Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is going to care if Universal turns in to a COVID epicenter. People would have their pitchforks out if Disney did. That's the fact of the matter and why Disney is being more cautious than Universal. Disney is also a much larger operation than Universal.
I disagree. UO is a major major theme park regardless of its physical size compared to Disney. A COVID outbreak there would be major news and people would care (you think CBS, Fox, and ABC. news wouldn’t love to showcase a brand of their rival’s in bad light if a legit story is there?).

and why is it also not equally likely that Disney isn’t trying to put together some safer plan and simply that they either have some hang up with the NBA or maybe are just botching the rollout of the announcement timeline? I mean they botch a lot of stuff from shopDisney limited releases, ROTR opening, etc., etc.

And yet, they will still have no problem bringing the masses to the parks.

And they wouldnt have a problem bringing the masses to the parks if they werent conservative with their reopening strategy. Point is, no matter what happens, Disney will receive bad PR some way or another. So thinking theyre basing their decisions on how theyll be perceived is a non factor

No one is going to care if Universal turns in to a COVID epicenter. People would have their pitchforks out if Disney did. That's the fact of the matter and why Disney is being more cautious than Universal. Disney is also a much larger operation than Universal.

I just think some people are beginning to just not care about the risk as much as they use to. My 80 year old mother refuses to stay home anymore, and wants to take her chances. I try and change the mind, but its not possible. So I am not as sure if Disney would have pitchforks out considering anyone who goes, knows the risk and is taking the risk, being as safe as they can. I don't see how people who go nuts and care if God forbid that happened when literally everyone going knows what might happen.

I also personally think Universal can't be compared to Disney. Disney is a much bigger property with many more hotels and activities, restaurants etc etc. Not to mention, I just think its much harder to restart Disney parks then universal parks. The guest experience is different. The cast members from all over the world and country. I just feel its a different ball game.

I can't wait to see how universal can manage when so many rides are 3D. They better sanitize those glasses well

I wouldn't be shocked if Disney comes out with a date a few days from now. I did say yesterday though, they have to secretly want to reopen before the other one, even just by a week

They made it clear throughout this entire process that DVC members were an afterthought. Took them entirely too long to come up with a plan for banked points, expiring points, etc. Far too long for the money that is invested. Many timeshare members spent money they didn't actually have to spend because DVC took too long to announce their plan.

This is the problem: They acted like a typical time share company. What has always set DVC apart is the "Disney" part of it. That's the reason those time shares have been able to keep value while most timeshares end up being worthless (in terms of selling value, not in terms of fun). This is just a further indicator that this is no longer a "Disney" time share company, but a typical time share company that cares very little for the owners of their time shares. It isn't just this one thing, but this is another in a line of disappointments for DVC members. That sort of treatment reduces the value of what you are buying, so that reduces the selling value for people's DVC memberships.
DVC value hasn't been destroyed. Resale contract prices haven't dropped. DVC didn't handle the initial closures well at all, but they have put policies in place to help the owners. It's not a perfect situation, but it's far from destroying the value of DVC.

And they wouldnt have a problem bringing the masses to the parks if they werent conservative with their reopening strategy. Point is, no matter what happens, Disney will receive bad PR some way or another. So thinking theyre basing their decisions on how theyll be perceived is a non factor

I do think they care greatly on how they are perceived.

If UO is at first bringing their full timers back, and not the furloughed part timers back yet, what employment would be available at UO?

There are job openings now, not just at Universal. And they pay more than the nothing theyve received from unemployment

I just think some people are beginning to just not care about the risk as much as they use to. My 80 year old mother refuses to stay home anymore, and wants to take her chances. I try and change the mind, but its not possible. So I am not as sure if Disney would have pitchforks out considering anyone who goes, knows the risk and is taking the risk, being as safe as they can.

I also personally think Universal can't be compared to Disney. Disney is a much bigger property with many more hotels and activities, restaurants etc etc. Not to mention, I just think its much harder to restart Disney parks then universal parks. The guest experience is different. The cast members from all over the world and country. I just feel its a different ball game.

I wouldn't be shocked if Disney comes out with a date a few days from now. I did say yesterday though, they have to secretly want to reopen before the other one, even just by a week
I agree, I think a lot of people are just acting like the situation is over because they are sick of dealing with it. I hope we are on the downslope and the procedures put in place help to alleviate the risk. That also relies on people following those procedures. I'm not confident that is going to happen. I think Universal is in a better situation to open because it is largely a locals park. There's less risk of people coming from more infected areas and spreading the virus at the parks.

There are job openings now, not just at Universal. And they pay more than the nothing theyve received from unemployment

I doubt UO would be hiring if they haven't brought back their furloughed part time cm's yet, if that's the case (I know one part timer in city walk who hasn't been called back to work yet).

I do think they care greatly on how they are perceived.

Then why did they wait 4 days to close the parks after they announced the closures? They care a lot less than you think they do. Social media was filled with “Disney is trying to kill people with these crowds” on that Sunday night. You know how someone deals with that situation that cares as much as you think they do about their image would have done? Close the night that they announced the closure.

I doubt UO would be hiring if they haven't brought back their furloughed part time cm's yet, if that's the case (I know one part timer in city walk who hasn't been called back to work yet).

Read the first sentence again.

“Not just Universal”

I guess I can see some of the delay with Disney because all their resorts are owned by them (the idea of reopening all those resorts gives me a headache). Universal resorts are owned by Loews and essentially a separate entity. I’m sure Loews coordinates with Universal, but they are still responsible for their own brand. I will say the older I get the less I want to commando through theme parks and find the on site universal resorts much more relaxing. Plus, it probably sounds ridiculous, but the bar comes to your pool chair. Haha!

Also, I still like the Disney parks more but you really can’t compare them to Universal. They aren’t the same and it’s not a bad thing.

Then why did they wait 4 days to close the parks after they announced the closures? They care a lot less than you think they do. Social media was filled with “Disney is trying to kill people with these crowds” on that Sunday night. You know how someone deals with that situation that cares as much as you think they do about their image would have done? Close the night that they announced the closure.

I don't think that proves anything. A company that prides themselves on the utmost excellence in guest experience is going to care how they are perceived. I'd argue it's a smarter move to let the much smaller UO go first as the guinea pig, and then go from there.

If there winds up being a flood of resale contracts from members angry that Disney took their time and gave thoughtful consideration to a reopening plan and date, I look forward to buying their contracts at a discount.
I’m sorry, but I don’t think it’s b/c they’re being careful b/c they care so much about the health & well-being of staff & guests. I think this is all about $$, PR & politics.

Read the first sentence again.

“Not just Universal”

Is there any evidence that most Disney CM's haven't gotten unemployment yet? And who's to say one would want to leave their job at WDW for a job with less benefits, and lose their seniority?

The Universal job openings you see on their site were there before they closed. Nothing new has opened up, I'm unemployed and I'm checking both properties everyday. My merch manager has been told to be ready to start working next week at IOA, (she been getting paid 80% of her paycheck cause she's full time) my character friend who is pt and furloughed has not been called or received any type of messaging yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter