D23 Expo 2019 (First page with major info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my bigger issue is that D23 has really all been D+ so far when it comes to official announcements. There is all the parks information still coming and nothing on theatre releases.

Friday was the Disney+ panel so of course it’s going to be all Disney+ stuff. Today is the movies panel so that will be all the big news today. Tomorrow is parks and resorts.

As for the secret project. Yes it’s disappointing that is all it was but anyone hyped for something big wasn’t paying attention. On here and every Disney blog site they have been saying it’s not going to be something big. It was a WDC project not a parks project. It’s panel is in the smallest room at the center. If this was going to be a 5th gate or a new land, it would be announced at the parks and resorts panel.

Yes it’s disappointing that is all it was but anyone hyped for something big wasn’t paying attention. On here and every Disney blog site they have been saying it’s not going to be something big. It was a WDC project not a parks project.

I wasn't expecting a new park or even anything with the parks being the secret. I was just thinking it would be something worth hiding.

Even Rhino said on stream said he laughed when he found out. I was watch Cory live stream when the news dropped and he thought someone was playing a joke.

I would bet almost every reveal this weekend will be bigger news than that.

Because 10 years ago I got Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Fox, and Lucas Arts all producing great content. These days it seems Disney will drop $200m in Star Wars, $100m in Marvel, and $1m in Disney animation.

I just look at all the money they are investing and get sad more isnt going to Pixar and the animation studios.

not sure I get the comment about the $, i mean, some of their biggest budget are the animated ones - or are you just thinking of Disney+ original content? There I agree the big budget stuff is the live action Star Wars/Marvel stuff

Fingers crossed that its actually good family/kid content and there is more unannounced stuff.

I just need to not get down because I was expecting Disney Plus to be a huge disappointment. They are playing in to the group who consumers who they can steal money from. I think my bigger issue is that D23 has really all been D+ so far when it comes to official announcements. There is all the parks information still coming and nothing on theatre releases.

I think the "secret project" has set a largely negative mood to D23 in general for me. Its a cool idea but not anything I would even expect them to announce before it was just released.

If you are just looking for original Disney animation and thinking that is was the Disney fan wants, then I guess I get your point, but to me Disney is so much more than that - even when Walt was around. To me it is more about using technology to bring new forms of entertainment for the entire family - and I think Disney+ will do this. There are a lot of shows for the whole family - from The World According to Jeff Goldblum to the Imagineering project to Be Our Chef to Diary of a Female President to Stargirl to Shop Class to Noelle to Forky Asks a Question to Monsters at Work to Spark Shorts to Lamp Life to Phineas and Ferb (those last five are all animated), etc.

As to the "secret project", I am not sure what you were expecting, but the schedule slot for it was for neither of their largest stages/halls so to be honest, what we got was about the level of what I was expecting. If they were going to announce 5th park or something it would not be on a side stage

Last thing, you also have to keep in mind this is basically like a Comic Con and the people there, especially in the room, want to see the stars, and for Disney+ that means the Marvel and Star Wars shows that they can trot out the celebrities for and get all the screams in the room - heck, that is one of the main reasons they old D23 in California, to get the celebrities - so it is going to be tilted a bit in that direction

Hopefully the rest of the panels highlight more of what you want - I am cautiously optimistic even with just what they have announced for EPCOT - the redo to the Future World area is going to be sooooo much better than the rotting corpse of Inoventions (which smells like there are literal rotting corpses underneath it currently)

I wasn't expecting a new park or even anything with the parks being the secret. I was just thinking it would be something worth hiding.

Even Rhino said on stream said he laughed when he found out. I was watch Cory live stream when the news dropped and he thought someone was playing a joke.

I would bet almost every reveal this weekend will be bigger news than that.

I thin it was treated as a "secret" because they worked on it in secret and even most of the CMs didn't realize about it or what it was for, etc.

I do think Disney probably shouldn't have teased it so much but they never said it was a big thing (and on the schedule it is not for either of the main stages so no way would it be something huge) ... and then DIS Twtitter ran with it and built it up to more than what was realistic, in my mind

I am here for the new Muppets shorts that have been announced for Disney Plus. While The Dark Crystal on the other service is a definite must watch - to have actual Muppet content on Disney Plus is a big win for me.

If they bring back The Jim Henson Hour, original Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock and the Wonderful World of Disney original episodes - I will go into a cave of hibernation furnished by Disney.

Fraggle Rock is available in its entirety on HBO, since it was an HBO production and still owned by the Jim Henson company. When it comes to Jim Henson stuff, Disney only owns exclusively the Muppets, so I’m really hopeful they put as much Muppet stuff on Disney+ as they can, including the original show.

Because it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but some of the Star Wars content IS for kids. The Clone Wars animated series is geared towards younger audiences.

But I do think Disney is trying to market + towards young adults and millennials. They are more likely to subscribe to streaming services, and if you get them subscribed right off the bat it’s easier to hold on to them as their families grow. But also my parents who are in their 60s love Star Wars and Marvel as well, so they will likely subscribe too. They have no need for kids shows anymore unless their grandkids are visiting (and honestly they avoid screen time with the grands).

I will say that I don’t expect anything earth shattering. For WDW, I think it will be most about the Epcot revamp and the touch ups at MK for the 50th. I think the biggest unknown is AK. Will we here about the rumored Dinoland redo?

You have to remember Disney has a ton of big expansions currently in the works. You have the Marvel expansions in three parks. You have the complete redo of Studios in Paris. People are going to be disappointed with the WDW announcements.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the ride systems for GOTG and Spider-Man.

Because it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but some of the Star Wars content IS for kids. The Clone Wars animated series is geared towards younger audiences.

But I do think Disney is trying to market + towards young adults and millennials. They are more likely to subscribe to streaming services, and if you get them subscribed right off the bat it’s easier to hold on to them as their families grow. But also my parents who are in their 60s love Star Wars and Marvel as well, so they will likely subscribe too. They have no need for kids shows anymore unless their grandkids are visiting (and honestly they avoid screen time with the grands).

Disney already has a ton of kids stuff for Disney+ between all the movies and Disney Channel shows. Kids don’t need high quality production to be hooked on a show. Their best kids shows on Disney+ wouldn’t move the needle at D23 but their target group would eat them up. There will be plenty of new original content for kids but nothing that needs an announcement to all the adults at D23.

Just want to note that Universal made a new park announcement on August 1, just over three weeks ago. Everything being announced this weekend has been carefully planned out for awhile and I don’t think Disney is rushing anything as a response to Universal.

Wean mcgregor wrapped it up. Boy is there a ton of content.

In the current 'in canon' comics taking place between 'A New Hope' and 'Empire', Luke went back to Tatooine and found Obi-Wan's diary and was using it to help him train in the force. They had few one-shot issues that told stories from the diary of Kenobi protecting Tatooine and Luke from afar as he grew up. For some reason the comics got away from those stories and that plot line a while back ... with the rumor starting up that it would be the basis for the Disney+ series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter