• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Courtesy for people in wheelchairs

Talking Hands

<font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<
1. Don't touch the wheelchair without permission of the user. the wheelchair is really an extension of myself.

2. Don't cut in front of the wheelchair. This is for your safety as well as mine. I can't stop on a dime. While a manual wheelchair has brakes, a power wheelchair does not.

3. Be conscious of where the power wheelchair's controller is. They are not all on the right ( mine is left). If you hit my hand or arm on that side you can cause me to lose control of the wheelchair momentarily. This is especially important for character handlers. For the characters safety it is better if I can turn off the power before the character comes to hug me. He can't see where the controller is and my wheelchair could wipe out his toes. On the same note don't walk to close to the wheelchair. If your foot gets under the wheels it can hurt you and it can flip my wheelchair onto it's side and seriously injure me.

4. Please speak to me not my compainion or even ignore me altogether when I am unaccompanied. I am an intelligent person. Just my legs and ears don't work right.

5. Please don't say you wish you could be riding in my wheelchair. Trust me, I would rather be walking like you. Being in a wheelchair is not fun but it is better than being in pain or not visiting Disney.

Any more from others.

All true.

I'm especially glad you mentioned the first one. My condition makes me sensitive to touch and I hate it when I'm positioned where there are "standers" behind or beside me. They often feel like they can lean on my chair or don't notice if their feet and arms are hitting me. Although it won't injure me as my chair being tipped over would, it still sends very uncomfortable feelings through my body. Often it's a child who isn't being minded closely, and it makes me feel awkward to have to ask a child to be careful.

I'm guessing that it's more the people who DON'T read this board who need this message. Once your list is complete, is there any other board these tips can be posted on?

princess:

6. Don't use the 'disabled' restroom unless there is absolutely no alternative. Many wheelchair users have weak pelvic floor muscles. Often, when I gotta go, I gotta go NOW, and I don't want to wait in line.

7. When the restaurant is busy and you are holding the only free table whilst your significant other fetches your food, give it up to that wheelchair user trying to balace a tray of food in one hand & propel himself foreward with his only free hand. He might not be able to race the next 'table saver' to an empty table.

8. Just because your child has a computer game at home, or because 'grandpa lets him do it' don't let him or her walk over and tug on my joystick when I'm parked up. I don't always turn the power off if I just stop for a second to look at my park map, and it gives me a fright when I leap foreward unexpectedly.

9. Don't walk around with a lit cigarette hidden in a cupped hand. I get smoke in my face as you pass by.

10. Don't stand in front of me with your child when I am watching a show. This is a particular problem with those those entertainments in the parks where a crowd gathers and where there is no rope line. Often when I am watching, someone arrives later & moves in front of me.

11. Don't stop suddenly in front of me. Don't walk backwards into me to frame up that photo. Don't walk aimlessly around in circles talking on your cellphone. Don't stand in a crowd blocking the sidewalk. When I'm waiting on line in Mouse Gears to pay for my purchases, don't ask me to make space for you to get up to the till. Wheelchair users 'stand' on line too! Just because I'm below your eye level, don't treat me as if I'm invisible.

12. Don't block the curb cut-outs. They're my only way onto the sidewalk.

Andrew

I am not in a wheelchair and I find most of these things to be common courtesy, something missing in this day and age. Most of these things would be nice behaviour 'in general'. Some of hem are more specific to wheelchairs though.
Thank you for posting this list, sometimes people don't realize what they do (or don't do).
I wish the world could be a more courteous for everyone.

It's great to hear you guys mention all the things I've experienced while traveling with my handicapped friend Steve. The way people just walk right in front of Steve's power wheelchair is just crazy!! And I'm sure they'd blame the person in the wheelchair if they got hurt!!! We've also noticed the dirty looks we get when we use Steve's Guest Assist. Pass for some of the attractions. They have no clue how long it takes sometimes for us just to get to the parks after taking care of my friend's special needs. Hopefully in the future, people will have some compassion & understand what it's like to travel when you're disabled. Happy vacations to everybody!! Cathie & the Gang:yo-yo:

all area should have a companion bathroom. My husband hate using the ladies room and I will not go with him to the mens. He cannot go alone.

Good thread. These are a lot of good common courtesy things.

13. If you see a space in front of a wheelchair while in a queue, don't move up to fill the space. Most wheelchairs take a minimum of 5 feet radius to turn. By moving into the space, you may be moving into the turning space and preventing the wheelchair user from being able to move forward.

14. Remember that the "Companion Restrooms" are primarily meant for people with disabilities who need extra space or assistance while using the restroom. Many of the handicapped restroom stalls are not large enough for a wheelchair or assistant to be brought into the stall. They are often the only restroom in the whole park that some people can use. Some of the people using them might have invisible disabilities (like an autistic male child being brought in by his mother), so don't judge people using them. If you choose to use the Companion Restrooms as family restrooms, think of what other options are available to you and if you do use them, use them as quickly as possible.

15. Don't walk around with cigarettes, period!. If you are smoking, you belong in the smoking area. My DD has a had a lot of near misses where someone's cigarette (at her eye level while seated in the wheelchair) almost hit her in the face.

16. Don't judge who "needs" or "doesn't need" a wheelchair. Unless you are in that person's body (or are a close friend or family member who is privy to their needs), you have no idea what disabilities (temporary or permanent) they have. Also, just because they can walk a bit, move to a ride car seat or sit on a bench does not mean a person does not need a wheelchair or ecv. It just means that some people with mobility disabilities are able to move enough to do those things.

17. If you see a wheelchair temporarily parked without the user sitting in it, it's NOT OK to sit your child in it or let them climb on it. It is not a city bench, up for grabs. It is someone's personal property which they rely on for mobility.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
Good thread. These are a lot of good common courtesy things.

14. Remember that the "Companion Restrooms" are primarily meant for people with disabilities who need extra space or assistance while using the restroom. Many of the handicapped restroom stalls are not large enough for a wheelchair or assistant to be brought into the stall. They are often the only restroom in the whole park that some people can use. Some of the people using them might have invisible disabilities (like an autistic male child being brought in by his mother), so don't judge people using them. If you choose to use the Companion Restrooms as family restrooms, think of what other options are available to you and if you do use them, use them as quickly as possible.

I agree..good thread, and good reminder for the "common" in courtesy - just things that EVERYONE should do:D ...thanks for the invisible disabilities point Sue...we use the Companion Washrooms - as quickly as we can - with my boys. Sensory disorder makes it very difficult for them to realize when they have to use the washroom...and they often have to GO NOW...and two autistic boys and one mom makes for a very crowded space in a traditional washroom - and two little boys who can't stand for the "wall touching me" adds up to one big melt down...:D Why can't ALL the bathrooms be accessible - for EVERYONE to use...:confused: WDW is better than most:D

Hey Lisa!

15. If you see someone in a WC, PowerChair or Scooter attempting to get on the sidewalk using the access ramp, please stop and allow them to get up on the sidewalk. In some places, like the MK, that is the only way they can leave the park. They may want to leave before they are old and grey and a clear path is the only way they can do it.

Back in August, I resorted to honking my horn, yelling the sticking out my hand to make people stop after five minutes of sitting at the ramp trying to wait for someone to see me and stop. I wasn't a very pouplar person doing that, but, I did finally get out of the park!

To all the great ideas I would like to add: Be aware of your BACKPACK!
I had many near misses with folks swinging their backpacks around as well as folks who don't realize that the backpack on their back is in my face.
People don't realize that they've extended their butts with the backpacks!

Since I am in a wheelchair you shouldn't be that close that my backpack would be an issue. Fortunately with the footplate on my wheelchair I am not close enough for someone's backpack to hit me. If they are that close they have fallen on me after hitting the foot plate.

Lisa,
Do you wear the backpack or is it on your chair? I was talking about folks wearing the backpacks. Lucky you have never had anyone standing beside you in a line swing the bag and just miss your head, or sitting on a bus have the same thing happen. I would like all backpack wearers be more aware of the space they take up.

How did I forget this one!

17. When waiting for a disabled person to board the bus first, please do not stare, glare or make inappropriate comments about the need for their assistive device or the wait. Most if not all of the persons who need these devices would gladly trade them with you for your healthy, working bodies/legs.

Originally posted by Daisimae
How did I forget this one!

17. When waiting for a disabled person to board the bus first, please do not stare, glare or make inappropriate comments about the need for their assistive device or the wait. Most if not all of the persons who need these devices would gladly trade them with you for your healthy, working bodies/legs.
I thought of that one too, but I couldn't figure out how to state it. Good job.

As for backpacks, my DD's backpack is on the back of her wheelchair and doesn't stick out any further than the back of her wheels do. But, she has been almost hit by people who are beside her and have a backpack on one shoulder (rather than using both straps) or when they are hoisting the backpack back on or off their back.

Great post, but I think it needs to go on the other boards. I knew the majority from my ECV journeys, but I didn't know any of it (barring common courtesies) before I began to have physical problems. I suspect there are alot more people who would benefit from this information.

Michelle

Don't stack your strollers on the bus next to wheelchair and ECV users. Somebody's stroller fell on my hubby's bad knee while riding the bus which ended our day even though he had the ECV as it was throbbing so badly he couldn't even sit and ride.

Carol

I personally do not mind if a stroller is placed in the area in front of my wheelchair if there is room provided the owner remains there and holds it so it will not fall. If they plan on putting it there and then getting a seat then I will object as it is not secure and can fall one me or others and cause injury.
I really wish they had a small stoller pen on the buses where they could be secured. Strollers take up so much space and often seating is used for strollers which is wrong IMHO.

Another thing to mention...when boarding the Disney Bus with my disabled friend a lot of the people waiting would become impatient because they had to wait while my friend Steve was being secured in his wheelchair on the bus with the tie downs. From what I've learned the other guests are supposed to wait until the wheelchair guest & their family have boarded. Some people try to go on through the lift entrance which is also not allowed. I think some people are starting to realize they need to wait, but it would be helpful if the bus driver or a cast member informed them. Cathie & The Gang:Pinkbounc

Cathie, I understand! Last month at the Hospitality House at OKW, I was turning the ECV around to line up with the back of the bus (bus driver saw me & realized I wanted to get on his bus). A woman pushed in front of me headed toward the front door. I didn't get to see her face when she realized she was not going to beat me onto the bus :). I have encountered only very friendly, very helpful bus drivers at WDW.

I called WDW transportation to give positive feedback about several bus drivers. The supervisor was pleasantly surprised that I would take time from my vacation to call.

Cathie,
Most of the drivers do inform those waiting at the front door that they will need to wait a few minutes. Unfortunately it doesn't stop some of them from complaining or trying to go in the back door.
Even worse are the parents that scream at the driver because he will not allow them to bring their strollers on the bus open. Last trip we had a family come on the bus and when they got to the back open the stroller and put the kid in it. When it came time to off load my wheelchair they refused to move the child and fold it up again so security had to be called so I could leave the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter