Current CM.. Any Questions?

Would you watch a vlog about life as a Disney performer at sea?

• Yes

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes I have seen it happen to a lot of people. It happened to me when I was in other roles and I don’t think I would still be here if I wasn’t in entertainment
This, absolutely!
There's a weird thing where you can keep going by feeding off the energy of something as simple as people freaking out and getting excited just to see you step out, let alone getting applause so that's nice, but it's also a strange feeling when the same people who eagerly wanted to hug you are the same ones who will cuss you out *as a person for cutting a line for a set.

I had one Character Manager repeat to our cast that "This isn't about you. They're not here to see you but what you represent/who you portray." Which I totally get, but that made me also kinda feel dead inside lol 😬

Not all roles at Disney are with characters or Guests or even onstage. The “magic” is not so magical backstage lol. My experience of being a CM has been fun and exciting and magical most of the time but there have definitely been things I have had to do that were not so great. At times it has been hard work and long hours and many months away from family and friends. But now I look forward to meeting the Guests and seeing how happy this makes them and it reminds me that I love my role 💙
Is it the same at Disney world?

The perception of being a CM does not in most cases match the reality. It’s like most other jobs, it has its pros and cons. The number of CMs that have a position that comes close to the perception is tiny.

As an event guide I had a very weird schedule. I could be anywhere at WDW ranging from early morning to past midnight. Some shifts were boring some were a lot of fun. I could be indoors or outdoors in the rain or sun, with temperatures from the teens to the mid 90s. So because of all those variables it couldn’t be fun and exciting all the time.

But in spite of all that I enjoyed being a CM and sad that it had to come to an end.
I guess being a character is considered like the top job in regards to the magic?

This, absolutely!
There's a weird thing where you can keep going by feeding off the energy of something as simple as people freaking out and getting excited just to see you step out, let alone getting applause so that's nice, but it's also a strange feeling when the same people who eagerly wanted to hug you are the same ones who will cuss you out *as a person for cutting a line for a set.

I had one Character Manager repeat to our cast that "This isn't about you. They're not here to see you but what you represent/who you portray." Which I totally get, but that made me also kinda feel dead inside lol 😬
I can only imagine what it would feel like to walk out dressed as a beloved character and feel the emotion and love from everyone around you. It must be addictive

What is earning my ears? And what are service pins for?
It’s the red ribbon that’s attached to the bottom of some CM’s name tags while they’re learning their role. I’m sure you’ve seen them. It says “Earning my ears” IE “I’m training”.

Service pins are the small bronze pins that some CMs have on their name tags. They get one after their first year and every five years after that. They’re all different.

My avatar is a 10 year service pin.

Last edited:
I guess being a character is considered like the top job in regards to the magic?
I’m going to have to disagree.

There’s a place very close to WDW both in location and emotionally called Give Kids the World Village. Disney helped build it, helps staff it and donates more than any other company.

IMO, working, appearing there, which a lot of Disney characters have, or volunteering there is where magic really happens to everyone involved.

Check it out, you’ll be amazed at what they do. And of course, if you can, donate.

Disney had, and probably still does, have a program called “Volunt-ears” where CMs can volunteer.

And speaking of service pins, I’m very proud of my ten year service pin I received from them.

Last edited:
I’m going to have to disagree.

There’s a place very close to WDW both in location and emotionally called Give Kids the World Village. Disney helped build it, helps staff it and donates more than any other company.

IMO, working, appearing there, which a lot of Disney characters have, or volunteering there is where magic really happens to everyone involved.

Check it out, you’ll be amazed at what they do. And of course, if you can, donate.

Disney had, and probably still does, have a program called “Volunt-ears” where CMs can volunteer.

And speaking of service pins, I’m very proud of my ten year service pin I received from them.
I’ve seen many people post about the Ten Year service pin.

I saw two crew members get rewarded with the Blue Name tag as well. Can’t remember what that’s for now. Though I did hear

This, absolutely!

Well there is some sort of truth in it. I mean there is no magic without people making the magic and it is YOUR acts that will make the memory and impact. On the other hand the size of the impact is made because of the character you portray; both in good and bad ways. I used to be a dlp cm and I still go there very often. Their 30th anniv show allows for close up guest interaction and it breaks my heart to see that a lot of the performers tend to go over and over to the same people: their friends, APs or social influencers. I feel bad for all those guests that saved up for this once in a lifetime visit and dont get that hug of high five of that character they love. I once saw Miguzl being all over a group of his friends at 3 occasions during the same performance while a little boy on red sweater and jeans holding a dante RIGHT next to these folks was entirely ignored. I fell so so bad….

I can only imagine what it would feel like to walk out dressed as a beloved character and feel the emotion and love from everyone around you. It must be addictive
Thats the magical side. On the ships its slightly better than the parks I guess but besides all the people that are happy and appreciative you will also run into those guests that treat you like an object, dont know how to say hi or thank you, will demand whatever they want or even worde get physical abusive

The important thing to remember is that Disney Cruise Line guests are a very specific subset of Disney Guests in general: willing to spend more money for an experience available to a select few but also with the expectation that this cruise on the same ship will likely be a very similar set of events and entertainment that they're absolutely ok with. For us on board is so much more of a Groundhog Day effect that we work under, repeat cruisers and Castaway Club members love this consistency (some will go to the same trivia again on a back to back cruise and memorize the answers but pretend they don't know it; some will go back to the same characters just to say the same things again just to get the photo again but in another outfit or even "test" us to see if we remember them and obviously we'll always say yes)

In this way cruise guests tend to have less bad behavior to the characters because it's still a bit of a premium product for some, but with that also comes a higher level of expectation just because they've paid that much 😩 so one visit to Guest Services because a certain family is running late to a set could mean you're just not eating lunch that day

I saw two crew members get rewarded with the Blue Name tag as well. Can’t remember what that’s for now. Though I did hear
  • The Walt Disney Legacy Award is the highest honor any cast member, Disney Imagineer, crew member or employee can receive. A finite number of recipients are nominated and selected annually for their incredible abilities to “Dream, Create & Inspire,” as Walt Disney himself did, in their respective roles across various company segments.
Disney cast members, Imagineers, crew members and employees nominated by their peers and screened by upper management for award. Limited number each year.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-need-to-know-about-the-blue-legacy-name-tag/

The important thing to remember is that Disney Cruise Line guests are a very specific subset of Disney Guests in general: willing to spend more money for an experience available to a select few but also with the expectation that this cruise on the same ship will likely be a very similar set of events and entertainment that they're absolutely ok with. For us on board is so much more of a Groundhog Day effect that we work under, repeat cruisers and Castaway Club members love this consistency (some will go to the same trivia again on a back to back cruise and memorize the answers but pretend they don't know it; some will go back to the same characters just to say the same things again just to get the photo again but in another outfit or even "test" us to see if we remember them and obviously we'll always say yes)

In this way cruise guests tend to have less bad behavior to the characters because it's still a bit of a premium product for some, but with that also comes a higher level of expectation just because they've paid that much 😩 so one visit to Guest Services because a certain family is running late to a set could mean you're just not eating lunch that day
Since covid I feel the type of guests on the ship has changed.. a lot… lots of firsttimers with an even bigger entitlement t than any repeat cruiser… i also feel like dcl seems to care less and less about consistency as far as offerings: my friends were on the Magic two weeks ago and no set with chipmu ks in their 25th, and only til we meet again for Daisy. I had sort of the same experience with mdas Goofy had no official set in his marvel outfit just a short pop up meet. A lot of the special things like pj goofy, running goofy, tracksuit mickey, golfing Goofy and Max have all been discontinued same as some of the cruisespecific outfits like alaskan lu ks, soabish Mickey, spanish daisy, french Minnie, french Daisy,… also the cutting off lines at 15 min into the set is not longer a guaranteed thing.

Btw im one of those people that will go to each and every set. I cruise for characters. If things arent offered on a specific cruise I do get upset… of course not with the cast but if I do a MdAS cruise its with the intention of getting all 8 characters in that outfit and not to leave with one missing. Chipmunks are my favorite and I totally get the operational challenge on dcl to have them out a lot… but that isnt the -guests problem- after 25 cryises I ve learned the hard way and def have my expectations set more realistic but it is def weird to not have everyone out on the outfits that are seasonal/specific liek what my friends had on their silver anniversary sailing… im doing the TA on the Dream so I am assuming I ll be good to catch all 8 lol

Or when a character has no scheduled set in a particular outfit, only a stroll and decides to spend the entire set in the nursery… sigh… #disappointed

This, absolutely!

Yes!!!! And I will add the difference in vibe between a face and fur set is definitely a thing.
Oh they say that kind of stuff all the time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter