Currently book at Grand California CL, would DLH be better?

Currently book at Grand California CL, would DLH be better?

• Stay at Grand California CL

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Change to DLH CL

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canto

Earning My Ears
As the title says, we are currently booked at Disney Grand California Club level for our up coming trip this summer. There will be 4 of us which includes two children ages 11 and 8 years old. We will be there 5 nights with 5 day park hopper tickets. This will be our first and likely only, for a long time, time visiting Disneyland. I was completely happy with our hotel decision until I started reading that the pool area at the DLH might be more appropriate/fun for kids then the pool area at the Grand, so now I’m rethinking our choice. We don’t have a specific plan to hang out at the pool, but of course, kids being kids, they’ll probably want to go to the pool area during our trip.

My question to the group, and those who may have been to both in the recent past, if money wasn’t a concern, which would be the better choose.?

I think DLH is more magical for kids that age. Between the pool, the light up headboards and all the other Disney touches in the room, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with DLH. They also have a very nice concierge lounge.

My kids have loved the GCH since they were toddlers. While the DLH pool is "fun", it's also significantly smaller than the 3 POOLS at GCH. It gets impossibly crowded in the summer, and there is a massive construction job going on at DLH that is seen and heard from the pool deck.

GCH CL is sublime. Keep that reservation! We will be doing that for our annual 4th of July staycation.

DLH is cute, though. Go visit to look around the lobby and grab a Dole whip with Rum from the outdoor bar.

My kids have loved the GCH since they were toddlers. While the DLH pool is "fun", it's also significantly smaller than the 3 POOLS at GCH. It gets impossibly crowded in the summer, and there is a massive construction job going on at DLH that is seen and heard from the pool deck.

GCH CL is sublime. Keep that reservation! We will be doing that for our annual 4th of July staycation.

DLH is cute, though. Go visit to look around the lobby and grab a Dole whip with Rum from the outdoor bar.

In my opinion, both the pools are impossibly crowded during the summertime. That’s why we always get a cabana. I don’t think the GCH pools are significantly bigger than the DLH pools if you include the water slide pool. My daughter has the opposite opinion of the GCH and DLH pools. She is almost 15 and still loves the DLH pools and thinks the GCH pools are “boring”. Granted, she never complains when she is actually at the pool, it’s just the opinion she expresses when deciding between hotels.

I think the Disneyland hotel is more of a classic, and it's very special. The headboards are so sweet! I'd normally say move to DLH, but with the construction this year you may be better off staying with Grand Californian. I've been reading about the resort hotels (we're doing a split stay with both and have done DLH in the past) and everyone just raves about Grand Californian, especially club level. I think the pools are wonderful at both hotels. Good luck with your choice! I think you'll be happy with either one :)

GCH has its own entrance to DCA and is steps away from the entrance to DL. When you need to take a break from the parks, the hotel is right there. No long walk necessary. You - and especially your kids - will appreciate this beautiful hotel and its unique location.

We had lunch yesterday at Trader Sam’s and while waiting for our table to be called we were looking at the pool area at DLH. They’re currently building a new tower and construction was in full swing including a very large crane and all just steps away from the pool area with the large slides. I suggest staying with GCH. The construction would keep me away plus I think GCH has a nicer pool area.

Definitely GCH. My girls loved it at your kids' ages, and while DLH is great, now is not the best time to stay there IMO due to the construction. Yeah, the headboards are cute, but my girls made it through one play of the song and never turned it on again. It's a cute gimmick, but really, that's all it is. There is so much more around GCH right now when it comes to dining and shopping, and as so many have mentioned, the proximity to the parks can't be beat.

I also love the central lobby at GCH, which is the heart of the hotel and really gives you access to almost everything. DLH doesn't really have a lobby of any note.

Best of all, the CL at GCH is wonderful!! DLH club is nice as well, but I think GCH is better, though disclaimer here: I haven't been to either in a few years.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I’m thinking we’ll go ahead stay with the GCH and maybe change our thought about going again sooner than later to try the DLH hopefully when no construction is taking place. 🙂

Grand Californian is more luxurious and closer to the parks. The Disneyland Hotel has much better Disney theming and a pool that is more fun. I'd recommend the Disneyland Hotel as the Grand Californian doesn't seem worth it to me when I could get luxury for a fraction of the price at the Westin or JW Marriott. I have not been inside the club lounge of either hotel though.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I’m thinking we’ll go ahead stay with the GCH and maybe change our thought about going again sooner than later to try the DLH hopefully when no construction is taking place. 🙂
Yeah the construction kills it for me. I don’t wanna layout at a pool with construction noises.

GCH CL is lovely! And you can watch the monorail go through the hotel off the CL patio so kids should like that!

Our kids love the pools at the GCH - a couple of times we have rented a cabana at the DLH if we wanted to have an afternoon over there which has been a lot of fun too.

We've stayed at the DLH a couple of times and it has been great: especially when we splurged and had a suite. But honestly I still prefer the GCH overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter