Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Disney opened tomorrow, people would be there and people would say its too soon to open

If Disney opened on Jan 1st, 2021 people would be there and people would say its too soon to open

Then what are you arguing about? Are you mad because you think they should be opened already or are you mad because they are waiting?

I'm confused.

Is there any evidence that most Disney CM's haven't gotten unemployment yet? And who's to say one would want to leave their job at WDW for a job with less benefits, and lose their seniority?
just google Disney CM furloghed not getting paid and you'll get your answer. Some heartbreaking stories too. People have started a CM pantry to help those CM who don't have enough money to buy food https://www.facebook.com/castmemberpantry/

I don't think that proves anything. A company that prides themselves on the utmost excellence in guest experience is going to care how they are perceived. I'd argue it's a smarter move to let the much smaller UO go first as the guinea pig, and then go from there.

And thats what theyre doing. But its not because they dont want people to talk poorly about them, its because theyre just not ready to open yet, Universal is. Doesnt mean Disney wont announce next week their opening plans

just google Disney CM furloghed not getting paid and you'll get your answer. Some heartbreaking stories too. People have started a CM pantry to help those CM who don't have enough money to buy food

I mean the furloughed CM's I know haven gotten their unemployment, and some others are in fact still pending, even though they have all their info up to date.

And thats what theyre doing. But its not because they dont want people to talk poorly about them, its because theyre just not ready to open yet, Universal is. Doesnt mean Disney wont announce next week their opening plans

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But I doubt UO opening first is a factor in their plans in the slightest.

Then what are you arguing about? Are you mad because you think they should be opened already or are you mad because they are waiting?

I'm confused.

I’m not arguing, and I’m not mad. I know theyre not basing their decision on how they’ll be perceived

Universal is much easier to plan for and I think that Universal's top rides are generally better as a group than those of Disney. If Universal had better dining options (I'm not a huge fan of their dining) then we might do a Universal-only trip anyway. I suspect next trip -- probably in 2021 since there's going to be another virus surge in the fall -- we'll split our time equally between the two, whereas in the past it was usually 80% of the time at Disney. But that has nothing to do with how Disney has handled the pandemic response, since I think they've been spot on.
Ok fine but when there are multiple reports of trips cancelled by Disney today & a DVC owner calls to see if they will be closed for her dates 6/8-6/12 b/c she hasn’t officially been sent an email & CMs she talks to have no clue, that’s not acceptable imo. That’s the kinda stuff I’m talking about.

Just with how slow they’re moving on the Springs side. Opened non-Disney stuff yesterday. 2 Disney stores and D-luxe burger this coming Wednesday. Waiting an entire week just to open 3 locations. Disney will want to err on the side of caution.
It’s a lot to balance...

Their tenants are going to be screaming even louder than they are now (I’m assuming since many commercial tenants are) for rent reductions if they see businesses picking up in CityWalk while they whither in DS. The novelty of DS opening again will wear off quick to the locals...

I’m sorry, but I don’t think it’s b/c they’re being careful b/c they care so much about the health & well-being of staff & guests. I think this is all about $$, PR & politics.

My husband said this exact thing today. I just can not imagine what is going on behind the scenes.

I also think if Disney cared so much about their cast members they would pay them more than minimum wage. If I had to pick one bone with them, it would be how they pay (or not pay) their employees. It is not the greatest company to work for but some of the people who work there are wonderful.

I don’t want to start a debate about pay but it really breaks my heart to see these people who live paycheck to paycheck starving right now. It’s just not right.

The Universal job openings you see on their site were there before they closed. Nothing new has opened up, I'm unemployed and I'm checking both properties everyday. My merch manager has been told to be ready to start working next week at IOA, (she been getting paid 80% of her paycheck cause she's full time) my character friend who is pt and furloughed has not been called or received any type of messaging yet

I didnt say theyd go to universal to get a job. There are more places that employ and pay people in Florida than the theme parks. I said places in florida are hiring, “not just universal”. Meaning if Disney says theyre not deciding any time soon, their employees might say, well ok, ill find another job that pays.

My husband said this exact thing today. I just can not imagine what is going on behind the scenes.

I also think if Disney cared so much about their cast members they would pay them more than minimum wage. If I had to pick one bone with them, it would be how they pay (or not pay) their employees. It is not the greatest company to work for.

They do.

I didnt say theyd go to universal to get a job. There are more places that employ and pay people in Florida than the theme parks. I said places in florida are hiring, “not just universal”. Meaning if Disney says theyre not deciding any time soon, their employees might say, well ok, ill find another job that pays.

Or, they just find a job in the mean time (assuming they aren't getting unemployment), and then go back to WDW once they are called back. Doesn't mean they have to just flat out leave the company.

Not true. Small world is a cruel and unusual form of punishment and I’d rather be in quarantine for 8 more years than ride that again, and I will die on this hill.
Completely agreed as someone who was stuck on it for 45 mins once during an after hours and still has nightmares. FYI, the music on repeat is super annoying but it beats out the creepy “clicking” when it stops 😬

Last edited:

I also think if Disney cared so much about their cast members they would pay them more than minimum wage. If I had to pick one bone with them, it would be how they pay (or not pay) their employees. It is not the greatest company to work for but some of the people who work there are wonderful.

I don’t want to start a debate about pay but it really breaks my heart to see these people who live paycheck to paycheck starving right now. It’s just not right.
this is one of those things that someone says and then it blows up. Currently Disney is paying $13 entry level with the union guaranteeing the pay will go up to $15 next year.
Entry level at Publix? $10, any fast food place? $9.5
Not only that CM are now able to go to college on Disney's pocket. My DD is getting her AA (she's 19) and can continue with higher learning and Disney through the Aspire program pays for her tuition and books. They also get really good health insurance benefits
Not saying the pay can't be better, but it is definitely higher than most entry level positions

the base Disney hourly pay rate will be $15 an hour in 2021, well above the Florida minimum wage.

I think Disney offered a promotion for a timeframe when they thought for sure that they would be open. Did anyone here think back in mid-March that things would be largely shut down in the US for two months straight? I know I didn't.

Now that Disney is having to cancel reservations, I think they don't want to repeat their mistake. I think they'll announce something once they re-open the parks and they are sure that they won't have to close them again due to another outbreak. What do you want them to do? They could offer another promotion, but be closed during that timeframe as well. This is a very dynamic situation and I think we all need to be patient.
I totally agree with you, putting out that offer was a mistake, and I get that they don't want to repeat it. Now, only because you asked: I would like an all expenses paid vacation to WDW with private tours, walk on rides, etc :rotfl2: All in good jest. In all seriousness, something to the effect of an email stating "hey, were sorry you have been cancelled again. When we have a more formal date, you will receive an email from us with any offer details. Hang tight". Just my thoughts.

Or, they just find a job in the mean time (assuming they aren't getting unemployment), and then go back to WDW once they are called back. Doesn't mean they have to just flat out leave the company.

It really depends how they’ve been treated throughout these closures. If Universal is treating their employees better, then they might jump ship and apply to Universal once new positions post.

It really depends how they’ve been treated throughout these closures. If Universal is treating their employees better, then they might jump ship and apply to Universal once new positions post.

maybe some of the newer CM's, or part timers without much seniority. I can't see a full timer with seniority leaving just like that to another company, but who knows. I just don't think a few weeks or even a month longer closure will cause a giant exodus of Disney CM's to go to UO, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter