coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
FDNY Firefighters Told Not To Respond To Cases Involving Coronavirus Symptoms

The FDNY is telling its firefighters not to head out on calls that might put them in contact with the coronavirus. The job will fall solely on EMS workers.

“Firefighters continue to respond to the highest priority medical calls, whether they are potential COVID-19 calls or not, including all segment 1 incidents, cardiac and respiratory arrests, choking, and trauma incidents,”

Title and news story is a little misleading.

During High call volumes EMS ONLY will be taking calls for Corona Symptoms.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers or on TV.

Amtrak To Halt Non-stop Train From D.C. To New York City Amid Coronavirus Panic. Bad news for the East Coast Elites. Amtrak announced that it will be suspending non-stop Acela service between Washington, D.C., and New York City for the next few months due to decreased demand caused by panic over the coronavirus.

Only 4 trains have non-stop service per day. Those have been canceled.

Over 30 trains that have stops continue as normal between NYC and DC.

I appreciate the discussion here. Would love your opinion on this.

We have 6 'refundable' tickets as long as they aren't activated. My fast pass day is this Thursday. I'm thinking it might be worth foregoing the fast pass selection on Thurs in order to preserve the option to get the tickets refunded should things take a turn for the worst. I'm not overly concerned, but kind of stuck in the middle. My millennial kids think this is nothing to be concerned about but hubby is concerned because he has mild asthma. We are both upper 50's. We will all be flying. Just thinking it may be ok to forego having FP's (especially since most of the top tier rides are already gone.) Kids won't be happy but...oh well. Any advice or considerations?

Here is a doctor’s memo from the frontlines in Italy (translation in English from original memo):

If anyone continues to think that Covid-19 is more related to the normal flu than it is to SARS and MERS, hopefully, this will give you an idea of what it could be like when there’s greater spread of the “flu.”

As mentioned by that doctor, pneumonia is a serious complication that can occur in hospitalized patients with severe Cov symptoms. Even if you don’t die and make a full recovery, you’ll end up having scars in the lungs.
This is why cystic fibrosis patients should be more careful. Their chances of getting Cov infection is not any more or less than the general public, but their underlying CF condition can be worsened.

I’m not trying to fear monger. But, do understand that human psychology tends to only react with urgency when a danger is imminent and too late. Let’s admit, most thought this was all a nothingburger when China started having an outbreak and not a single person in the US was confirmed to have contracted the disease. Look where we are from just a couple weeks ago.

This is what happens when people panic instead of being prepared. Same thing when a child goes into a test unprepared. I have a feeling this Italian doctor feels the same way that the first Chinese doctors felt when the public and authorities ignored them as the virus first started spreading. Unfortunately, those first Chinese doctors are dead now.

Last edited:

“Firefighters continue to respond to the highest priority medical calls, whether they are potential COVID-19 calls or not, including all segment 1 incidents, cardiac and respiratory arrests, choking, and trauma incidents,”

Title and news story is a little misleading.

During High call volumes EMS ONLY will be taking calls for Corona Symptoms.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers or on TV.

The real news is the virus to starting to change many facets of life, and the FDNY story is just one such story. Expect the unexpected. The 11 million residents in Italy didnt expect to be threatened with jail if they broke quarantine today.

Having worked in NYC for 30 years, its not out unexpected to restart prioritizing fire fighters for fighting fires, and letting ems focus on their job, like they way the functioned before 1990’s , when Giuliani merged EMS with FDNY and directed FD to pick up EMS calls. This new directive may impact response times in the short term. Also don’t be surprised if additional changes are forthcoming.

Too are many examples nationwide were exposure to one infected person is forcing multiple people to self quarantine for 14 days, this has a real impact staffing levels.

I remember working midnights in the Bronx in the late 1980’s were I was the only uniform cop available patrol in my command, and because of that I was stationed outside the police station all night for safety reasons. This was under normal operating procedures.

Just popping in to let you all know that the HUB has a dedicated section on the virus. Basically confirming the safety precautions that the CDC has already said, hand washing, no touching the face, sneezing into a tissue or sleeve, other than that specifically for CM they have a dedicated hotline for any questions they might have. Cruise Line and Parks continue to monitor and operate as normal with a heightened sense of caution, more hand sanitizing stations have popped up all over property in the last 3 days. Universal Orlando has a similar information page and hotline for their team members

As a DVC member who visits often, I'm happy for the additional Purell sanitizers and cast members wiping the finger scans after each use due to the Coronavirus. I do have a problem with the bag checks. My wife's small purse is always rummaged through, and her makeup kit is quite often opened and fingered by the inspectors with visibly dirty hands/gloves. This is so unsanitary and a vector for disease transmission. Gloves need to be changed for each person and the opening of small items in a purse is just unnecessary and has to stop. These inspectors can look at most women and know they are not an issue.

Also, maybe gloves need to be put at the entrance of each ride for guests for handlebars and seat belt usage.

The more protection the better.

I appreciate the discussion here. Would love your opinion on this.

We have 6 'refundable' tickets as long as they aren't activated. My fast pass day is this Thursday. I'm thinking it might be worth foregoing the fast pass selection on Thurs in order to preserve the option to get the tickets refunded should things take a turn for the worst. I'm not overly concerned, but kind of stuck in the middle. My millennial kids think this is nothing to be concerned about but hubby is concerned because he has mild asthma. We are both upper 50's. We will all be flying. Just thinking it may be ok to forego having FP's (especially since most of the top tier rides are already gone.) Kids won't be happy but...oh well. Any advice or considerations?

I personally would not travel, but thats me. I have been tracking this virus since January when 50 millions people were quarantined, supplies of the sold out N95 mask selling for $985 when stock returned and it never did. By the end of February I watched Italy go from 2 cases to todays count of 7,375 in about 2 weeks. Last Monday at 7am Italy reported 1,696 cases so rate of infection is growing faster then what the experts predicted

Logically I would assume the if the February Break travelers start becoming symptomatic coupled with wide availability of Mondays promised 3 Millions Test kits, there may sudden spike the US reported cases and with that further actions

Good luck with your decision

As a DVC member who visits often, I'm happy for the additional Purell sanitizers and cast members wiping the finger scans after each use due to the Coronavirus. I do have a problem with the bag checks. My wife's small purse is always rummaged through, and her makeup kit is quite often opened and fingered by the inspectors with visibly dirty hands/gloves. This is so unsanitary and a vector for disease transmission. Gloves need to be changed for each person and the opening of small items in a purse is just unnecessary and has to stop. These inspectors can look at most women and know they are not an issue.

Also, maybe gloves need to be put at the entrance of each ride for guests for handlebars and seat belt usage.

totally agree with you regarding the bag checks.

regarding rides, do they have purell sanitizers at the rides?

and by the way, i'm jealous that you're able to visit often!!
we're also DVC, but are able to get there about once in 3 years....

On a personal note, I have been reading CDC guidelines and reports and local TV. Both of my kids work at the theme parks I visit the parks 3 times a week and I am not worried.

I suggest a clear plastic zip-top back instead of a makeup kit. That makes it obvious there's nothing to search inside.

Using that many gloves for a non-essential gathering (gloves for every person on every ride) is incredibly wasteful. For most people, it provides a false sense of security (they'll contaminate themselves with the gloves on, or while taking the gloves off. Especially over the course of a day, people get sloppy.) Moreover, it only reduces fomite transmission, not the more common droplet pathways. If you're that concerned about coronavirus transmission - stay home!

If a hospitalization is required for severe cases, it is likely the patient will require hospitalization for at least 1 week—unless they die sooner.
Just look at the number of infected every 3 days, it’s almost double in new outbreaks.
Also, it’s not like all the beds are made available just for Cov patients. On any given day, the typical ICU is 2/3 full and the ER has a wait time of about 2.5 hours—unless you’re about to die.

The hope is no one in the 20% hospitalization group gets pneumonia complications. Even if you fully recover from Cov-related pneumonia, you’ll end up with scarring in your lungs.

This is an article about the situation in northern Italy. It speaks to a medical system overwhelmed and close to collapse to the number of severely ill cases, particularly those needing intensive care.

For context, according to BBC today (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51793619), the current numbers in Italy are:

The number of people to have died from the coronavirus in Italy has shot up by 133 in a day to 366, officials say.

The total number of infections leapt 25% to 7,375 from 5,883, according to the Civil Protection agency.

The article below is in Italian, so the below snippets are from Google's translation.

https://www.corriere.it/cronache/20...oi-cb01190a-60be-11ea-8d61-438e0a276fc4.shtml
QUOTE SNIPPETS

Coronavirus: «We are also creating intensive therapies in the corridors»

The alarm of the coordinator of the crisis unit of the Lombardy Region Antonio Pesenti: «On March 26th in Lombardy we will have 18,000 sick, 3,000 will need respiratory assistance»

«By now we are forced to create intensive therapies in the corridor, in the operating rooms, in the recovery rooms. We gutted entire hospital wards to make room for the seriously ill. One of the best healthcare in the world, the Lombard one, is one step away from collapse ».

Antonio Pesenti , 68, is the coordinator of the Lombardy Region Crisis Unit for intensive care. Publicly praised by the scientist Alberto Mantovani as one of the best Italian men of science, he is a physician-resuscitator with strong nerves, accustomed to governing any type of emergency. But at nine o'clock on Saturday evening, after 17 days of non-stop work, his voice is broken by tiredness and worry: "If the population does not understand that they must stay at home, the situation will become catastrophic ».

She, together with her colleagues in the reanimations, is the author of a very harsh letter to the government of Giuseppe Conte: "The scientific projections are very alarming". What do you mean by that?
«The picture is of such gravity as to require an increase in resuscitation places up to ten times the current availability. The number of hospitalized patients expected on March 26 is 18 thousand Lombard patients, of which between 2,700 and 3,200 will require hospitalization in intensive care. Today there are already over a thousand patients between those in resuscitation and those who risk getting worse from one minute to the next. We monitor the situation 24 hours a day ».

END

The article also speaks to why it isn't easy to transfer the patients to other parts of the country for are.

One assumes this overburdening is one of the primary drivers behind the mass quarantine Italy has imposed: the need to contain it as much as possible, or at least seriously slow it down.

I think Italy will be an important bellwether for what other countries need to prepare for.

The mass quarantine strategy Italy is implementing and the milder strategies other jurisdictions are using will be interesting to see how much benefit they confer, and in turn what consequences that may have for US theme parks as US authorities at various levels consider the strategies they will implement as things progress.

We use clear bags to hold things within our park bag. Ziploc works. I also like Flanabags [ https://flanabags.com/ ]. That way they can clearly see what is inside the clear bag(s) and no need to go further.

SW

really they need to just install X-ray machines - that has to be faster then opening the bags and every last zippered compartment

On a personal note, I have been reading CDC guidelines and reports and local TV. Both of my kids work at the theme parks I visit the parks 3 times a week and I am not worried.

Thanks for updating us. Since you are there and your kids work there try to keep us all up to date on anything you guys here. I was there last week and will be there again next week and was not worried then and am not worried about being there next week.

really they need to just install X-ray machines - that has to be faster then opening the bags and every last zippered compartment

That could also lower their costs in the long term by employing less security personnel at the gates.
While at it, they could also deploy automatic thermal sensors like they have at airports.

This is so unsanitary and a vector for disease transmission. Gloves need to be changed for each person and the opening of small items in a purse is just unnecessary and has to stop. These inspectors can look at most women and know they are not an issue.
I agree. An over zealous security person completely dismantled my pregnant daughter-in-law's purse and diaper bag in December. Each item of baby toys, food, drink, personal care was handled. We had to use baby wipes to wipe everything down. A very pregnant lady with her young baby is hardly a threat to security. Some common sense would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter