• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP - Review of Chefs de France

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
We (4 adults) ate dinner at Chefs de France on Friday night. I was really looking forward to this dinner - but we were all VERY disappointed.

Appetizers:

I had the Onion Soup - it was ok. The cheese was good, but the onion soup was no different than any onion soup I've had anyplace else (including canned).

DH had the Lobster Bisque - He said it had good flavor, but it wasn't very hot.

Our son had escargot - they were good, but again, not very hot.

His wife had the house salad, which she said was good.

Entrees:

I had the lamb shank. It was horrible. It was not hot - just lukewarm, and there was hardly any meat on it. What meat was there was stringy and chewy. It was served with pearl pasta and lima beans - not much flavor. I ate about half, and couldn't stomach any more.

DH and son's wife both had a stuffed sole dish, with tomato sauce poured over. They were both cool, and said the tomato sauce tasted like McDonald's Hot Mustard sauce. Neither one of them finished it.

DS had the flank steak. He ordered it Medium. It came very well-done, and he couldn't even cut it with a steak knife. It was cool, and WAY overcooked. It was served with cold french fries, that looked and tasted like fast-food fries.

Desserts:

Our desserts were so unmemorable, that we can't even remember what we had! lol I think I had a creme brulee, that wasn't anything special.

All-in-all, it was the worst meal we've ever had at a WDW restaurant! We tried to catch the manager's attention, but it was a very busy evening, and he was rushing around everywhere. I guess we just live & learn - and won't go back there again. :( We were all very happy that we didn't spend the prices they charge here for our meals!

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Wow! Sounds like everything was COLD!!! This was the worst of your trip...

Do you think if it hadn't been so busy/crowded you might have complained?? Would it have made a difference??? Do you you think it had anything to do with menu choices, or free dining, or would you start thinking maybe folks would prefer another Epcot restaurant over Chefs??

Definitely NOT trying to give you a hard time, and I'm usually one to chalk up negative reviews to varying tastes, but you described varied selections and tastes and seems like everything was off temp...Yuk! I am sorry it was so awful for you guys..

DD took Chefs ressies for our trip next month since Le Cellier was booked months and months ahead, based on an awesome lunch we had there a few years ago and the setting being so pleasant.

I totaly believe what you experienced but we had been given advice and all 6 of went for the filet tenderloin and it was very good a few weeks ago. The soups were warm but kind of just a cream broth-we hoped they would have something in them instead of kind a puree type deal. We think we will go back just for the steak though. We also thought the desserts were going to be better but a couple were really good we thought.

Sorry you had a bad meal.........
I have the CP booked for Dec with the Chef's du France as my restaurant to eat at.

I also have the cp package for chefs de france. My sil and I ate there way back in 1990 and the food and service were the worst we've had at wdw. thought I'd give it another try

melomouse said:
Thanks for taking the time to post!

Wow! Sounds like everything was COLD!!! This was the worst of your trip...

Do you think if it hadn't been so busy/crowded you might have complained?? Would it have made a difference??? Do you you think it had anything to do with menu choices, or free dining, or would you start thinking maybe folks would prefer another Epcot restaurant over Chefs??

Definitely NOT trying to give you a hard time, and I'm usually one to chalk up negative reviews to varying tastes, but you described varied selections and tastes and seems like everything was off temp...Yuk! I am sorry it was so awful for you guys..

DD took Chefs ressies for our trip next month since Le Cellier was booked months and months ahead, based on an awesome lunch we had there a few years ago and the setting being so pleasant.

I think if they hadn't been so busy, we probably could have caught the manager and complained. He looked like he was going crazy already though! LOL!

I waited too long to make dinner reservations for that night, and when I called a couple of weeks ago, all of our first choices were already booked for the whole night! Chefs was the only WS restaurant with openings. At the time I wondered if it was because people knew that they weren't that good. lol

I totaly believe what you experienced but we had been given advice and all 6 of went for the filet tenderloin and it was very good a few weeks ago.

They didn't offer the filet tenderloin on their menu. :( That's what I would have ordered, if it was there. The only steak they offered was the flank steak that my son had. It was very thin and tough. I suppose that's why they couldn't cook it medium, because it was so thin.

Rhonda said:
They didn't offer the filet tenderloin on their menu. :( That's what I would have ordered, if it was there. The only steak they offered was the flank steak that my son had. It was very thin and tough. I suppose that's why they couldn't cook it medium, because it was so thin.

What a rip off. It was a nice thick cut, I dont think I would go if it wasn't available from what we saw (and heard) on the rest of the menu.

This is the one we got (on the bottom):

Viandes
Meats and Poultry

Cassoulet d'agneau $22.95
Casoulet with lamb shank, sausages and white beans

Duo de canard aux cerises $24.95
Duo of roasted breast and confit leg of duck with cherries, haricot verts and sweet potato puree

Steack du boucher grille au echalottes pommes frites $22.95
Grilled hanger steak with sauteed shallots, french fries

Demi poulet fermier a la broche, pommes rissolees et tomate braisee $21.95
Half or a farm raised rotiserrie chicken pan fried red potato and braised tomato

Filet de boef grille, sauce au poivre noir gratin dauphinois et haricots verts $27.95
Grilled tenderloin of beef with a black pepper sauce, original potato gratin of savoy and green beans

I'm sorry your meal was bad. It's too bad they couldn't fix some of this for you! I would have told the server and insisted on some hot food. No one should serve cold food!

We had lunch there in June and it was very good. We enjoyed it a great deal and will going back.

To anyone who booked Chefs de France for steak since they couldn't get into Le Cellier -- there is no filet or strip steak on the menu. The only beef available is flank steak based on our visit of last week.

Much like the OP, we were disappointed with our entrees. We still enjoyed the appetizers and desserts, though. Chefs de France has been a long time favorite of ours.

We very much enjoyed the free aspect of free dining last week but, we learned there really is no such thing as a free lunch. Many restaurants had changed their menus in one way or another for the promotion, most removed expensive items (although Tony's added expensive dinner items to the lunch menu, so go figure). Jiko removed the appetizer sampler and would not let us combine two appetizer credits to get one. Weird.

We don't plan to return to Chefs de France. And, we've always made a point to dine there, previously.

ElizabethB said:
To anyone who booked Chefs de France for steak since they couldn't get into Le Cellier -- there is no filet or strip steak on the menu. The only beef available is flank steak based on our visit of last week.

Much like the OP, we were disappointed with our entrees. We still enjoyed the appetizers and desserts, though. Chefs de France has been a long time favorite of ours.

We very much enjoyed the free aspect of free dining last week but, we learned there really is no such thing as a free lunch. Many restaurants had changed their menus in one way or another for the promotion, most removed expensive items (although Tony's added expensive dinner items to the lunch menu, so go figure). Jiko removed the appetizer sampler and would not let us combine two appetizer credits to get one. Weird.

We don't plan to return to Chefs de France. And, we've always made a point to dine there, previously.

Disappointed, that was one of the better steaks we had at WDW. Do you think it will be back after the free dining deal?

I bet if you go back after DDP, it will be better.

I have noticed that since DDP, participating restaurants have compromised their quality.

We were at CDF last April and had DDE. We had the Duck de la Orange, Filet and salads - it was perfect. They even sat us at the window and we watched Illuminations while dining.

Timing could also be an issue in regards to quality of food and warmness.

Did you speak to the server? Did you ask to have the items warmed? Usually, they are very accommodating.

ElizabethB said:
To anyone who booked Chefs de France for steak since they couldn't get into Le Cellier -- there is no filet or strip steak on the menu. The only beef available is flank steak based on our visit of last week....

We very much enjoyed the free aspect of free dining last week but, we learned there really is no such thing as a free lunch. Many restaurants had changed their menus in one way or another for the promotion, most removed expensive items (although Tony's added expensive dinner items to the lunch menu, so go figure).

Thanks for those comments, Elizabeth. Off to the dining line I go to see whatever I might get on a Thursday evening in WS!!!!

It's a shame you didn't have time to complain. There isn't any excuse for cold food.

I can't blame a restaurant for changing the menu so they can profitably operate on Disney's reimbursement schedule. Disney is paying the restaurant something like $22-$25.

Filet de boef grille, sauce au poivre noir gratin dauphinois et haricots verts $27.95
Grilled tenderloin of beef with a black pepper sauce, original potato gratin of savoy and green beans

so this isn't on the menu now (or at least during the past week or so)

ElizabethB said:

We ate at Chefs last year during the free dining promo. The menu was not modified. But, we still had a very underwhelming experience there, contrary to the glowing reports I've read here by Chefs devotees. I would not return, nor recommend it to others for anything other than dessert.
It sounds like it was even worse this year than last, if that's possible.

grcmag said:

so this isn't on the menu now (or at least during the past week or so)
Nope - I wish it was still on the menu - it sounds fantastic!

My 17 yo DS had the Steak au poivre when we were there 8/05. It was decidely bland. I have never had a bland au poivre before, I didn't even know it was possible to have a bland au poivre, but at Chefs it is.

I am struck by the menu modifications. Is this par for the course now? Does this only apply to DDP guests? Is this just during the free dining promo?

We ate at Chef De france in December. I will never go back there. The service was awful, our waitress hated us, and the food was only ok. I agree with it not being good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter