Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe these dividers aren’t meant to actually block germs but just to keep groups separated so they’re not all right on top of each other. So people aren’t standing in front of where another group is sitting, etc. It’s not going to do anything to prevent spread of droplets, but maybe they needed a way to just delineate where different parties should go so there’s no confusion/mixing of parties. You go to your number.

If that’s not the reason, then I really don’t get it. Since it’s frosted, it won’t look smudgy and gross, but I’m sure it’ll block people’s views. Some people are going to stand up so they can see out both sides.

I just really don’t want to ever pack into the monorail like we used to. Once a teenage boy turned away from his family to cough, didn’t realize my mom was standing right behind him and coughed right in her face. I I like the idea of separating groups in some
organized way so people aren’t packed in like sardines.

Maybe these dividers aren’t meant to actually block germs but just to keep groups separated so they’re not all right on top of each other. So people aren’t standing in front of where another group is sitting, etc. It’s not going to do anything to prevent spread of droplets, but maybe they needed a way to just delineate where different parties should go so there’s no confusion/mixing of parties. You go to your number.

If that’s not the reason, then I really don’t get it. Since it’s frosted, it won’t look smudgy and gross, but I’m sure it blocks people’s views. Some people are going to stand up so they can see out both sides.

I just really don’t want to ever pack into the monorail like we used to. Once a teenage boy turned away from his family to cough, didn’t realize my mom was standing right behind him and coughed right in her face. I like the idea of separating groups in some
That’s why I actually like that they’re doing these. They help force distancing and that’s something that had been lacking before.

If that’s not the reason, then I really don’t get it. Since it’s frosted, it won’t look smudgy and gross, but I’m sure it blocks people’s views. Some people are going to stand up so they can see out both sides.

I just really don’t want to ever pack into the monorail like we used to. Once a teenage boy turned away from his family to cough, didn’t realize my mom was standing right behind him and coughed right in her face. I like the idea of separating groups in some

I think that is my biggest worry - not the plexiglass itself but it will "allow" Disney to pack people in there.

Definitely feel that distance is way more important that plexiglass or some of these other things

I think that is my biggest worry - not the plexiglass itself but it will "allow" Disney to pack people in there.

Definitely feel that distance is way more important that plexiglass or some of these other things
I really hope the distancing stays on the monorail. Those cars used to get way too personal. Can’t count how many times we were sitting in a car at a resort watching people walk down the length of the train and trying to use the force to tell them “this is not the car you’re looking for.”

I really wish the monorail and boat would go...and Disney would figure out a way for guests to be "moving walkway"ed to MK. Transport into MK has always been my most-hated thing, and you'd think Covid would have finally been the "let's figure out how to get guests in and out rapidly" push to solve the problem.

And in Disney speak, no monorail and no boat - WAY less employees and upkeep, so you'd think they'd have wanted to do the large capital investment to finally end all this and have MK be like the other 3 parks...park and get in without needing a 2nd form of transport...

I really wish the monorail and boat would go...and Disney would figure out a way for guests to be "moving walkway"ed to MK. Transport into MK has always been my most-hated thing, and you'd think Covid would have finally been the "let's figure out how to get guests in and out rapidly" push to solve the problem.

And in Disney speak, no monorail and no boat - WAY less employees and upkeep, so you'd think they'd have wanted to do the large capital investment to finally end all this and have MK be like the other 3 parks...park and get in without needing a 2nd form of transport...
They should come up with a way to move people - some sort of... PeopleMover. 😏

I think it’s just a semantics thing. The transportation options on property have always been available to all guests visiting the parks. This announcement was referencing resort guests because of the MDE announcement, so they were trying to say all those options will continue to be available to resort guests. But people have taken it to mean they’re going to restrict monorails, busses, and skyliners to resort guests only, which they won’t be doing.

Resort transportation at one time was for resort guests. It wasnt until disney realized how much money they were leaving on the table that they turned a blind eye. If it was just for resort guests, it might actually be a more convenient perk... no lines!

But alas, at the end of the day like with anything else, the choice was made to co tinue charging resort guests and dvc members for "exlcusive" transportation, bht letting off site guests piggy back for free.

Resort transportation at one time was for resort guests. It wasnt until disney realized how much money they were leaving on the table that they turned a blind eye. If it was just for resort guests, it might actually be a more convenient perk... no lines!

But alas, at the end of the day like with anything else, the choice was made to co tinue charging resort guests and dvc members for "exlcusive" transportation, bht letting off site guests piggy back for free.

And when was that? When did they ever position the transportation as exclusive only to resort guests? As long as I can remember, people took the FW boats to Hoop de Doo from MK, monorail from MK to go to the Polynesian luau, resort boats to hop from Epcot to HS, etc.

You don’t think people should be able to use resort bus, boat, monorail or skyliner transportation to go to a dining reservation if they’re not staying at that resort? That’s absurd. Have stayed on site consistently for 30+ years and I’ve never felt that resort transportation was intended to be exclusive to us. I am in no way paying for “exclusive” transportation with my DVC dues.

And when was that? When did they ever position the transportation as exclusive only to resort guests? As long as I can remember, people took the FW boats to Hoop de Doo from MK, monorail from MK to go to the Polynesian luau, resort boats to hop from Epcot to HS, etc.

You don’t think people should be able to use resort bus, boat, monorail or skyliner transportation to go to a dining reservation if they’re not staying at that resort? That’s absurd. DVC member, have stayed on site consistently for 30+ years and I’ve never felt that resort transportation was intended to be exclusive to us.
I do remember a time in the early 90s when my family stayed at Dixie Landings we had to show our room key in order to board the bus to the parks. That’s back when the room keys were thin pieces of plastic about a third of the thickness of a KTTW card and were themed for each resort. But I only remember that on 1 trip and it obviously didn’t last long at all.

DME takes people to the front of their hotel....after a few stops at other hotels....and waiting at the airport, possibly for a long time. I understand people are upset that it is going away, but let's not pretend it was a perfect service. I've seen tons of complaints about it over the past few years. For us, getting to the airport hours before our flight meant we would never use it on the way back.
Which is exactly why I said that it's too bad they don't take criticisms and improve a service, and instead opt to remove it altogether.

Also, in all the times I've ridden DME, the longest I've ever waited for the bus leaving MCO was in early November 2020. Generally our waits were maybe 10 minutes. We also previously usually went straight to our hotel, or maybe stopped at one other hotel. However, since reopening, we've been the third of who knows how many stops on three occasions.

We also used it but if people didn’t like the multiple stops on DME they definitely wouldn’t have liked that shuttle. The Mears one we took around then stopped at a bunch of off site hotels before bringing us to property. We never did it again.
Ugh. We took a Mears shuttle one time in the early 2000s that literally took HOURS. It was like a clown car, and I think everyone was staying at a different motel.

Do all that many non resort guests use the resort transportation?

Other than to get to dining locations (which, is to spend $ so Disney should be ok with it) and maybe just to check out the resorts, why would one want/need to use it?

I feel like even if they restricted it they would still let people with an ADR use them (like how you can park at a resort if you have an ADR)

Just not sure how much impact it would have vs hassle of checking each person before the board

You don’t think people should be able to use resort bus, boat, monorail or skyliner transportation to go to a dining reservation if they’re not staying at that resort? That’s absurd. Have stayed on site consistently for 30+ years and I’ve never felt that resort transportation was intended to be exclusive to us. I am in no way paying for “exclusive” transportation with my DVC dues.

It was a LOoooooong time ago. I remember we had to show our room key/transportation card to use the hotel transportation.

Do all that many non resort guests use the resort transportation?

Other than to get to dining locations (which, is to spend $ so Disney should be ok with it) and maybe just to check out the resorts, why would one want/need to use it?

I feel like even if they restricted it they would still let people with an ADR use them (like how you can park at a resort if you have an ADR)

Just not sure how much impact it would have vs hassle of checking each person before the board

Yep. I can’t imagine how slow it would be these days to check every single person before they board every boat, bus, monorail, skyliner?

And truly ... if someone who isn’t a resort guest wants to take a resort boat to get a drink at Geyser point or go horseback riding at FW, or take a monorail joyride, why shouldn’t they be able to?

The only one you could really convince me on is the resort monorail after park close - I wish that thing would just zoom through the TTC so that it’s truly was only for MK resort guests and no one could ride it just to hop off at the TTC 🤣

It was a LOoooooong time ago. I remember we had to show our room key/transportation card to use the hotel transportation.

I must have been a kid with my parents managing my room key 🤣

The only one you could really convince me on is the resort monorail after park close - I wish that thing would just zoom through the TTC so that it’s truly was only for MK resort guests and no one could hop off at the TTC 🤣

Though for that, couldn't they just say "this resort monorail line does NOT stop at the TTC" - then if someone gets on that anyway, it is their own fault

Though for that, couldn't they just say "this resort monorail line does NOT stop at the TTC" - then if someone gets on that anyway, it is their own fault

Yes! Totally.

ETA: Although I realize this gets complicated because people at resorts need to get back to the TTC if they had ADRs etc. It would be nice if people leaving MK and going to the TTC couldn’t use the resort monorail to do that after park close, but it’s just a small annoyance.

Last edited:
Yep. I can’t imagine how slow it would be these days to check every single person before they board every boat, bus, monorail, skyliner?

And truly ... if someone who isn’t a resort guest wants to take a resort boat to get a drink at Geyser point or go horseback riding at FW, or take a monorail joyride, why shouldn’t they be able to?

The only one you could really convince me on is the resort monorail after park close - I wish that thing would just zoom through the TTC so that it’s truly was only for MK resort guests and no one could ride it just to hop off at the TTC 🤣

I must have been a kid with my parents managing my room key 🤣

They shouldnt be able to because it is dvc guests and resort guests who are paying for its operation.

Do I care at the end of the day? Not really, but its just one more thing they used to justify raising the resort fees and advertised as a reason for absurd prices...well yes we know its expensive but heres what you get for it. Then that too just disappeared and no price drop or replacement benefit was provided.

Edit and its obviously been so long that many of you forgot about that perk, which is exactly what Disney was hoping for! Eventually they will forget and just pay us anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter