• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

If I were a betting man...

My guess is that they'll run the ships on cruises that are close to the US mainland (Key West, Castaway, etc.) in some form so people will know that they won't be too far from the coast initially.
That's a very good possibility but we know Cayman Islands banned cruise ships for 60 days so will the Commonwealth of The Bahamas follow suit? This would put Castaway Cay in jeopardy, correct?

That's a very good possibility but we know Cayman Islands banned cruise ships for 60 days so will the Commonwealth of The Bahamas follow suit? This would put Castaway Cay in jeopardy, correct?
I'd say they could, but if there are no Bahamian residents on Castaway, I bet they could make an exception...

Not specific to this conversation, but my sister works in Cocoa Beach and one of the ships has been anchored offshore for several days now. She hasn’t been by the port to see what ships are moored. It made me wonder what kind of skeleton crew would be needed on an anchored ship and if they would have enough supplies . . .

The Magic and Fantasy have switched spots between CC and anchored off PC. My friend went fishing yesterday (he lives in Cocoa Beach) and took these pics of the Magic and sent them to me as he knows my obsession.

Scott's Blog lists where each ship is each day.

MJ

Last edited:

I hope they bring the Magic to NYC for July and August.....if cruising is even happening by that time.

MJ
I’m supposed to be on the Magic the first week in May. I’ve come to accept that the chances of that happening are slim at this time.

The possibility of a July/August time frame makes more sense but like you said....IF and that’s what makes this all so devastatingly unbearable at times....no one knows.

185 positive cases in my state (PA) now.

Last edited:

THis stinks but all these plans can be moved to next year. I love planning vacations and my summer is a wreck, but all these plans can still be good for the future.
My family was booked on the August 3rd Alaska Cruise. I cancelled today, since it is before my PIF date, but I booked a May 2021 Alaska Cruise to take its place. I work for a private university, and have no guarantee that I will have a job
later this year. I would rather have my cash back now and still have the option of canceling the May 2021 if things get financially hard for my family. I won’t lie...I might have shed some tears. We had to cancel our vacation last year, and this cruise was to be our last big trip before both boys headed off to college out of state. For now it is just postponed, and hopefully we will be on that ship next May.

Not specific to this conversation, but my sister works in Cocoa Beach and one of the ships has been anchored offshore for several days now. She hasn’t been by the port to see what ships are moored. It made me wonder what kind of skeleton crew would be needed on an anchored ship and if they would have enough supplies . . .

Check out https://www.marinetraffic.com to see where all the ships are. It's neat seeing groups of ships just anchored up together in the middle of nowhere.

But as of now, all of the crew is still on the anchored ships. The initial 2 week, and even 30 day, suspension of service makes it more practical just to leave them there to dump them on shore with them having no way to get home, and no way to get back if service resumes. There was also all the food on board for passengers to eat up. I think they are supposed to cycle in and out of ports as well to restock if needed. What will be interesting will be to see what happens if this stretches out for months. They can't keep the crew on board indefinitely with no passengers.

I hate sharing rumors, and I'm not a TA, but a TA on my Aug. cruise posted something saying that our PIF day will be pushed back one month. YMMV and DCL may not even do this, but if they do, we will ride it out until forced to decide.

I hate sharing rumors, and I'm not a TA, but a TA on my Aug. cruise posted something saying that our PIF day will be pushed back one month. YMMV and DCL may not even do this, but if they do, we will ride it out until forced to decide.

The link I posted above does say some sailings will have PIF pushed back 30 days.

Only four sailings have their PIF date pushes back. I don't know what makes those sailings unique, and why this isn't being done for all sailings up to a certain departure date. Makes me wonder if those are the proposed 'first' sailings on each ship after an extended cruise suspension period. That's pure speculation, with no evidence to back it up, of course.

Why can’t they update their cancellation polices for the rest of us who have sailings before the new policy takes effect? They are holding us and our money hostage. I am not willing to give Disney $900 for cancelling my May cruise right now, after the PIF date. But, later sailings have better cancellation policies. So not fair.

I just have to hold on and hope our sailing is cancelled so I can get a 100% refund.

Only four sailings have their PIF date pushes back. I don't know what makes those sailings unique, and why this isn't being done for all sailings up to a certain departure date. Makes me wonder if those are the proposed 'first' sailings on each ship after an extended cruise suspension period. That's pure speculation, with no evidence to back it up, of course.
It has more than 4 sailings listed. (A quick glance made me think that too, then I looked closer at it.) I think you just saw the 'start' dates. Dreams says June 17th to the August 30th embarkations--so all the cruises in that time frame.

(Info is from the link above.)
UPDATE 3/19/20 – 2:41pm: Disney Cruise Line has posted the following addition to their final payment policy: Beginning March 18, 2020, an automatic final payment extension was added to select 2020 summer reservations. Final payments will now be extended out an additional 30 days. For example, a departure with a final payment due yesterday, March 18, 2020, is now extended to April 17th, 2020.

The impacted sailings are:
  • Disney Dream: Sailing embarking on June 17th – sailings embarking on August 30th
  • Disney Fantasy: Sailing embarking on July 18th – sailings embarking on August 31st
  • Disney Wonder: Sailing embarking on July 20th – sailings embarking on August 31st
  • Disney Magic: Sailing embarking on August 5th – sailings embarking on August 30th

Yep, I thought it was only four as well until I read it again. They should have said X sailings THROUGH X sailings.

MJ

RCCL is apparently sending some crew home, and (take this as what it is) Trump says he talked to Carnival about using cruise ships for hospital.

Obviously, DCL can make different decisions, but there are twoo of the major operators sending quiet signals on the near future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter