Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea prob moved quickly. Most just a reminder to go as early as possible of course.

At a little after 9 EE was EST 30 min back to Nemo.

View attachment 540107
So shorter waits than "normal" (is 30 minutes shorter than your average wait for Everest?) but crazy longer snaking lines? *shrug*. I guess that doesn't seem bad .. still just seems like a crazy long walk to get from the entrance of the ride to the end of the line. (LIke .. to get to Everest, I would go through Discovery Island, cross the bridge .. take a right .. but then have to walk another 5-10 minutes to walk all the way back to Nemo).

Is where they snake these lines consistent each day? Do we have anywhere here posted (maps or a post) showing where these extended queues sometimes snake out to during social distancing times?
Just thinking for the future .. where I'd maybe want to approach an attraction from a different way.

So shorter waits than "normal" (is 30 minutes shorter than your average wait for Everest?) but crazy longer snaking lines? *shrug*. I guess that doesn't seem bad .. still just seems like a crazy long walk to get from the entrance of the ride to the end of the line. (LIke .. to get to Everest, I would go through Discovery Island, cross the bridge .. take a right .. but then have to walk another 5-10 minutes to walk all the way back to Nemo).

Is where they snake these lines consistent each day? Do we have anywhere here posted (maps or a post) showing where these extended queues sometimes snake out to during social distancing times?
Just thinking for the future .. where I'd maybe want to approach an attraction from a different way.
It’s really not as big of a deal as you’re making it. Especially when you’ll be going in January. It’s not like it’s going to be 100° and walking a little bit extra would be awful. They do make the lines quite easy to see, but some of them do go in different directions on different days. Like FoP I’ve seen head out towards the front of the park and I’ve also seen it snake down the back, down the boardwalk, and out to Lion King. But again, not really a big deal to find them, especially as they move quite quickly.

I've seen posts about complaints about park capacity and the length of socially distant lines, and I've experienced some of those lines myself, but I've also come to the conclusion that the dynamics around determining park capacity is a science.

While some think that if WDW opened more shows it would eat up a number of park goers and make the lines more manageable, I have an alternate view.

Say X is 35% of the capacity for AK given all the existing attractions, etc. Let's say that they decide to open FotLK, which is determined to take a number of park goers per hour over the entire day represented by Y. While park capacity is still 35%, the number used to base this capacity has now changed from just X to X+Y. So while having FotLK open would be great as it offers something else to do at AK, the net effect to all the lines throughout the rest of the park would be negligible.

It’s really not as big of a deal as you’re making it. Especially when you’ll be going in January. It’s not like it’s going to be 100° and walking a little bit extra would be awful. They do make the lines quite easy to see, but some of them do go in different directions on different days. Like FoP I’ve seen head out towards the front of the park and I’ve also seen it snake down the back, down the boardwalk, and out to Lion King. But again, not really a big deal to find them, especially as they move quite quickly.
Thanks for bringing me down from the ledge.

True .. all my assumptions without being there. And my assumptions are on crowd levels I am USED to.

I see your point since walkways aren't as busy .. my guess it will be easier to SPOT the lines like you point out AND easier/faster to walk to the end of the line. I am imagining normal crowds .. (thus congested, slow moving walkways). Already just knowing that lines are snaking out this far will make it easier to accept and easier to look for said lines.

I just like efficiency and not wasting time walking around to places don't need to go .. especially with kids in tow. Walk to a front of a ride and then have to walk another half mile or so to get to the end of a line with little kids with little legs is a lot different than doing it by myself.

Thanks for bringing me down from the ledge.

True .. all my assumptions without being there. And my assumptions are on crowd levels I am USED to.

I see your point since walkways aren't as busy .. my guess it will be easier to SPOT the lines like you point out AND easier/faster to walk to the end of the line. I am imagining normal crowds .. (thus congested, slow moving walkways). Already just knowing that lines are snaking out this far will make it easier to accept and easier to look for said lines.

I just like efficiency and not wasting time walking around to places don't need to go .. especially with kids in tow. Walk to a front of a ride and then have to walk another half mile or so to get to the end of a line with little kids with little legs is a lot different than doing it by myself.
Yeah don’t worry so much. You’re going to have a great time! You’ll notice the lines moving much quicker than normal.
And you could sort of make it like a scavenger hunt for the kids, looking for the sign holder indicating the end of the line!

But I know where you’re coming from. You don’t want that “A Christmas Story” moment where you get to the front of the ride and hear “the line ends here, it begins there.”

Yea I'm just not sure of the current "normal" for wait times. Crowds at resorts seemed to really pick up Sunday I suppose the holiday.

Also my guess is the line locations have changed here and there. Like EE for sure did from our last trip.

I really and truly think the problem of “but it looks so crowded! Optics!” is overblown. We were having this conversation what a month or two ago, and did it drive people away? Nope. Opposite.

I think like someone else touched on, the knowledge that Disney is still strictly enforcing safety measures like distancing is appealing, not a turn off.

I really and truly think the problem of “but it looks so crowded! Optics!” is overblown. We were having this conversation what a month or two ago, and did it drive people away? Nope. Opposite.

I think like someone else touched on, the knowledge that Disney is still strictly enforcing safety measures like distancing is appealing, not a turn off.

To me the potential for lack of ability to social distant where the queues are creating pinch points would be a concern and create anxiety. So I am one who would definitely not travel there now (grated I am also one who thinks no one should be traveling anywhere now so I might be biased)

To me the potential for lack of ability to social distant where the queues are creating pinch points would be a concern and create anxiety. So I am one who would definitely not travel there now (grated I am also one who thinks no one should be traveling anywhere now so I might be biased)

I thought I was the only one around here who felt that way. Cheers to being biased together 😂

I thought I was the only one around here who felt that way. Cheers to being biased together 😂

Add me to your club.

I agree. I've been pretty impressed by how Disney seems to be enforcing their safety measures. We are more concerned about the travel to get there than the time at Disney. That's what is still holding us back.

I agree. I've been pretty impressed by how Disney seems to be enforcing their safety measures. We are more concerned about the travel to get there than the time at Disney. That's what is still holding us back.
I was a little leary of that too, but we had no problems at all in the airports or on my Southwest flight a week ago. Flew out of Indy and am spoiled by how easy/open it is. Mask compliance was great. Hoping it is the same next week. Spacing on ME was really good, especially on the 5:00 a.m. slosh back with only 6 of us on board.

the problem is .. "people" see long queues as a sign of it being "crowded" (even though WE know the line is just artificially stretched long) .. which can be a negative look for Disney. This photo gets out there on social media and people start canceling their vacations because "Disney is too crowded!" -- one of their selling points right now is "there is less to do but it is way less crowded!!"

Like @TheMaxRebo said, they need to be able to absorb crowds more .. and just not sure how they do that with them having restaurants at lower capacity, with all the theater attractions closed, etc.
Crowds are as large as they ever have been since the parks reopened so I don't think people are cancelled en masse.

Crowds are as large as they ever have been since the parks reopened so I don't think people are cancelled en masse.
Yeah, but not sure most of that isnt just the uptick because its holiday season. Wont know until we see what happens post new year. I mean, there has to be a reason for the sudden onslaught of commercials...

To add to this discussion, what this has really shown to me is the lack of attractions the parks have outside of MK. Replacing Ellen's energy adventure with Guardians is not a net gain. You still have the same amount of attractions. My hope would be once things get better, they focus more on new attractions instead of new night time shows or new Epcot festivals.
It's a gain because people will line up to ride Guardians. Disney had plans to add attractions to Epcot, COVID changed that calculus. Ratatouille will be a new ride whenever it opens.

We’re getting to that point too. We’ve been I think 4 times since reopening and are scheduled to go again 12/7-12/9 but are leaning towards cancelling now because of the crowds at pinch points. We’ll keep the reservation until the last minute but with numbers rising down here we’re leaning towards not going. Want to see what numbers look like after Thanksgiving travel is over.

Thanksgiving week is very busy, not surprised by the amount people despite Covid. In 2018, I felt like a sardine at the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter