Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Seems that Disney have extended the closure until further notice for both parks and regular resorts.

Wonder when DVC will come with a statement.

Last edited:

why do they do this two weeks at a time?

The closure is further notice not 2 weeks. April 18th is related to CM pay, which one could interpret to mean they may try for April 19th, but they are no longer giving an opening date.

For me, as a renter, the problem is going to be availability. I rented a studio at the VGC for May and I assume there is no availability for the rest of the year, let alone with all of these canceled stays that have to be rescheduled. If I get credits it’ll be 2 years before I would actually be able to use them! I think it’ll be easier to reschedule at Disney World just because there are so many DVC resorts.

For me, as a renter, the problem is going to be availability. I rented a studio at the VGC for May and I assume there is no availability for the rest of the year, let alone with all of these canceled stays that have to be rescheduled. If I get credits it’ll be 2 years before I would actually be able to use them! I think it’ll be easier to reschedule at Disney World just because there are so many DVC resorts.
I was actually hoping for the opposite, as we have never been to DL and now that i have booked us a backup at a moderate at WDW for Oct, I was thinking maybe we could use our “credit” for VGC. But you are probably right... didn’t think of that. We might try Vero Beach too! Anyway our trip was May so I still have a lot of waiting and seeing...

I wonder too, April is a big Spring break time. I think they are assuming that most of those are in jeopardy so it was a good proactive way to get a jump on this before it’s officially announced,

Less angry renters, I would love to know from owners who this impacts to see if there is a change in the release of 30% if an owner can’t or won’t reschedule or rent the points again.

David’ currently asking owners to consider payback the 70% or offering to re rent the points. No mention of what will happen to 30% balance.

100% I would a be entitled to a refund as you have described above.

I am surprised how some owners feel that they can shift all the risks associated with renting their timeshare and reap the benefits of having others help pay their dues etc. and think that not providing those people the agreed upon accommodations means they've fulfilled their obligations. Up until the time that the resort hotels closed (even after the parks already had) all the risk was with the renter, they still had the "option" to use their reservation for accommodations. Once the resorts closed (not by gov't regulation BTW, although it was the correct thing to do) all that risk flipped back to the owner. While its unfair that anyone, renter or owner has to take the burden of this, that's the way the contracts are written. If as a renter I had decided, or was unable to attend my reservation that's on me. As an owner not be able to provide what you offered to rent is on you.

As long as you insist that paying for a timeshare reservation is as straightforward as paying for a set of speakers (or any physical merchandise) or prepaying for some service/work to be provided later, there is no point in debating any further whether you are entitled to 100% refund. What I will say is that someone has mentioned in another thread that a Florida court has ruled in the past that timeshare owners were NOT liable for hurricane-related timeshare closure (of course you can still claim this is different).

As far as shifting risks is concerned, you are absolutely right that owners (I guess I should qualify it by saying some because I don't speak for them all) try to shift the risks associated with the rented points to renters. However, those risks were (or at least should have been) transferred at the time of reservation, which were months ago when everything was fine and valid. Now that things have gone south, some renters conveniently claim it's solely the owners' problems that the resorts are shut down even though they have absolutely no say in that.

Notice I never claim that renters should be left hung out to dry on their own. All I have been trying to do is highlight the fact that the owners are just as much of a victim if not more than renters in this mess. If I were to be one of the unfortunate owners (luckily I am not, for the record), I think all parties involved will likely need to take their share of financial hits.

Sure, you can insist about being entitled to 100% refund all you want, but I somehow doubt even if you were to pursue this in court, you would be awarded a judgement you think you deserve.

LAX

David’ currently asking owners to consider payback the 70% or offering to re rent the points. No mention of what will happen to 30% balance.
I just got the same notice. So my choice is to return the 70%, which means there will be no 30% later, or rent the points again. The money received from either won't be given to the renter. It will be applied to a future credit. These points were banked from previous year and current year with Use year of June. So they expire in 2 months from today and David's knows this. The likely hood of re-renting is zero and nil. And nil is heading for the door.

What is really Pi**ing me off and getting me really hot under the collar right now is that if I am willing to lose 300 points with nothing in return, the renter is not getting the cash. David's is keeping it to apply to a future credit for the renter. So the renter is made whole, David's is made better than whole because they are keeping all the cash, and I am bent over the barrel. How the He** is this fair for both the renter and member that they promised a couple of days ago?

I am waiting until tomorrow to respond because I really want to tell them where to go and what to do when they get there. Up to this point, I was willing to work with the renter, but David's appears unwilling to work with me.

BTW, the reservation is in 4 weeks and Disney has not canceled the reservation yet.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Private owner. I rented 550 points for an April 30- May 8 reservation. Paid in full at booking. Points expire (as it stands right now) May 31. Looking back, we didn’t sign a contract for this one, just exchanged emails. WWYD?

Private owner. I rented 550 points for an April 30- May 8 reservation. Paid in full at booking. Points expire (as it stands right now) May 31. Looking back, we didn’t sign a contract for this one, just exchanged emails. WWYD?
You didn't have any type of stipulations? Then I think you are on the hook and need to refund the money IF Disney cancels the reservation. If they don't cancel, then all the loss is on the renter.

I wouldn't volunteer anything and try to get them to agree to pay the MF so at least you are not at a loss.

If you can find the Case that is rumored to exist stating the the owner is not liable when the hotel/resort closes due uncontrollable forces. You might have leverage to get to a mutually beneficial solution.

Last edited:
Just read this on FB. It sounds as if they have no idea how these travel credits will work. :scared:

BF8F688E-7D8B-4A31-A015-20C6AB3B7F41.jpeg

Duh, yes. Thank you!

I guess I’m going to play follow the leader here. I don’t want to be a jerk To anyone but I also can’t afford to just lose 550 points. Hopefully DVC will come up with at least some sort of solution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter