• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Courtesy for people in wheelchairs

While I agree with most of the points you all have made here ( if not all ) and I'm very considerate with people with disabilities, I must say that don't forget that courtesy goes both ways, and I'm saying that because sometimes I also see people on ECV's or wheelchairs who are distracted not looking where they are going. I say this because my dd who was just walking infront of me the other day, almost got knocked down by someone on an ECV at walmart that came right across us. Later on when the same person had the ECV parked right in the middle of the aisle and gets out of it to get something , I asked if he could please move the ECV to the side so we could get through , and he told me to go F myself.
I realize that this is an isolated case , but what I am trying to say is that if we ALL have courtesy with each other, body abled or disabled, things will go a lot better.

Why aren't other people allowed to board through the front door while a wheelchair/ECV is loading through the back/side one? I am NOT complaining (have never experienced this anyway), but just asking because I don't get the rationale. Assuming the morons didn't try to plop down in the space where the ECV was supposed to go, or "cut off" the progress, what difference does it make?

I'm not sure but it may be a safety thing since the bus is still running while this is going on. I believe the the key for the lift is separate and the engine remains running while the lift is operated. Maybe ChipNDale can shed some light on this.

QUOTE Originally posted by Mskanga
but what I am trying to say is that if we ALL have courtesy with each other, body abled or disabled, things will go a lot better

I could not agree with you more!!!
:D

and I am really looking for a serious answer...not a debate!!!!! What is the protocal for using handicapped bathrooms? By that I mean, should non handicapped people be using the handicapped bathroom if a handicapped person is not around? I am also curious as tohow to"handle" a situation of a person in a wheelchair and their place in line...is it proper to let them thruogh the line, ahead of others? I was in the line for the only handicapped ladies room at the theater, and there were several people in line...many without visible problems, a few with wheelchairs and me on crutches. I knew the girl who was wheelchair bound really had to go, so I offered her my spot for hers. Thankfully, several people ahead of me caught on and did the same. I was just wondering if there was some sort of courtesy that is "known" by the general public as to "cutting" in a situation as such. Agsin, I believe this was the right and courteous thing to do, but yet somehow someone will take it all the wrong way.

Since there has been a lot of discussion already about bathrooms and handicapped stall, I am not going to allow any more here. The first "pet peeves discussion" covered about all of it. Plus, somewhere on the Debate Board, there is a very long thread.
So, here goes the explanation:
The handicapped stalls are not for the exclusive use of people with disabilities, but it would be common courtesy for people to allow someone witha diasibility to use it when it becomes free for use. People who can only use the wheelchair accessible stall will need to wait usually for every stall to "turn over" before the person in the handicapped stall is finished (I know, this has happened to us enough times). That means that during that time, the person with a wheelchair or ecv is blocking the passage for other people who can get to a stall they can use. So, it makes it easier for everyone in the long run just to let the person with a disability through.

I am happy to know that "cuts" are OK in that type of situation. My common courtesy says it should be that way as well!!!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter