Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I was just checking the cheapest cruises for DCL. The 3 night Dream cruise on 8May, now 2 adults 1,258 EUR ($1,380). Is that considered 'a low price' / 'a good offer'?

I’ve taken care of a lot patients with ARDS this Winter that were negative for the flu. Maybe they had Corona maybe I’ve had it. Everyone in my family including me has had a few mild cold/flu like illness this Winter. Since we’re not testing who knows.
I’m old enough to remember the swine flu pandemic of 2009. There’s was a lot of panic over that and then things seem to mellow out after a month or so. The economy was already bad and the stock market had already tanked in 2008 so I don’t think it made it any worse.

Ah yes-the swine flu of 2009. I had a middle school age daughter. The middle school still had the dance (of course they did-pandemic be damned back then) in the sweaty, incubator of a gym. And guess what? My daughter caught the swine flu. We had her tested, so we know it was the swine flu. 3 days later with care, she was fine. (For which I am thankful).

We have also suffered here from nasty respiratory virus here in January. My husband coughed for a week. Did he have the virus? Another virus. I guess, we will never know. And I guess that is sort of my point. If you are not testing, you can't have good data and do the proper calculation that will give you mortality rate etc. Can you? Maybe I am wrong about that.

I am hopeful things mellow out with the spring. Certainly the media is on something like a two week cycle, so even if it doesn't subside, they will be off to talking about something else by mid March.

I’ve taken care of a lot patients with ARDS this Winter that were negative for the flu. Maybe they had Corona maybe I’ve had it. Everyone in my family including me has had a few mild cold/flu like illness this Winter. Since we’re not testing who knows.
I’m old enough to remember the swine flu pandemic of 2009. There’s was a lot of panic over that and then things seem to mellow out after a month or so. The economy was already bad and the stock market had already tanked in 2008 so I don’t think it made it any worse.

Seeing as you are a professional - would you cancel travel?

Wow - that is crazy. I'd have to presume, each time would be milder? As your immune system builds up anti-bodies?
There have only been a few reported second cases, mostly in China, one in I think it was Japan. I am assuming a mutation on the virus as the PP stated but I have not seen anything wither way to indicate with any certainty.

Here is the thing that has concerned me. Two days ago a small study was released that indicated most patients with COVID-19 had changes to the lung tissue, this includes patients that were testing positive but showing no symptoms. Up until I read this study yesterday I wasnt really concerned about catching this virus. Figuring that even if I do, it wont be devastating to my health as I am not really in a risk group for negative complications. However I am now concerned that contracting this virus at all may leave me with life long implications.

There have only been a few reported second cases, mostly in China, one in I think it was Japan. I am assuming a mutation on the virus as the PP stated but I have not seen anything wither way to indicate with any certainty.

Here is the thing that has concerned me. Two days ago a small study was released that indicated most patients with COVID-19 had changes to the lung tissue, this includes patients that were testing positive but showing no symptoms. Up until I read this study yesterday I wasnt really concerned about catching this virus. Figuring that even if I do, it wont be devastating to my health as I am not really in a risk group for negative complications. However I am now concerned that contracting this virus at all may leave me with life long implications.

For folks interested - here is an article describing the lung changes. They state the majority of people will not have this complication - but smokers and others already having lung issues could have complications.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...ew-coronavirus-disease-can-take-a-deadly-turn

The thing that confused me about that article is that it refers to “covid 19 pneumonia patients”. I have not heard of covid 19 being called covid 19 pneumonia, so doesn’t that mean that these patients have pneumonia? If so, then wouldn’t there be changes to their lung tissue because they have pneumonia?

Let’s say we are underreported and there are cases. We are not experiencing a particularly deadly flu season and no reports of pneumonia deaths being unusually high. So if it is in the wild here in US, it’s not causing any problems different than our usual cold and flu season. In which case, what is there to worry about?

Tell that to the local authorities who decide if a ship gets to dock in their port or not or if it should be quarantined.

Tell that to the local authorities who decide if a ship gets to dock in their port or not or if it should be quarantined.
Were going to have a global recession if the authorities, world leaders don’t get some travel protocols in place. Many countries are dependent on tourism especially the islands in the Caribbean.
It seems like more people are worried about being quarantined or stuck somewhere than they are about getting the virus.

For folks interested - here is an article describing the lung changes. They state the majority of people will not have this complication - but smokers and others already having lung issues could have complications.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...ew-coronavirus-disease-can-take-a-deadly-turn

This article is dated almost two weeks before the study I posted. And that study references new findings (i.e., a study completed a day or two before per the article). I dont believe we are talking about the same thing as your article does not reference asymptomatic patients having changes in the lung tissue. Or maybe I am way off base.

The thing that confused me about that article is that it refers to “covid 19 pneumonia patients”. I have not heard of covid 19 being called covid 19 pneumonia, so doesn’t that mean that these patients have pneumonia? If so, then wouldn’t there be changes to their lung tissue because they have pneumonia?
The pneumonia thing might be a translation issue. But the article clearly talks about lung changes in asymptomatic patients.

I guess what isnt clear is are these patients that never went on to display symptoms or if they were just in that 24 hour range (I think that's the current thought) where you test positive but arent yet symptomatic. Maybe its a case of if you stay truly asymptomatic you dont have changes to the lung tissue but if you are someone that displays symptoms eventually there might some damage before you even know you are sick via symptoms.

That is true for me as the mortality rate is pretty low.
I have a Baltic cruise planned. At this time I don’t plan on cancelling unless Disney cancels. I do think a lot of people will cancel cruises unless we can get some reassurance there won’t be another princess repeat.

A bit of a silver lining from UC Davis Medical Center. They sent a letter out to people on campus, letting them know that they essentially suspected from the admission that the new COVID-19 patient had the virus, and so even though the CDC didn't test her until several days later, they took precautions as if she had the virus. She still was likely exposing people before she arrived at UC Davis, but its good that she hasn't been for the last several days.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/coronavirus-patient-and-precautions-uc-davis-medical-center

Anyone know, if you show up for your cruise and they turn you away due to whatever you put on your health sheet, do you get any refund?

We're sailing next week out of Nola.
And DCL just sent an email informing of precautions they're taking in light of the CV.
They listed a bunch of countries that if you visited in the last 2 weeks you won't be allowed to board
And that they will be screening ppl for flu-like symptoms.
The email plus the cases in CA, plus the DOW plunging almost 3,000 points.. - I think things are getting more serious by the day.

We're sailing next week out of Nola.
And DCL just sent an email informing of precautions they're taking in light of the CV.
They listed a bunch of countries that if you visited in the last 2 weeks you won't be allowed to board
And that they will be screening ppl for flu-like symptoms.
The email plus the cases in CA, plus the DOW plunging almost 3,000 points.. - I think things are getting more serious by the day.
What’s going to happen when this spreads to every country.? Then nobody boards? They may have to consider cancelling all cruises if that’s the case.

Anyone know, if you show up for your cruise and they turn you away due to whatever you put on your health sheet, do you get any refund?
Maybe I was hasty in my no. Normally that would be the case, but this isn’t normal. I would hope if you visited one of the banned countries in the last two weeks you would get a refund.

No, which could mean that someone who may have flu-like symptoms could easily be inclined to lie about it... Does anyone know if Travel insurance would cover ones potential loss?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter