Current CM.. Any Questions?

Would you watch a vlog about life as a Disney performer at sea?

• Yes

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since covid I feel the type of guests on the ship has changed.. a lot… lots of firsttimers with an even bigger entitlement t than any repeat cruiser… i also feel like dcl seems to care less and less about consistency as far as offerings: my friends were on the Magic two weeks ago and no set with chipmu ks in their 25th, and only til we meet again for Daisy. I had sort of the same experience with mdas Goofy had no official set in his marvel outfit just a short pop up meet. A lot of the special things like pj goofy, running goofy, tracksuit mickey, golfing Goofy and Max have all been discontinued same as some of the cruisespecific outfits like alaskan lu ks, soabish Mickey, spanish daisy, french Minnie, french Daisy,… also the cutting off lines at 15 min into the set is not longer a guaranteed thing.

Btw im one of those people that will go to each and every set. I cruise for characters. If things arent offered on a specific cruise I do get upset… of course not with the cast but if I do a MdAS cruise its with the intention of getting all 8 characters in that outfit and not to leave with one missing. Chipmunks are my favorite and I totally get the operational challenge on dcl to have them out a lot… but that isnt the -guests problem- after 25 cryises I ve learned the hard way and def have my expectations set more realistic but it is def weird to not have everyone out on the outfits that are seasonal/specific liek what my friends had on their silver anniversary sailing… im doing the TA on the Dream so I am assuming I ll be good to catch all 8 lol
I’m sorry this happened. I’m trying to remember 2 weeks ago but can barely remember what happened yesterday. Some of the Cast have been sick or injured so maybe that was the reason

I’m sorry this happened. I’m trying to remember 2 weeks ago but can barely remember what happened yesterday. Some of the Cast have been sick or injured so maybe that was the reason
I believe it was the double dip. They ended up going on the wish this week just to complete the collection… expensive collection lol

@FastPasser. I do agree it is a learned ability to find a little place to put any not so great interactions in order to keep that smile on and ensure the next Guest has a magical experience

Spending time in the nursery is fun!
I do understand how you feel though
I understand the nursery is gun and its more than fine if some time is spent there but just not the entire stroll and def not the entire steoll if its the only appearance of that particular character that night.
And thats just one of the things Infeel like sometimes get forgotten that for guests it is there one and only opportunity and/or something that was saved up hard for or looking forward to for a long time and even though for the cast/mgr it might be a oh well we disnt have it that one cruise for a guest it can be a huge missout. And some char mgrs try to go out there way to make things happen if they notice they have an impact but others are hiding with the -subject to change- phrase if it doesnt involve a crying child

The important thing to remember is that Disney Cruise Line guests are a very specific subset of Disney Guests in general: willing to spend more money for an experience available to a select few but also with the expectation that this cruise on the same ship will likely be a very similar set of events and entertainment that they're absolutely ok with. For us on board is so much more of a Groundhog Day effect that we work under, repeat cruisers and Castaway Club members love this consistency (some will go to the same trivia again on a back to back cruise and memorize the answers but pretend they don't know it; some will go back to the same characters just to say the same things again just to get the photo again but in another outfit or even "test" us to see if we remember them and obviously we'll always say yes)

In this way cruise guests tend to have less bad behavior to the characters because it's still a bit of a premium product for some, but with that also comes a higher level of expectation just because they've paid that much 😩 so one visit to Guest Services because a certain family is running late to a set could mean you're just not eating lunch that day

lol at the Trivia. I did a back-2-back a few times and well played the same trivia. I rememberd a few answers, but not all guess I'm not playing right lol and I dod meet some characters over, but different interactions each time.

lol at the Trivia. I did a back-2-back a few times and well played the same trivia. I rememberd a few answers, but not all guess I'm not playing right lol and I dod meet some characters over, but different interactions each time.
I do like it when people come and see a character many times because they genuinely want to and love the character. It’s the ones who do it for the wrong reasons that can cause some problems

I understand the nursery is gun and its more than fine if some time is spent there but just not the entire stroll and def not the entire steoll if its the only appearance of that particular character that night.
And thats just one of the things Infeel like sometimes get forgotten that for guests it is there one and only opportunity and/or something that was saved up hard for or looking forward to for a long time and even though for the cast/mgr it might be a oh well we disnt have it that one cruise for a guest it can be a huge missout. And some char mgrs try to go out there way to make things happen if they notice they have an impact but others are hiding with the -subject to change- phrase if it doesnt involve a crying child
Obviously any character is subject to change at any time for a variety of reasons but I do understand that it is disappointing for the Guest

The current Cast keeps on performing their regular schedule of shows, meet and greets and other duties. The new Cast is rehearsing, getting a feel for performing on a moving ship etc
this is interesting to learn. I've been on a few cruises when cast is changing or getting off. I also have been on a cruise where a CD changes and many when cruise staff goes on vacation its fun to see and learn IMO

I do like it when people come and see a character many times because they genuinely want to and love the character. It’s the ones who do it for the wrong reasons that can cause some problems
Yeah I don't do it for wrong reasons. I do it because I enjoy it. I was sort of disappointed I didn't meet Chip and Dale on Wish. I was at Mixology on the 3 night at that time and Palo the second cruise, but I've been enough and will see them again on my next cruise.

Favorite was recognizing after about Spider-man and then Goofy when I was wearing my Chiefs Jersey shirt. Great interactions

Obviously any character is subject to change at any time for a variety of reasons but I do understand that it is disappointing for the Guest
Exactly and I will express my disappontment on those cases to those who could possibly see if there is anything that can be done to have them out later on in the cruise or whatever and if they cant they cant. But unfortunately I also had an experience with a manager basically just laughing in my face and telling me -oh they are out today, but you wont see them cause its in the crew area-
But there has luckily been more of the hoof than the ugly ;-) but when I was mentioning my concerns of Oanama with a tiny cast then it comes from my experience with a two week cruise with 3 chip and dale meets but Goofy 5 times a day ;-)

Btw I know that it sort of sounds like Im one of those -camping out at gr to complain- people. Its not the case. Im just one of those people that cruises for characters and happen to have favorite characters that are the hardest to come around a cruise. I love all the characters and just get disappointed if Im missing out on stuff that isnt there or whatever. Im beyond grateful of what 95 percent cast and managers have done for me and tes I ve had a few really bad experiences with the mgr I mentioned before and a cast that gave me the -oh you again, why- attrude after a few days vut luckily that has been the exception. Im one of these people that cruises a first time with a partixular cast, likes thzm and then returns two times before the contract is over. Did that last year over the Summer on the Magic and then over the Winter on the Fantasy hahaha

Exactly and I will express my disappontment on those cases to those who could possibly see if there is anything that can be done to have them out later on in the cruise or whatever and if they cant they cant. But unfortunately I also had an experience with a manager basically just laughing in my face and telling me -oh they are out today, but you wont see them cause its in the crew area-
But there has luckily been more of the hoof than the ugly ;-) but when I was mentioning my concerns of Oanama with a tiny cast then it comes from my experience with a two week cruise with 3 chip and dale meets but Goofy 5 times a day ;-)
I am sorry you had this experience with a Manager. That should not have happened. As you are a former CM, I am sure you have an understanding of the different characters performers of different heights play. This can have an impact on scheduling for certain characters, especially if there are issues such as illness or injury.
They do sometimes have meet and greets for Crew only. But this is not usually instead of one for Guests

Btw I know that it sort of sounds like Im one of those -camping out at gr to complain- people. Its not the case. Im just one of those people that cruises for characters and happen to have favorite characters that are the hardest to come around a cruise. I love all the characters and just get disappointed if Im missing out on stuff that isnt there or whatever. Im beyond grateful of what 95 percent cast and managers have done for me and tes I ve had a few really bad experiences with the mgr I mentioned before and a cast that gave me the -oh you again, why- attrude after a few days vut luckily that has been the exception. Im one of these people that cruises a first time with a partixular cast, likes thzm and then returns two times before the contract is over. Did that last year over the Summer on the Magic and then over the Winter on the Fantasy hahaha
You do you!! I love that there are people who love the characters so much 💙

I am sorry you had this experience with a Manager. That should not have happened. As you are a former CM, I am sure you have an understanding of the different characters performers of different heights play. This can have an impact on scheduling for certain characters, especially if there are issues such as illness or injury.
They do sometimes have meet and greets for Crew only. But this is not usually instead of one for Guests
Exactly and I also get it that the smaller your cast (ship vs park, classics vs the other ships) you are more sensitive to theze things that cam impact scheduling and appearances.
And not gonna lie, that cruise caused me not to cruise for 5y at a certain point. Each time Id book and the closer it would come the more scared id get that person would be onboard and cancel again lol.
Im not american so my English isnt perfect, Im usually travelling solo and I go through every characterline. Im the -odd- person and I ve had fellow guests commznting on it. Not all too good for selfconfidence. So thats one of the things If I like a particular cast and feel like they understand what I like and how I like it, it is just -easy- to cruise again cause we can skip the first two dats of me apologising for shoIng up again and being sort of scared in each line as to how the meet wil go

Exactly and I also get it that the smaller your cast (ship vs park, classics vs the other ships) you are more sensitive to theze things that cam impact scheduling and appearances.
And not gonna lie, that cruise caused me not to cruise for 5y at a certain point. Each time Id book and the closer it would come the more scared id get that person would be onboard and cancel again lol.
Im not american so my English isnt perfect, Im usually travelling solo and I go through every characterline. Im the -odd- person and I ve had fellow guests commznting on it. Not all too good for selfconfidence. So thats one of the things If I like a particular cast and feel like they understand what I like and how I like it, it is just -easy- to cruise again cause we can skip the first two dats of me apologising for shoIng up again and being sort of scared in each line as to how the meet wil go
People can be so rude! Cinderella would wish that everyone could be a little kinder to each other.
Oh my gosh I am so so sorry you feel this way when meeting characters! There should never be any judgement because an adult loves characters. I know so many people (myself included) who go crazy in the parks. I really hope you have a magical cruise the next time you sail with us! 💙

Last edited:
@Chipmunkmaniac i do understand how you feel when other Guests make comment. When I was in another role on the ship, it was my time off and I was in line to meet Anna and Elsa with some fellow CMs. One of the Guests recognized us and told us we should not be in line. When we asked why not, she replied that we worked there and knew the actual people playing the characters and we should not be excited, and that we were taking up time from paying Guests. We were soooo excited to meet Anna and Elsa (and yes I have been friends with Anna) but the continual stares from this Guest and others that had heard what she said kinda ruined it for us

Last edited:

We can definitely tell those braided pigtails right away!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter