delivered to your room. I think the Dolphin (owned by Sheraton/Starwood) and the Swan (owned by Westin/Starwood) fall into the same category as SOG. Other DIS posters will correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Good luck with what you decide!

If you like the idea of a suite why not look into the all-star suites? Have not been there but it would be worth a look. The Dolphin and Swan are nice but are definately not a disney theme. Try one of the moderates such as Port Orleans Riverside the price is about the same and much more disney experience. And relaxing.

Matt: I have been a lurker here, but when I read your post and the various replies, I just had to register and post. While I'm sure SOG is absolutely lovely (not having stayed there), the resort isn't operated by Disney (even though it's on-site). If you stay at SOG, you will be able to partake in extra magic hours, but not the dining plan nor Disney's Magical Express.....You also will not be able to charge purchases in the parks to your room, nor do I think packages can be delivered to your room.
Thanks for keeping me honest! Yeah, I know that I can't use the DDP or DME. I won't need DME because we're driving to Florida. I don't mind that I can't charge expenses to my room, and I can have packages delivered to my room (AFAIK). To me, all of these are little things that I don't know if I would use anyway. If I stay at SoG, I'll probably buy most of our souveniers there, because the shop is tax free. I don't know if I would use DDP or not, but it's not an option so I'm not worrying about it. BTW, I'm under the impression that you CAN use DDP from Swan/Dolphin.

Thanks again!!

poohtink said:
If you like the idea of a suite why not look into the all-star suites?

Thanks, I will!

HOP2MOM said:
We have two children ages 2 and 6 at the time. We stayed offsite in a vacation home just 10 minutes from Disney it was nice and saved a little money. Now with that said let me say that with the age of your children it will be worth it to stay onsite.

My kids will be 3 and 6, so are you saying you wish you had stayed onsite?

Thanks everyone!! This place is so :cool1: :banana: :thumbsup2 :woohoo: :love: :dance3:

I'm under the impression that you CAN use DDP from Swan/Dolphin.

Really - I've never heard that and always thought the opposite. Do you remember where you heard/saw that.....I think if DDP was availible at the Swan that would cinch my staying there....hmmmmm.....

Thanks!!

ps - my kids were 3 and 7 when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last summer - being close by was a VERY nice luxury.....the extra time not driving to an off-site hotel was enjoyed by the pool. We found that IF we could stay awake after the kids feel asleep at 8 or 9 just sitting on our patio (w/ a bottle of wine fomr the WL gift shop...) was very relaxing and offered enough privacy to not need a suite. (You're tired a LOT!!!! :) )

My kids will be 3 and 6, so are you saying you wish you had stayed onsite?

My kids were a just turned 4&6 on our trip and they do not nap at home but they absolutely needed a break away from the Disney Parks in the afternoon the place is just very overwhelming for everyone especially the young. So yeah with little ones I would vote for on-site. You didn't ask but I would HIGHLY recommend bringing umbrella strollers for those ages for the long walks from Park to Bus (car) to Hotel. I think it is wise to bring those just in case, we didn't use them much but they were priceless for Epcot and Late Night at MK.

I don't think it is a big deal to charge to your room or send items back to the room we never did that, but we really enjoyed the use of transportation to get around. We never waited long for the buses (except post MK fireworks) and the kids actually really enjoyed "playing" with the other kids in the bus lines. I thought the dinning plan was a good deal if you plan to eat sit down dinners then it is like the lousy quick counter service lunch and snacks are free. We did the Dinning plan because we did LOTS of character meals and it was a deal but it is so individual. I really doubt that we would do the dinning plan again as my kids would prefer to split an audlt menu item and the choices from the kids menu is so limited to Mac & Cheese and Chicken Fingers.

I hope you are planning on writing a quick trip report after your vacation.

Yes,

Here is why we live in Tennessee it took almost 17 hours driving time to get there. The last thing I wanted to do everyday was get up and fight traffic to and from Disney sometimes twice a day. We would get up early go to the parks let the kids do a few things. By then the lines are very long we went in June so it was also very hot. My kids would be so tired even thought they were riding in a double stroller that we thought it would be good to go back to the vacation home let them rest for a few hours and go back later in the day. So we would walk back out of Disney and wait for the trolley. Once it got there we would load up everyone plus everything you bought and ride around and wait to be dropped off in the parking lot walk back to your car. Load up the kids again and drive back to your hotel (you'll most likely be tired too.) Then we would load back up again and do the same thing all over again. Even though the home was just ten minutes away from Disney by the time you counted the traffic, parking, trolley ride to get into Disney then walking into a actual park the time was more like 40 minutes. So for us I think staying onsite this time just makes great sense rested happy kids means rested happy parents. I hope anyway. :dance3:

Really - I've never heard that and always thought the opposite. Do you remember where you heard/saw that.....I think if DDP was availible at the Swan that would cinch my staying there....hmmmmm.....
According to This Thread You are correct and I am incorrect; the DDP is NOT available while staying at Swan/Dolphin

Thanks for all the help everyone. We go back and forth daily on where to stay. I'll let you know which way we go!

If you like the idea of a suite why not look into the all-star suites?
Thanks poohtink... I looked into the allstar suites and they're $$ more than anything else I'm considering. $209 a night compared to $111 a night at SoG. For $209+tax I'd rather get two adjoining rooms at SoG ($222, no tax). BTW, SoG has suites too, for $220 a night, but they're all booked already.

Plus, allstar is 1BR suites and the off-resort suite I'm considering is 2BR which is preferable so that the kids get their own BR. I think the answer is that an on-site suite is out of my budget. Thanks though for the idea :thumbsup2

OK well we're still not quite convinced but leaning towards SoG just so that we can come back and escape the heat of the day (in the pool) :beach: and make it back into the park without too much time wasted. :drive: Here's the clincher: If they offer free dining, I'll be staying on resort for sure... and not at SoG b/c I can't use the DDP at SoG.

OBTW I just ordered both UG and Passporter.

And :offtopic: but did we just get a bunch of new smilies?
pixiedust:
Perhaps I'm crazy :scratchin

Does SoG have balconies? Probably our one and only complaint about values and mods is we miss those evening cocktails on the balcony. One of these days maybe we will get a pin code and we will try AKL. Have fun planning.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter