• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

We watched a live briefing by the WHO where they said that while the virus could “subside” during summer months, their current models suggested it will still be there but not as active and then regain strength in the typical flu season, namely fall and winter.

My word choice was poor....they said subside, I said go away. My apologies.

I just don’t feel that planning a cruise for the fall or winter (for my family anyway) would be prudent. I doubt insurance companies will cover them for a while. Just my opinion.

If Disney does declare bankruptcy but still keeps operating cruises, will I still be able to hold on to my credit? I don't want my money back - I want to go on a cruise as soon as it is feasible. I am lucky in that I can actually go pretty much anytime DCL says let's sail.
I'd think the reverse would be FAR more likely, that Disney would shutter DCL in attempts to save the rest. DCL is a small portion of their revenue and certainly not something that builds (or even helps build really) new brands/ content/ characters, the real moneymakers. If this happens I'm guessing--and this is just a guess based on nothing but what I think Disney would do to try to preserve their reputation--is they would issue Disney gift cards or credits to be used to make up for the cruise fare of cruises not sailing. But I dont really expect that they will stop sailing.

I am not confident about that...until we get a vaccine or a cure, there isn’t going to be any cruising anywhere...and that might be 2 years until herd immunity. No port will take a ship, insurance won’t cover illness, people are broke AND seniors will not want to go cruising. I hope I am wrong, but the cruise industry is dead for a long while.

So if we can't turn the money we paid into a Cruising credit, I think we may be out of quite a bit of money. I consolidated all of my payments onto 2 physical cards and now we can only find 1 of them... I know we were supposed to do it on physical cards so that this wouldn't be an issue if we canceled, but there was no way we would cancel. But I mean, who could have seen THIS coming? Heck, if they let us we'll still sail in September.

Any advice on how not to lose this money if they really are closed for the next 2 years? And please refrain from telling me I was stupid - I already know this.

So if we can't turn the money we paid into a Cruising credit, I think we may be out of quite a bit of money. I consolidated all of my payments onto 2 physical cards and now we can only find 1 of them... I know we were supposed to do it on physical cards so that this wouldn't be an issue if we canceled, but there was no way we would cancel. But I mean, who could have seen THIS coming? Heck, if they let us we'll still sail in September.

Any advice on how not to lose this money if they really are closed for the next 2 years? And please refrain from telling me I was stupid - I already know this.
Ive seen some reference that you can tell DCL you no longer have a card and they will issue a new card. No personal experience but I wouldnt just assume all is lost. Try not to worry too much and Im sure someone will be along soon to tell you the proper way to ask on the phone.

I wouldn’t worry about this. When I asked for the refund, they asked if I wanted the reverse charge on my credit card that I used. They didn’t tell me that I had to use that one. Just ask for it to go on the card you still have.

We are (not) sailing in 20 days. A week ago we decided to book a cruise for next Feb, which would just break even on a a 125%, but this week we're just thinking a refund. We're heading for a Depression and we'd rather have the cash. Disney's foot dragging isn't helping them then.

We are (not) sailing in 20 days. A week ago we decided to book a cruise for next Feb, which would just break even on a a 125%, but this week we're just thinking a refund. We're heading for a Depression and we'd rather have the cash. Disney's foot dragging isn't helping them then.
I agree. We may need all the money we can get before this thing is over. We have already given into the fact that a summer vacation will not be in the cards for us. Now DCL just needs to return our money to us that we paid for a service that will never be provided.

4/10 is the Friday before things are due to commence 4/13 (Monday). Would fit in with the lack of notice given to the last set of passengers.

I think we will get an update this week. Currently, cruises embarking June 1 have been excluded from all special rebooking/delayed PIF announcements. These cruises move into the 50% penalty period within the upcoming week and given there are Alaskan cruises in this group that clearly aren’t happening, I think they will announce alternatives before the 50% penalty phase happens.

If it’s any indication, WDW’s “indefinite” closure appears to be focused as April and May. They aren’t allowing any reservations, tickets or ADRs for that period.

Good luck to all those with impacted plans!

I think we will get an update this week. Currently, cruises embarking June 1 have been excluded from all special rebooking/delayed PIF announcements. These cruises move into the 50% penalty period within the upcoming week and given there are Alaskan cruises in this group that clearly aren’t happening, I think they will announce alternatives before the 50% penalty phase happens.

June Alaska cruises are literally the outlier here—everyone else has been given options if they are going to areas that might be effected or closed (Europe, etc) but not Alaska for June even though the port we need to leave from is literally closed. It’s complete garbage. I’m the biggest Disney fan you could find but this is unfair. And the idea that they could change it to a Mexican cruise is not that appealing. Is there really a weeks worth of ports to see off of San Diego?

Carnival lines (Save Princess) are saying they will make their announcement tomorrow - I would expect Disney to as well. There are a lot of moving pieces here (what do they do with the crew, ships, etc).

We are also impacted, but this take a lot of coordination that is beyond just Disney - it includes the ports, crew, airlines, hotels so many things. Betting we hear something tomorrow.

June Alaska cruises are literally the outlier here—everyone else has been given options if they are going to areas that might be effected or closed (Europe, etc) but not Alaska for June even though the port we need to leave from is literally closed. It’s complete garbage. I’m the biggest Disney fan you could find but this is unfair. And the idea that they could change it to a Mexican cruise is not that appealing. Is there really a weeks worth of ports to see off of San Diego?

There is also the assumption that Port of San Diego would allow home porting.
Spoiler: Probably not.

I agree! We are on the June 8 cruise and this is crap. This cruise is the one where we become castaway club gold... so not our first cruise.
Vancouver port is closed
Seattle port is closed
Alaska is considering closing their ports

In no fairytale land can this cruise take place.
Just call it and keep your customers happy.

Family of 8 booked on Magic April 16. No way are we going and would like refund. At least 2 of us (70+) will not cruise until vaccine is available, so 15 month rebooking is no-go for us. Feel like Disney is playing chicken with us. Can’t believe Disney is even hoping to sail in April. No luggage tags received.
We have a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy departing 4/25 and received our luggage tags on Friday. We are both seniors and will not be going but like you would prefer a refund instead of credit. I can't believe they intend to sail 4/25 and am very disappointed they have not made any further announcements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter