DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

That'd be interesting to see actually.

Here's a number of images of the decorative ends viable from the street that are known either as "Gib Plates" or colloquially as "Earthquake Bolts"...

Here's a good explanation of how the things work...

Here's a number of images of the decorative ends viable from the street that are known either as "Gib Plates" or colloquially as "Earthquake Bolts"...

Here's a good explanation of how the things work...

Thanks for that, I love stuff like that.
Funny thing... Lately I've been watching re-runs of Holmes on Homes. It's a Canadian show (that also aired in the US) about a contractor named Mike Holmes who basically goes in and fixes other contractors messes. (Although not always.) So today, I watched an episode and in it, he was on Ellen (won't get into that! but this was from 2006) and they picked a family whom a contractor left high and dry. They'd sunk their life savings into a remodel and were left with almost zero money left and no home. This was in Passadena, CA. I was really interested in all the differences in construction between CA and Canada. But the biggest differences were in all the seismic codes that had to be followed.

Morning guys from another humid one in London. Out today on site visits, so there's a little bit of normal, except I'm driving in, which never happens. Still not too sure about the tube, and the firm are OK to fund my petrol and parking.
Cheeky 5k at 7am this morning after a long run yesterday. It was 85 and humid, so cold baths when I got home. The longer runs are now starting to kick in for the marathon training.

For those of you who had "Minor Earthquake in Southeastern US" on you 2020 Bingo Cards, you can go ahead and mark that square.
Dang. I had the San Andreas Fault giving up and going home to complete a line. Could someone go and jump up and down a bit in San Francisco to nudge it along? I would be most grateful.

Does anyone remember how teenagers work?
I remember how boy teenagers work, and I ain't lookin forward to that,

Happy birthday to the young un.

Have a great day chaps.

Morning, Gents, from a beautiful Cape Cod. Had a pretty good weekend. Got to facetime with my niece, and by extension, because she's currently living with my parents, my mom and dad. It was good to see everyone, and good for my parents to see their granddaughter. Outside that not much happened. Now on to week three of my job. Hope everyone has a good day.

TTFN

Happy Sunday morning. It's overcast here, so it may be a rainy day. Tennis already scheduled indoors this evening. After an exciting week of job interview and trip to WDW, we've settled back into Groundhog day. With college football season on the brink of being cancelled, I imagine more closures will follow, and we will have Groundhog day for the rest of the year, or at least thru November.

Hope you get the rain. We've been needing it really bad, but whenever a storm comes our way, we seem to miss it.

Sounds like a good day, except for giving up the TV. DW and I bought matching recliners the last furniture upgrade, so we have our spots and a tv, and we defer the dad to the other. Tennis is a great sport, one she can play for life.

The Wife set her up in it as a way of getting her out of the house and to be active, and she seems to like it, so maybe she'll continue it.

They are quite rare down this way, but there is a fault that runs through the area.

This one was a 5.1 which is not that big a deal. The last one that we actually felt was a 5.8 back in 2011. Again, no big shakes (pardon the pun).
The last real quake was a 7.3 in 1886. That made quite the mess of things and there are still buildings in Charleston with bracing to help stabilize the foundations from after that occurred. Oh, and the USGS believes that we are overdue for another sizable one, but you can't really predict such things.

I remember when Washington DC had their earthquake several years ago. I was working in a tall building in Boston and felt the shock wave when it rocked the building. Weird feeling to be in such a tall building and then to have it start swaying like it did.

Never went to bed until 3 a.m. Few of us DisDads were still chatting away on Zoom last night.

Ouch! I keep looking for those Zoom chats and keep missing them. Where are they announced?

That'll happen... a lot.

Yeah, the wife overrules all.

Huh. Maybe I'll have to look for it.

It is funny.

Always do, that's how I've stayed happily married for over 40 years...

Happy wife, happy life.

For those not on my FB friends list...

Well, as of this morning, I once again have a teenager in the house. 😕

Foolish me, I threw out the manual from the first teenager.

Anyway, happy 13th birthday Katie
View attachment 517066View attachment 517067View attachment 517068View attachment 517069

Happy Birthday, Katie!

Morning guys from another humid one in London. Out today on site visits, so there's a little bit of normal, except I'm driving in, which never happens. Still not too sure about the tube, and the firm are OK to fund my petrol and parking.
Cheeky 5k at 7am this morning after a long run yesterday. It was 85 and humid, so cold baths when I got home. The longer runs are now starting to kick in for the marathon training.

As long as the firm is willing to pay for parking and gas, might as well use the car. Have fun, my friend.

Morning boys. Far too early.

Happy birthday to Katie.

Teen rules for dads. Bend don’t break.
I'm driving in, which never happens. Still not too sure about the tube,
Totally get that.
Cheeky 5k at 7am this morning after a long run yesterday
Define... “long”.
Got to facetime with my niece, and by extension, because she's currently living with my parents, my mom and dad.
Nice. :)

They don't. They sit at home, eat tons of food, have their face glued to phone/video games, want everything given to them and complain if they have to do ANY chores.

No? Just mine? Oh, never mind then.

Happy birthday Katie! 🎂

Morning Gents!

Back into the days of heat warnings, it's been a hot summer so far.

For those not on my FB friends list...

Happy birthday Princess!

Well done! I passed on the run this morning after a soccer match last night. We only had 12 guys so I ended up playing a bit in the mid and finished up front. I've only played striker once before in my life so that was fun. We came away with a 3-2 win so that is good but it is hard playing with the covid rules.

Hope you get the rain. We've been needing it really bad, but whenever a storm comes our way, we seem to miss it.

Ouch! I keep looking for those Zoom chats and keep missing them. Where are they announced?

We need rain bad!! I'm starting to worry about our well.

We usually post the link for Zoom on the facebook group. I'll try to remember to post it here next time. If they are happening, the post usually happens Saturday evening.

We usually post the link for Zoom on the facebook group. I'll try to remember to post it here next time. If they are happening, the post usually happens Saturday evening.
Wish I could sump pump my back yard and send it to you for your well. We've been getting rain just about every day (FL in summer) and not just the 5 min afternoon shower. Tried to mow my lawn the other day. It's been almost 3 weeks since I was able. Got the front (higher) and about 3/4 of back yard done, but was bogging down with mower a lot and couldn't even do 1/4 since it was standing water.

Good morning all. Got some relief from Groundhog Day yesterday. DW and out to a park in the next county over and did the paved walking trail around the lake. It was a nice change of scenery and a good way to start the day. After tennis last night, it's a slow moving morning. Playing on consecutive days is becoming more of a challenge.

Saw that on FB this AM. Happy birthday to your daughter.

The rain just means my grass will grow and I have to cut it.

I remember when Washington DC had their earthquake several years ago. I was working in a tall building in Boston and felt the shock wave when it rocked the building. Weird feeling to be in such a tall building and then to have it start swaying like it did.

Been thru one earthquake in KY. DW was on a cruise with a bunch of friends, and I was home with the dds. One had gotten sick, so I was up with them at 3 AM, put her back to bed, and was laying on the couch to stay close. I could feel the house shaking, which was quite an experience. No damage, but a unique experience.

They don't. They sit at home, eat tons of food, have their face glued to phone/video games, want everything given to them and complain if they have to do ANY chores.

This. ::yes:: :sad2:

::yes::
We came away with a 3-2 win so that is good but it is hard playing with the covid rules.
Congrats.
But... what are the covid rules for soccer?
17k - 10 miles, pick ya poison....
Whoa...
Maybe someday. I'm aiming to do my longest (8K) fairly soon. Just need to find the time.

Whoa...
Maybe someday. I'm aiming to do my longest (8K) fairly soon. Just need to find the time.
Thats amazing ponzie, nice one mate. Unfortunately for me they only get 2-3k longer every week. I still enjoy it though, but those 30k plus runs are a bit of a slog. The training takes me up to about 21 miles, so about 35k as the longest run.The adrenaline on marathon days takes you the rest of the way.

Thats amazing ponzie, nice one mate. Unfortunately for me they only get 2-3k longer every week. I still enjoy it though, but those 30k plus runs are a bit of a slog. The training takes me up to about 21 miles, so about 35k as the longest run.The adrenaline on marathon days takes you the rest of the way.
Thanks. :)
I dunno if I'll ever get that far, though. That's a level of commitment I'm not sure I'm ready to take. Right now I enjoy just... going. Maybe bringing a water with me on (to me) longer runs.
Doing carb loading and anything else involved in marathons... sounds a bit daunting. Right now I'm aiming at 10K or maybe a 1/2 if the 10K goes well... that might be as far as it goes. (no pun intended)

But... what are the covid rules for soccer?

In New Brunswick, the governing body made a few changes to work within the public health guidelines in order to get back on the pitch. Everything is about mitigating the risk of spreading the virus. For example, contact is minimized as much as possible so shoulder tackles are frowned upon. You can't set up a wall on a free kick because you have to maintain spacing as much as possible. You can't head the ball, if you do it results in an indirect free kick. You can never touch the ball with your hands, so throw ins are gone and switched to kicked in. Any "throw in" or corner kick must stay below knee level. If the ball touches a head, hand or arms it is taken out of play and disinfected while a new ball is put into play. Spacing on the bench has to be maintained.

That's the gist of it anyway.

In New Brunswick, the governing body made a few changes to work within the public health guidelines in order to get back on the pitch. Everything is about mitigating the risk of spreading the virus. For example, contact is minimized as much as possible so shoulder tackles are frowned upon. You can't set up a wall on a free kick because you have to maintain spacing as much as possible. You can't head the ball, if you do it results in an indirect free kick. You can never touch the ball with your hands, so throw ins are gone and switched to kicked in. Any "throw in" or corner kick must stay below knee level. If the ball touches a head, hand or arms it is taken out of play and disinfected while a new ball is put into play. Spacing on the bench has to be maintained.

Interesting. I wondered especially about tackles and hadn't even considered walls or throw ins. Or not heading!

Morning, Gents! Had a wonderful start to my third week yesterday. My office in Mashpee, the next town over...wait, I should explain that all towns on Cape Cod pretty much abut up next to each other, so you can go from one town to the next pretty easily. Well, I had to another law office to drop off some documents for a closing and that took about an hour, definitely not the norm, took about an hour round trip. Once I got back I had lunch, so my morning went by pretty quickly. Otherwise, it was a pretty quiet day. The person I'm replacing is frantically trying to get stuff done and doesn't give me ma whole lot, which is annoying, but I understand she's trying to finish as much as she can. After a two week vacation, I got to meet the managing partner, and his little dog, who goes everywhere with him. Well, have a good day, Gents.

TTFN

:thumbsup2

Mine does that now and she's only 7. I'm screwed when she hit the teen years.

Oh I didn't know you're on well water. Man, hope you get some rain soon. I'll pray you do.

I keep forgetting about the facebook group. I'll keep an eye on it this weekend.

Good morning all. Got some relief from Groundhog Day yesterday. DW and out to a park in the next county over and did the paved walking trail around the lake. It was a nice change of scenery and a good way to start the day. After tennis last night, it's a slow moving morning. Playing on consecutive days is becoming more of a challenge.

That's awesome! You have some beautiful country around you, I'd love to go walking with my camera in your part of the country.

The rain just means my grass will grow and I have to cut it.

Well, it's an unfortunate part of life, my friend.

Been thru one earthquake in KY. DW was on a cruise with a bunch of friends, and I was home with the dds. One had gotten sick, so I was up with them at 3 AM, put her back to bed, and was laying on the couch to stay close. I could feel the house shaking, which was quite an experience. No damage, but a unique experience.

I was living in San Francisco when I was in the Navy, and I think they have them all the time, not big ones, mind you, but small ones...just enough to make a sound. I was in a book store in the basement of a building when I heard a rumble. I looked up through the windows at street level and saw no trucks or cars on the street. I froze! It wasn't enough to shake anything, but it was enough to scare the crap out of me. I knew then that I didn't want to live in that part of the country, so once I got out of the Navy, I moved away.

That's good that they're trying to make things normal, as much as they can make it normal at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter