DAS pass with large family

mathhouse88

Earning My Ears
Hey there!

We're heading to WDW in May, and I'm planning to request a DAS pass for my 4yo son. However, our family unit = 8 people (the youngest is 2, so I guess that means we're 7 for the purposes of tickets, FPs, etc). I've read that the DAS pass is good for up 6 people...and also that they'll often add more for the sake of keeping the family together. So I'm mostly wondering what some of your experiences have been. Have you ever had DAS granted to 6+ people, and if so, have you had any issues getting the pass issued to all of you at the ride queue? This will probably only be an issue for a few rides because there won't be tons of especially popular rides that both my youngest and I (being pregnant) can ride with the rest of the group. But Peter Pan's Flight and Pirates come to mine.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

A few years ago I traveled with my cousin and her family. There were 7 of us in total. I had no issues at guest services and no issues at the rides. I had all of us linked in MDE prior so they could see everyone in our group, not sure but I think that helped.

I doubt they will give you any problems for an extra person. Once you are given the okay for 7 people at Guest Services when you request the DAS and their magic bands are scanned you will not have any issues at the rides. A return time is given automatically to every person attached to the DAS.

In addition to everyone else's experiences, my recollection is that for more than 5 people plus the DAS-holder, that everyone needs to be present at the time they're added.

A few years ago I traveled with my cousin and her family. There were 7 of us in total. I had no issues at guest services and no issues at the rides. I had all of us linked in MDE prior so they could see everyone in our group, not sure but I think that helped.

That's great! I'll definitely have us all linked in MDE. Thank you!

In addition to everyone else's experiences, my recollection is that for more than 5 people plus the DAS-holder, that everyone needs to be present at the time they're added.

That's what I've gathered also. We'll all be at City Hall in MK bright and early! :cool1:

I doubt they will give you any problems for an extra person. Once you are given the okay for 7 people at Guest Services when you request the DAS and their magic bands are scanned you will not have any issues at the rides. A return time is given automatically to every person attached to the DAS.

Thanks! I also read/watched somewhere that they set up the return time for your first ride right there at Guest Services. Do you know if that's the case? We're planning to arrive at MK before the opening show, so the Guest Services trip will be taking place before rides are even open (assuming GS will be open).

Yes they will set up the return time right there when you get it all done.

We had 11 last year and they were ok with that. We already had lots of Fastpasses so didn't use it too often but they did tell us that it was up to the ride to let us have it or not with that size.

We had 11 last year and they were ok with that. We already had lots of Fastpasses so didn't use it too often but they did tell us that it was up to the ride to let us have it or not with that size.

Gotcha! How do they set up a return time for a ride that doesn't yet have a wait? (Clearly I'm a hyper-planner and can't just wait to see for myself. Haha!)

Thanks! I also read/watched somewhere that they set up the return time for your first ride right there at Guest Services. Do you know if that's the case? We're planning to arrive at MK before the opening show, so the Guest Services trip will be taking place before rides are even open (assuming GS will be open).

They didn't for me, but YMMV. Also, it can take a bit of time to get a GAC first thing in the morning at MK. I suspect the park will be open before you're done!

We did this last year since my daughter's has ADHD and anxiety and it was generally a half hour to an hour (we only used on a couple high volume rides like FoP and Jungle Cruise). I think they do this to ensure people aren't just trying to "skip the line" as I am sure there are those out there lying to get this.

there is no limit as to who many can be linked to the DAS holder. They may limit the number that can go through with them at any line.

most of the time 1-2 extra won’t be an issue unless it’s a very crowded day( or line.. )

Yes, they can limit the number of guests allowed to get a specific return time to 6. For example, why would 11 people need to be out of the standby queue for 1 individual? There are very few rides where all 11 people will be in one ride vehicle, so getting on about 10 minutes apart (the DAS time is 10 minutes shorter than the standby time for some odd reason) isn't considered a hardship.

We did this last year since my daughter's has ADHD and anxiety and it was generally a half hour to an hour (we only used on a couple high volume rides like FoP and Jungle Cruise). I think they do this to ensure people aren't just trying to "skip the line" as I am sure there are those out there lying to get this.

What exactly was a half hour to an hour? The time you had to wait? If so, that would be the equivalent to the standby time when you asked for the DAS. There's no skipping of a line with the DAS, it just gives you am alternate place to wait. You're not getting on anything faster than the rest of the standby crowd.

Yes, they can limit the number of guests allowed to get a specific return time to 6. For example, why would 11 people need to be out of the standby queue for 1 individual? There are very few rides where all 11 people will be in one ride vehicle, so getting on about 10 minutes apart (the DAS time is 10 minutes shorter than the standby time for some odd reason) isn't considered a hardship.

What exactly was a half hour to an hour? The time you had to wait? If so, that would be the equivalent to the standby time when you asked for the DAS. There's no skipping of a line with the DAS, it just gives you am alternate place to wait. You're not getting on anything faster than the rest of the standby crowd.
Yes. The cast member will give you a time to enter the queue....they are basically giving you a fast pass for the future. Until then you can do whatever you want. We went to satuuli during during the DAS wait for FoP.

they may or may not set up a Return Time for your first attraction.
We’ve used DAS for our daughter since it started and I only remember one time where the CM set up a Return Time for us when we got DAS.
Experience on this board is mixed. Some have had their first time issued, some haven’t.

A total of 6 is the usual limit for the number of people who can be linked to a DAS.
But, the CMs can make exceptions for a higher number, although it may require approval by a lead or supervisor. I don’t expect much issue for 1 or 2 over, especially with multiple children. Just be prepared to explain briefly why you need the larger number.
I guess there are a number of ways to wait. Didnt know about the special area to wait.

This is a helpful link

https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disability-access-das-card/
Just to clarify, there are no special areas to wait except for a very few attractions - just 2 that I can think of offhand and they are for people with wheelchairs or other mobility devices who need to to wait somewhere else because they can’t use the Fastpass line (Spaceship Earth at Epcot has an area at the exit. Turtle Talk at Epcot has a separate waiting room, but I have only ever seen guests with wheelchairs or other mobility devices in it)

Once you have a Return Time, you can wait wherever you want or use the wait time to go on an attraction with short wait, use the restroom, eat, do medical treatment, etc.
Although it’s mostly good information, there are a couple of incorrect things in the link you posted.
- Special waiting area that I already mentioned. In most cases, you will need to find your own place to wait and will enter thru the Fastpass lines when the Return Time has come.
- the article says you will be given a Return Time for the first attraction when DAS is issued. That may or may not happen, it’s not universal
- the article says only the guest (or guardian) need to be present to have DAS issued, not the rest of the group. It says when DAS is issued the CM will ask how many guests are in the group. That is not correct and is probably something they forgot to edit from before DAS was digital and it was actually a printed card.
Besides the guest, at the very least you will need the Magicbands or park passes for each person in your group. It’s best to have the people with you; some people (Including my family) have had the Magicbands and were told the whole group must be present.
- the article lists the Guest Relations locations inside and outside the parks as places DAS can be issued. Important to be aware that a Guest Relations inside the park can issue DAS, but you may or may not be able to get it outside, especially if it’s very busy with guests trying to activate tickets or solve ticket issues.

This is a link to a FAQs thread about DAS from this board. The first post is kept up to date, but the rest is from just before and just after DAS began, so the only important post is the first one.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! I feel much more prepared to work with DAS now. So thankful this pass exists for guests with unique needs!

I'm glad you asked this! We've used DAS for years for my ASD son, but this is the first time we will be there with a total of 8 people in the party. As others have mentioned, I believe linking everyone isn't that much of an issue, but CMs at each attraction may keep the limit to 6 (also - this is not always in the control of the CMs so don't harass them over this. Sometimes it's locked in the iPad to 6., especially for the more popular attractions. So if they only add 6, don't have a fit) I doubt we will ever have all 8 on any one ride though as two are not thrill seekers and don't like the coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter