Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Following a pattern set by the MS Westerdam, a cruise ship in the Caribbean has been turned away from two ports over fears of the coronavirus. The ship, with more than 4,500 passengers and 1,600 crew members, was not allowed to dock in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands after it was discovered a crew member onboard was unwell.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...0200226-k475i3mpd5awjkcaltwht4vfba-story.html

We have a DCL cruise booked in June and Im not concerned so much about the virus while travelling but being stuck on the ship due to fear mongering and overreaction. I don't want to be trapped on a ship for two weeks with young kids.

We have a DCL cruise booked in June and Im not concerned so much about the virus while travelling but being stuck on the ship due to fear mongering and overreaction. I don't want to be trapped on a ship for two weeks with young kids.

Same.
I have a WBPC cruise next week & my greatest fear is to be quarantined in the SR for who knows how long.
Not worried if they cancel, if ports turn away the ship, heck I'm not even worried about the virus (for now)
But if there's a mandatory quarantine on the ship I would go crazy confined in the SR for 23 hours for days (and we have a verandah room)

And this news over ONE crew member on the ship who is "suspected" to be ill? - wow.

Makes me nervous that if ports are turning ships away, what's the cruise lines' mindset?
If there's one CM or passenger suspected to be ill will they quarantine the entire ship or just him/her?
I'm guessing the entire ship with the current level of paranoia.
Scary stuff.

Same.
I have a WBPC cruise next week & my greatest fear is to be quarantined in the SR for who knows how long.
Not worried if they cancel, if ports turn away the ship, heck I'm not even worried about the virus (for now)
But if there's a mandatory quarantine on the ship I would go crazy confined in the SR for 23 hours for days (and we have a verandah room)

And this news over ONE crew member on the ship who is "suspected" to be ill? - wow.

Makes me nervous that if ports are turning ships away, what's the cruise lines' mindset?
If there's one CM or passenger suspected to be ill will they quarantine the entire ship or just him/her?
Scary stuff.

And that crew member has tested positive for influenza, which is most likely the only virus he is suffering from, but ports are turning the ship away because of the possibility he might have the corona virus.

My understanding of the quarantine on the Diamond Princess is that the only passengers permitted out of their staterooms for an hour a day were those in inside staterooms. Maybe they also let out the passengers in oceanview rooms, but I hadn't read that. Passengers in verandah rooms were not allowed out of their rooms at all because they had the verandah available to be able to get fresh air.

Same, only mid-March.

And that crew member has tested positive for influenza, which is most likely the only virus he is suffering from, but ports are turning the ship away because of the possibility he might have the corona virus.

My understanding of the quarantine on the Diamond Princess is that the only passengers permitted out of their staterooms for an hour a day were those in inside staterooms. Maybe they also let out the passengers in oceanview rooms, but I hadn't read that. Passengers in verandah rooms were not allowed out of their rooms at all because they had the verandah available to be able to get fresh air.
The guy on reddit who was posting a lot, and who now has a blog about his continued quarantine in Texas, had a verandah and they were let out from time to time, but not as often as those with inside staterooms.

But no matter what, it doesn't sound fun.

The guy on reddit who was posting a lot, and who now has a blog about his continued quarantine in Texas, had a verandah and they were let out from time to time, but not as often as those with inside staterooms.

But no matter what, it doesn't sound fun.
Would you please link his blog?

Same.

Scary stuff.
We are on your cruise, but family of four in inside stateroom. Praying not to be stuck in there for days on end!

I think my neighbors are on this cruise!! I know they were going on MSC, out of Miami, on a Western Caribbean itinerary! How many of those could there be?

Last edited:

This is my concern. A cruise filled with tension followed by a pointless quarantine.

This is my concern. A cruise filled with tension followed by a pointless quarantine.

Yeah wife and I are leaning pretty hard on rescheduling until spring 2021 and just doing WDW instead. Sucks we were super excited and not overly concerned about the virus in that area(at this time). But too much risk of being denied entry or stuck on the ship. Plus at nearly 6k for 4 nights we really want to enjoy it without stress.

Yeah wife and I are leaning pretty hard on rescheduling until spring 2021 and just doing WDW instead. Sucks we were super excited and not overly concerned about the virus in that area(at this time). But too much risk of being denied entry or stuck on the ship. Plus at nearly 6k for 4 nights we really want to enjoy it without stress.

FYI there were a couple CM's who took a trip to Italy who were asked not to return to work

I fully trust Disney but they have no control over the ports they pull into. And my kids are 5 and 3. I could personally ride out two weeks in a 300sq/ft room but they would lose it.

Sorry I was referring to WDW. There are some Epcot workers that were asked to stay home

We have a 5 day Disney Cruise in mid March and also concerned. Not about getting the virus but about being quarantined or denied entry at ports. Our daughter has Spring Break from college so don't want her to miss school. Not sure if we can reschedule but we are thinking of changing our plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter