Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

RCCL is apparently sending some crew home, and (take this as what it is) Trump says he talked to Carnival about using cruise ships for hospital.

Obviously, DCL can make different decisions, but there are twoo of the major operators sending quiet signals on the near future.

Two Navy hospital ships are being sent places....the Comfort to NYC and the Mercy to somewhere else, probably West Coast.. Each have 1,000 beds and are to be used for non Covid-19 medical issues according to the news. They are still weeks away though.

MJ

I really wish they would decide in the Alaska cruises. We booked cruise and air thru Disney for a 6/1 date. It's a lot of $$ tied up for us.

RCCL is apparently sending some crew home, and (take this as what it is) Trump says he talked to Carnival about using cruise ships for hospital.

Obviously, DCL can make different decisions, but there are twoo of the major operators sending quiet signals on the near future.
Carnival always ponies their ships up for disasters. Did it for Katrina, did it for Maria and Harvey.

How are you feeling???

ETA: Sorry, it was @MomOTwins that I needed to check on!

Thank you... I thought I was finally feeling a bit better this morning, but now my fever is back up to 101 and the shortness of breath is worse now, so I just feel pretty wretched. I've spent many hours on hold or on the phone with doctors and the state testing team, checking to see if anyone will test me. I was able to get a flu and strep test, both negative, but our state still requires recent travel or contact with a "laboratory confirmed Covid case" before I can get a Covid test. The nurse I talked to today from the testing site was really nice and apologetic--she acknowledged they know there is community spread and said they've been getting so many calls from people like me, but they just have a shortage of tests and it is out of their hands who the state allows to be tested. Please if any of you are in Missouri, don't go out and about if you can avoid it and take precautions if you must go out--I think it must be much more widespread than the official numbers indicate.

I am very grateful that none of my children have gotten sick yet and hope it stays that way. They are such troopers, even though they were sad we had to cancel a cabin-camping vacation we had planned for this weekend (and no refund from VRBO... grrr, last time I give them any business for sure). My 4-year old sang the Rapunzel "flower gleam and glow" song over and over to heal me today--I was very touched (though a little sad knowing he is worried about me) :lovestruc.

I know someone else on this board is sick too and we've been sharing our experiences (not saying who to keep their privacy), so please keep them in your thoughts as well.

Two Navy hospital ships are being sent places....the Comfort to NYC and the Mercy to somewhere else, probably West Coast.. Each have 1,000 beds and are to be used for non Covid-19 medical issues according to the news. They are still weeks away though.

MJ
I read today that the Comfort is currently undergoing maintenance and won't be ready for several weeks.

Thank you... I thought I was finally feeling a bit better this morning, but now my fever is back up to 101 and the shortness of breath is worse now, so I just feel pretty wretched. I've spent many hours on hold or on the phone with doctors and the state testing team, checking to see if anyone will test me. I was able to get a flu and strep test, both negative, but our state still requires recent travel or contact with a "laboratory confirmed Covid case" before I can get a Covid test. The nurse I talked to today from the testing site was really nice and apologetic--she acknowledged they know there is community spread and said they've been getting so many calls from people like me, but they just have a shortage of tests and it is out of their hands who the state allows to be tested. Please if any of you are in Missouri, don't go out and about if you can avoid it and take precautions if you must go out--I think it must be much more widespread than the official numbers indicate.

I am very grateful that none of my children have gotten sick yet and hope it stays that way. They are such troopers, even though they were sad we had to cancel a cabin-camping vacation we had planned for this weekend (and no refund from VRBO... grrr, last time I give them any business for sure). My 4-year old sang the Rapunzel "flower gleam and glow" song over and over to heal me today--I was very touched (though a little sad knowing he is worried about me) :lovestruc.

I know someone else on this board is sick too and we've been sharing our experiences (not saying who to keep their privacy), so please keep them in your thoughts as well.

I feel so bad for you. I think it is crazy that someone with your symptoms and your negative other tests can't get tested. Good luck to you and feel better.

MJ

hank you... I thought I was finally feeling a bit better this morning, but now my fever is back up to 101 and the shortness of breath is worse now,

Did you tell them that your shortness of breath is worsening? At what point do they deem you sufficiently ill to need some medical assistance? Did they have any answers for you?

Pretty sure they have no clue what they are doing yet as things continue to change. I would like official confirmation my Hawaii cruise is canceled....just waiting for the email.

yes, I am waiting too for the official cancellation, so to get a full cash refund

I think they will do it once they have caught up with the other cancelled cruises. I am also waiting. I did cancel my July cruise, Aulani and my 2021 transatlantic. If things don’t completely shut down, and I think they might, then prices will be low. I am worried that Disney will go bankrupt. There is a major global depression coming and cruising may not be something people can afford.

My 4-year old sang the Rapunzel "flower gleam and glow" song over and over to heal me today--I was very touched (though a little sad knowing he is worried about me) :lovestruc.
This is so incredibly sweet! I really hope you'll feel better soon and non of our family will get sick!

I just received email confirmation that my request to cancel our 25th anniversary land & sea vacation is complete. We were scheduled for end of August-beginning of September. Like others here, my hubby and I are in the compromised group, believe that our country hasn’t even peaked yet, and would rather have all of our deposit money back at this time. As sad as we are, we already had a May 2021 DCL before this cancellation and as DVC members, we know we will be back again at some point. (Virtual) hugs to everyone...stay safe and healthy

Glad they've pushed out some PIF date. I'm on the 8/10 Alaska cruise. I'm not wanting to make a decision at this point but if I had to I'd probably cancel. I'm sorry for those of you past your PIF date.

The thought of bankruptcy had not even occurred to me. We have three upcoming cruises booked, the next in Europe in August. Maybe I am being too optimistic about where things are going. On another note, MARRIOTT doesn’t seem too worried. I had some hotel bookings on points for an upcoming trip that I had not yet cancelled, and rooms for late August and are December - they emailed to tell me I had to cancel one of the bookings or they would do it! Really MARRIOTT? You don’t have other things to worry about?? I canceled all of them, including some paid bookings I had held for summer and fall meetings in the US that will likely eventually be cancelled.

I'd say they could, but if there are no Bahamian residents on Castaway, I bet they could make an exception...
No Bahamian residents live on the island, but they do come there to work when a ship docks. If the Bahamas bans cruise ships, I expect that would extend to CC as well, so those residents don't bring anything back to the main population after working on CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter