Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of you might remember the promo SW that ran a few month ago to get the free Companion pass for Jan/Feb 2021. Looks like the emails went out a couple of days ago.

I checked SW airlines prices, Orlando is $266 to fly cross country, Hawaii is $365, John Wayne is $200 (although no hope for DL opening at this point.) Super tempted to book for late Feb, thinking that most people who need a vaccine will have it and the hospital burden will be less.

Last edited:
Got on FoP at 730 with 8am open. At 810 line reeached Starbucks near Africa.

View attachment 540076
So ... waiting in a line that snakes halfway through the park (and blocking traffic) is "safer" than just putting people a little bit closer (while wearing masks) in the normal queue? Granted this is the most popular ride at a park with only like 4-5 "rides" that people really want to go on . .but still. I would gather social distancing can't be followed because people have to "get by" or "cut through" the people in the line.

How long does it take get through the line? And more importantly . .how much time do you "waste" by going to the actual ride entrance to have to turn around and walk 10 minutes to the actual end of the line in another land?

I can't see Disney increasing capacity any more unless they decrease the social distancing in queues .. at least a little bit .. 4 feet? 3 feet?

So ... waiting in a line that snakes halfway through the park (and blocking traffic) is "safer" than just putting people a little bit closer (while wearing masks) in the normal queue? Granted this is the most popular ride at a park with only like 4-5 "rides" that people really want to go on . .but still. I would gather social distancing can't be followed because people have to "get by" or "cut through" the people in the line.

How long does it take get through the line? And more importantly . .how much time do you "waste" by going to the actual ride entrance to have to turn around and walk 10 minutes to the actual end of the line in another land?

I can't see Disney increasing capacity any more unless they decrease the social distancing in queues .. at least a little bit .. 4 feet? 3 feet?

I just can't see them changing any distance thing off what CDC guidance is

I keep going back to that they need more things to absorb people besides the ride queues - even if they can only have the theaters 1/2 full that would help, or set up some socially distant character meets, or put a day time show in the rivers of light theater, something

I don't see them decreasing social distancing in queues at all. I think people are just going to have to accept this is the way things will be for awhile.

I don't see them decreasing social distancing in queues at all. I think people are just going to have to accept this is the way things will be for awhile.
the problem is .. "people" see long queues as a sign of it being "crowded" (even though WE know the line is just artificially stretched long) .. which can be a negative look for Disney. This photo gets out there on social media and people start canceling their vacations because "Disney is too crowded!" -- one of their selling points right now is "there is less to do but it is way less crowded!!"

Like @TheMaxRebo said, they need to be able to absorb crowds more .. and just not sure how they do that with them having restaurants at lower capacity, with all the theater attractions closed, etc.

the problem is .. "people" see long queues as a sign of it being "crowded" (even though WE know the line is just artificially stretched long) .. which can be a negative look for Disney. This photo gets out there on social media and people start canceling their vacations because "Disney is too crowded!" -- one of their selling points right now is "there is less to do but it is way less crowded!!"

Like @TheMaxRebo said, they need to be able to absorb crowds more .. and just not sure how they do that with them having restaurants at lower capacity, with all the theater attractions closed, etc.

If people can't understand by now that it's because of social distancing then they cannot be convinced. Parks have been open for over 4 months. This should be common sense.

Disney has never suffered from people cancelling their trips due to being (looking) too crowded.

Maybe people cancel due to Covid numbers next month or so, but I predict, :D, booking sky-rockets (relatively speaking) March and on....

The vaccine announcements will probably spur a lot of spring and later bookings.

I understand that. They tried having a theatre show open in DHS with the Grand Floridian Orchestra. Guess what it was rarely attended. With them laying so many CM's off and all the equity actors, they obviously aren't in a hurry to bring back shows.

Disney has never suffered from people cancelling their trips due to being (looking) too crowded.

Maybe people cancel due to Covid numbers next month or so, but I predict, :D, booking sky-rockets (relatively speaking) March and on....

The vaccine announcements will probably spur a lot of spring and later bookings.
I guess I am more talking about the "bad look" of photos of a crowded park to the public that thinks Disney is being irresponsible by simply being open. I mean . you started to see those types of articles in Sept/October when they started getting more crowded after the ghost town crowds of July/August. I think Disney can absorb that PR hit though as long as now outbreaks are associated with them.

I could see January/February bookings being cancelled because of the current spikes. But at the same time -- IF Florida remains open while all these other states lock down tight again, I can see people needing to escape come January/February.

I understand that. They tried having a theatre show open in DHS with the Grand Floridian Orchestra. Guess what it was rarely attended. With them laying so many CM's off and all the equity actors, they obviously aren't in a hurry to bring back shows.

clearly that wasn't enough of a draw - but that was also when it was 25% max capacity and not 35% max with holiday crowds bringing things closer to that cap

But something more kid frinedly and bring back at least some equity actors to put on Nemo or the Indy show or even bring back BatB

I know it won't happen due to $, but I think that would be much more impactful than trying to tighten spacing here and there

I guess I am more talking about the "bad look" of photos of a crowded park to the public that thinks Disney is being irresponsible by simply being open. I mean . you started to see those types of articles in Sept/October when they started getting more crowded after the ghost town crowds of July/August. I think Disney can absorb that PR hit though as long as now outbreaks are associated with them.

I could see January/February bookings being cancelled because of the current spikes. But at the same time -- IF Florida remains open while all these other states lock down tight again, I can see people needing to escape come January/February.
I don’t think people are looking at these pictures and getting upset at the lines. As others have stated, it’s expected now and those that look and see the lines as an issue won’t be convinced otherwise at this point.

And all I think of now with your statements about other states locking down and Florida being open for business (you posted the same thing yesterday) is that Florida should look into copying Vegas’ old motto but amending it for the current day.
Florida - Catch it here, but then don’t stay here.

I’m writing this as I sit on the balcony at AKL waiting for the last possible minute to check out. It was a wonderful relaxing no park trip. DS was not too bad on Saturday evening when we went to eat at Wine Bar George. The biggest problem is trying to social distance while everyone is going different paces and stopping to take pictures for figure out where they are going. We went the the GKTW village lights and it was truly amazing!! I can’t recommend it enough i’ve never seen a more beautiful holiday display. It’s huge, definitely wear comfortable shoes because to see it all you will do a ton of walking. It makes the Osborne lights seem tiny in comparison. Sad to be going home but it was a great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter