Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

this is my big fear. Also, the canadian dollar is tanking against the American. I will actually make money cancelling my cruises. I do think this might happen. The parks and cruises are not places that anyone will want to go to until we get a cure. This virus is going to be around a long time. There is no way that cruise lines are going to operating this year. And travel insurance is going to disappear as well. I hate to be pessimistic.

While this is technically legally possible, it would be the death nail in Disney's cruising future. There is a very very small chance they would take this step. Nobody would feel safe booking with their line ever again. Sure, this could theoretically happen, but it would also mean we would be in such a severe depression that everyone is done taking vacations for a very long time. We will all have even worse problems than having the extra money in our bank accounts.

I'm mostly in agreement with you. I don't put it as a very high chance of happening, then again, I didn't think there was a high likelihood of WDW closing this soon either. That being said, if this drags out until July/August, there might not be much of a choice. So it is a matter your comfort of the additional 25% credit, versus the (likely low) risk of things really going south. My dad is a pretty risk averse guy, so he went with getting his money back.

Of any of the cruise lines, I think DCL is in the best place financially, because it's not its own company, and the Disney corporation is quite diverse. Not saying to not cancel, though. I think that's very much a YMMV situation. I'm still in a wait and see position, but I will cancel before I take a credit. There are very few itineraries that interest me and very few that are the same cost as the one we have booked. No way will I turn 10 days in Europe into a 4-night cruise on a suite - that's just not how we choose to spend our travel dollars.

So we made another hard decision today. My parents were the one footing the bill for our big celebration cruise. My dad (who was upper management, and even president of some mid-size manufacturing/equipment companies before he retired) pointed out that if this goes on too long (more than 2-3 months) you may very well see cruise lines (including DCL) filing for bankruptcy/reorganizing. In such a case, you could very well be out 90+% of your "credit". So we decided to cancel our re-scheduled cruise for November, and take the 100% refund, rather than the 125% credit from our cancelled April sailing. Not that a bankruptcy is likely at this point, but I'd argue that it is definitely not off the table. He also noted that (in his opinion) the fact that DCL is a subsidiary of Disney Corp, increases the risk of filing, as if a parent corp is struggling, they will often use hurting subsidiaries to file, in order to free up operating capital, etc.. and keep the parent company from falling further. Just something to keep in mind when making your decision.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to cash out when it comes to our Delta flight- credit only. And as the airlines seem to file bankruptcy under hard times as if it is a normal part of operating, I would say those dollars are at even higher risk.
So, you're saying forego the 150% and take the money (and the exchange I'll get when it goes back to CAD dollars on my credit card)?

well the canadian dollar sucks so you are likely to make money taking the refund. I was initially going to take the credit but now with things going the way they are, I am going to take the cash I think. I have four cruises booked and one trip to aulani. I have cancelled two cruises and aulani and I will wait and see about my placeholder and my hawaii cruise.

So, you're saying forego the 150% and take the money (and the exchange I'll get when it goes back to CAD dollars on my credit card)?

No.. I'm not trying to say that anyone should do anything in particular.. just know what the risks are. There is (a currently low or very-low depending on who you talk to) possibility that things like Bankruptcy could factor into this. So be aware of that.. should something like bankruptcy happen, your credit will likely not be worth much. Whereas getting the full refund, means that money is in your pocket.

Personally, if I was making the decision, I wouldn't have pulled the plug on the credit yet.. I would have waited to see if the DCL downtime was being extended for significantly more time. My dad on the other hand is extremely risk averse, and it is his money, and so he made the right decision (for him) to get his money back.

well the canadian dollar sucks so you are likely to make money taking the refund. I was initially going to take the credit but now with things going the way they are, I am going to take the cash I think. I have four cruises booked and one trip to aulani. I have cancelled two cruises and aulani and I will wait and see about my placeholder and my hawaii cruise.
While it's true that I'll get some back, the cashback I earned when I spent the money will have to be paid back, too and will likely be taken on the credit amount, not just the amount I earned. Since I earned more cashback than I paid in FX exchange, I could actually be penalized.
No.. I'm not trying to say that anyone should do anything in particular.. just know what the risks are. There is (a currently low or very-low depending on who you talk to) possibility that things like Bankruptcy could factor into this. So be aware of that.. should something like bankruptcy happen, your credit will likely not be worth much. Whereas getting the full refund, means that money is in your pocket.

Personally, if I was making the decision, I wouldn't have pulled the plug on the credit yet.. I would have waited to see if the DCL downtime was being extended for significantly more time. My dad on the other hand is extremely risk averse, and it is his money, and so he made the right decision (for him) to get his money back.
I must admit, this is something looming in the back of my mind. I wonder, though, since I used a credit card, whether I could get reimbursed via the Mastercard chargeback system for services not provided?

I must admit, this is something looming in the back of my mind. I wonder, though, since I used a credit card, whether I could get reimbursed via the Mastercard chargeback system for services not provided?

You'd have to call the CC company. I honestly don't know how a chargeback would work if a company filed for bankruptcy. Again, I just want to point out- I do not believe there is currently a high likelihood of this happening. And IMO, there will be warning signs- it wont happen over night. If DCL continues to be unable to operate into say July or August.. I would start putting a higher probability on something like that occurring, especially if the Disney parks remain closed.

Taking the cash is always a good option, IMO. No reason to get greedy if there are any concerns. I think if it were any other cruise line, I would take the cash, but I think of all the cruise lines, DCL is the least likely to go out of business.

While it's true that I'll get some back, the cashback I earned when I spent the money will have to be paid back, too and will likely be taken on the credit amount, not just the amount I earned. Since I earned more cashback than I paid in FX exchange, I could actually be penalized.

In the UK we can claim a Section 75 refund from the credit card company, many of us did this after the Thomas Cook collapse. I wouldn't be surprised if we will end up having to do so for Norwegian Air too if they don't make it. We have flights booked with them for the EBTA.

Also, check your travel insurance. Mine includes a bankrupt cruise line as a covered event and I could get my money back that way:

"Bankruptcy or Default of an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider (other than the Travel Supplier, tour operator, travel agency, organization or firm from whom You purchased Your Travel Arrangements) causing a complete cessation of travel services more than 14 days following Your Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended destination. This benefit only applies if the Policy has been purchased within 21 days of the date Your initial deposit/payment for Your Trip is received;"

That makes me feel more comfortable waiting it out for now.

This cruise industry crisis plus the costs they have with the new ships coming in make bankruptcy not that impossible..

While true, there are many forms of bankruptcy. Disney could go bankrupt and still honer cruise credits to ensure they can actually attract customers going forward. Would you ever book a cruise with a company that just wiped out everyone's paid-for cruises and credits? Of course not. They know that too. Absent a complete end to commerce as we know it, this isn't going to happen.

We "only" have a deposit down and can get it all back in cash if we cancel now, but I've been holding off so that others with closer sailings can get their situations resolved. But the potential bankruptcy of DCL does concern me. They have a parent company so might be in a better position than some other lines, but that parent company is also going to hurt from this too with no movie ticket sales, theme park revenue, etc. Depending on what the federal government opts to do as far as bailouts, I might cancel to be on the safe side of a bankruptcy claim.

ETA: I once lost several thousand dollars on a vacation to a resort that went bankrupt and was able to get away with selling their assets without paying us a single cent back, so I admit I might be extra wary of this.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to cash out when it comes to our Delta flight- credit only. And as the airlines seem to file bankruptcy under hard times as if it is a normal part of operating, I would say those dollars are at even higher risk.
Delta is a mess right now and it's too bad they're not offering refunds. They say don't call until you are 72 hours away from flying. I tried to take care of things easily and went online but they wanted to charge me $400 for choosing a different flight, so I really need to talk to a Delta rep. as their waivers are not kicking in for me. Any advice...?

Of course....there's really nothing I can do at this point until I figure out if Disney Cruise Line will resume operations in a few weeks or continue to be halted. I'm going with the latter on that one though...I think that once Royal, Caribban and other cruise lines announce further extensions that Disney will act shortly thereafter.

Delta is a mess right now and it's too bad they're not offering refunds. They say don't call until you are 72 hours away from flying. I tried to take care of things easily and went online but they wanted to charge me $400 for choosing a different flight, so I really need to talk to a Delta rep. as their waivers are not kicking in for me. Any advice...?

Of course....there's really nothing I can do at this point until I figure out if Disney Cruise Line will resume operations in a few weeks or continue to be halted. I'm going with the latter on that one though...I think that once Royal, Caribban and other cruise lines announce further extensions that Disney will act shortly thereafter.

Delta is definitely a mess. What they are doing right now- if your flight is in March or April, if you simply don't show up for your flight, it is automatically turned into a 100% credit for future travel. So technically you don't even have to call them. I am going to try to call in 72 hours before our flight to make sure.. but to some extent it is a "trust us, it'll work out" situation.

Delta is definitely a mess. What they are doing right now- if your flight is in March or April, if you simply don't show up for your flight, it is automatically turned into a 100% credit for future travel. So technically you don't even have to call them. I am going to try to call in 72 hours before our flight to make sure.. but to some extent it is a "trust us, it'll work out" situation.
I did not know that so thanks for that information. Since I don't fly until May I guess I'll just stay in a holding pattern as so many on here have been doing and that goes the same for playing chicken with DCL and if they are going to cancel anymore cruises. We really have no idea how things will go at this point when we move into May and the summer months. We can hope things get better but as of right now it's looking like we will be dealing with this pandemic for a while. I hope I am wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter