Debt Dumpers - 2018

She still has some congestion, but it is a lot better than it was even yesterday. I can't hear her breathing from across the room anymore. The nurse said that she still sounds congested in her upper chest though, so it might still be affecting her eating. They said that OT referred her to speech pathology and it doesn't seem anyone will be by today because it is too late. They didn't even make rounds until around noon and the orders didn't get in until after that. She kicked her IV out, so she is no longer on IV fluids. That was the plan yesterday except the fluids continued until right before the doctors made their rounds, so a lot longer than I thought she would be on them today. It is almost certain that we will be here another night.

Oh man, sorry to hear you might be there another night. Hope your little one is better really soon!

It is probably good that she is being evaluated by a speech pathologist. If she is having issues coordinating her mouth muscles to suck/swallow, she will likely have speech development issues down the road as well, and with speech issues, the earlier it is caught and therapy started, the better the eventual outcome. She may have apraxia, which requires a lot of therapy and also causes issues with eating. My younger son has that and also had issues feeding when he was younger (although he would feed TOO fast and often choke/spit up and later when he started solid foods, he would "stuff" his mouth overfull and not be able to coordinate swallowing it all, which would cause gagging/throwing up as well). I wish we had started speech when he was an infant. We didn't until he was almost 3 and at almost 12 he still has articulation problems.

Oh man, sorry to hear you might be there another night. Hope your little one is better really soon!

It is probably good that she is being evaluated by a speech pathologist. If she is having issues coordinating her mouth muscles to suck/swallow, she will likely have speech development issues down the road as well, and with speech issues, the earlier it is caught and therapy started, the better the eventual outcome. She may have apraxia, which requires a lot of therapy and also causes issues with eating. My younger son has that and also had issues feeding when he was younger (although he would feed TOO fast and often choke/spit up and later when he started solid foods, he would "stuff" his mouth overfull and not be able to coordinate swallowing it all, which would cause gagging/throwing up as well). I wish we had started speech when he was an infant. We didn't until he was almost 3 and at almost 12 he still has articulation problems.

She had actually just had her last speech pathology/physical therapy appointment last Thursday. She has been going for about a month and a half now. She was extremely improved with her eating and the speech pathologist felt that she didn't need any more sessions. She also had told me that she didn't think that her difficulties would effect her speech or eating solids later on.

DD has eaten about 12 ounces so far and has one more feeding left for today. It is definitely not an amazing amount, but it is an improvement from yesterday. She has been off the IV fluids for about 7 hours now, so I am hoping that she is starting to get hungry. I fed her at 5:30 and she only ate one ounce, but then by 6:30pm she was pretty upset so I offered her another bottle and she ate 2 more ounces. I am hoping this is the start of an increased appetite.

And I also need to figure out if I will be leaving on Saturday as planned or not. DH said that I should still go for my Disney trip and work meeting because he will be here to take care of DD, whether she is in the hospital or back at home. He said that if he needed to take a few days from work next week to take care of her, then he would do that until I got back on Wednesday. I am just so conflicted right now. Overall, she is over her viral infection and acting very normal. But then she isn't eating enough and is actually starting to loose weight from being on mostly just IV fluids for the past 3 days.

She had actually just had her last speech pathology/physical therapy appointment last Thursday. She has been going for about a month and a half now. She was extremely improved with her eating and the speech pathologist felt that she didn't need any more sessions. She also had told me that she didn't think that her difficulties would effect her speech or eating solids later on.

DD has eaten about 12 ounces so far and has one more feeding left for today. It is definitely not an amazing amount, but it is an improvement from yesterday. She has been off the IV fluids for about 7 hours now, so I am hoping that she is starting to get hungry. I fed her at 5:30 and she only ate one ounce, but then by 6:30pm she was pretty upset so I offered her another bottle and she ate 2 more ounces. I am hoping this is the start of an increased appetite.

And I also need to figure out if I will be leaving on Saturday as planned or not. DH said that I should still go for my Disney trip and work meeting because he will be here to take care of DD, whether she is in the hospital or back at home. He said that if he needed to take a few days from work next week to take care of her, then he would do that until I got back on Wednesday. I am just so conflicted right now. Overall, she is over her viral infection and acting very normal. But then she isn't eating enough and is actually starting to loose weight from being on mostly just IV fluids for the past 3 days.
If she’s made this much progress since yesterday, I think she probably is on the road to recovery and you will know tomorrow what you feel comfortable doing about your trip. I’m sure she’ll be fine with DH but if you’re a nervous wreck being away, kind of no point in that. Hopefully she’ll be better enough that you feel good (or at least ok) about leaving.

Not sure if I mentioned here or on another board but DD4, my youngest, has CAS and mild motor dyspraxia. We had our first appt with a SLP who actually knows about CAS (pretty rare here, smaller population and all) and as she led her through an assessment, I was so surprised at how many more sounds/words she has gotten over the last year. End sounds are still an issue but she's almost on par with being able to make the correct sounds for her age. Putting them into words and sentences remains a massive challenge...

We just qualified for a government disability package that covers 2x 30min speech sessions per week and an early childhood teacher to work with her one on one at preschool every fortnight and develop a learning plan. It is such a relief to have this help heading into school next year. We should get the same funding for the next 2 years which is fantastic.

Set up my auto deposits to my savings. I will be using that to replenish my home fund when my home owners insurance comes up for renewal in July. Should be getting a small bonus and reimbursement of my unused personal time that should cover my car insurance in April, any leftover will go to the replenishment fund.

Trying to budget for a small DVC contract via resale and maybe the down payment for a new car (DD just turned 16 but doesn't have her license yet). She will get our current car (2012) and I will get the new one.

If she’s made this much progress since yesterday, I think she probably is on the road to recovery and you will know tomorrow what you feel comfortable doing about your trip. I’m sure she’ll be fine with DH but if you’re a nervous wreck being away, kind of no point in that. Hopefully she’ll be better enough that you feel good (or at least ok) about leaving.

There is a very, very high chance that she will be discharged today. She has already eaten 7.5 oz since midnight, which is already over 50% more than she had eaten at this time yesterday. As long as she continues on this trend, then they will be discharging her tonight. She was so happy and playful this morning. She really is acting like her normal self again.

I have decided that I will go on the trip and leave tomorrow. I have full confidence that DH has it handled. He will be with her over the weekend and she isn't sick anymore, so she can go back to daycare next week. She will have a follow up appointment at the pediatricians, which DH said he can handle as well. And when I get back, I will schedule her some follow up appointments with the speech pathology clinic, on the recommendation with the OT that saw her this morning. They just want to make sure that this isn't a set back to her previous progress and felt a few more sessions would be helpful.

"There is a very, very high chance that she will be discharged today."

That is excellent news, Jen! I am so happy for all of you. When you said yesterday that she had kicked her IV line out (or something similar), I took that as a great sign that your baby was getting her spunk back. :-)

Thanks for the update, and have a wonderful time on your trip. Your hubby sounds like he has it covered well.

There is a very, very high chance that she will be discharged today. She has already eaten 7.5 oz since midnight, which is already over 50% more than she had eaten at this time yesterday. As long as she continues on this trend, then they will be discharging her tonight. She was so happy and playful this morning. She really is acting like her normal self again.

I have decided that I will go on the trip and leave tomorrow. I have full confidence that DH has it handled. He will be with her over the weekend and she isn't sick anymore, so she can go back to daycare next week. She will have a follow up appointment at the pediatricians, which DH said he can handle as well. And when I get back, I will schedule her some follow up appointments with the speech pathology clinic, on the recommendation with the OT that saw her this morning. They just want to make sure that this isn't a set back to her previous progress and felt a few more sessions would be helpful.

All good news! That's great that your husband has the confidence to "handle" things with the baby so you can go away. That is super important and I know so many new fathers don't have that kind of confidence. My husband didn't, but I "forced" him into a "sink or swim" moment so he could overcome that. Our first son was about a year old and I was 2 months pregnant with our second and I told him "I'm taking a solo trip to WDW for 5 days next month because I haven't had a day off in 14 months. You handle our son so I can take a break before this new one arrives."

My husband said it was the hardest 5 days of his life but he was SO glad I made him do it because 1) He learned how hard it is to take care of a toddler alone 24/7 for days on end and since he is military that means he now knew what I had to deal with ALL those times he was gone and 2) He finally felt like he bonded in a different way with our son and he learned that he is 100% capable of doing "the dad thing" without help.

Enjoy your trip and hope your daughter continues to get better!

She still has some congestion, but it is a lot better than it was even yesterday. I can't hear her breathing from across the room anymore. The nurse said that she still sounds congested in her upper chest though, so it might still be affecting her eating. They said that OT referred her to speech pathology and it doesn't seem anyone will be by today because it is too late. They didn't even make rounds until around noon and the orders didn't get in until after that. She kicked her IV out, so she is no longer on IV fluids. That was the plan yesterday except the fluids continued until right before the doctors made their rounds, so a lot longer than I thought she would be on them today. It is almost certain that we will be here another night.

Glad to hear there's some improvement. :grouphug:

ETA: How strange. When I first saw your post it was displayed as the last one and I thought it was strange that no one replied since yesterday. Now they all show up.
I'm late to the party again.:sad2:

Last edited:

Good news! Glad she is better.

Glad to hear she is doing so well :) looking back, I didn’t have a night away till DD was just over a year, but I think it’s good you are taking some time to yourself, and good your DH can take off a few days next week if needed so she doesn’t have to be at daycare

It's official! She is being discharged and we will be home tonight. They are going to put the order in now. She has eaten 15.5 ounces so far today, so it seems that her appetite is definitely coming back. I feel very happy now. :teeth:

This is wonderful news! Did they figure out what caused it? I hope you have a great trip!!

It's official! She is being discharged and we will be home tonight. They are going to put the order in now. She has eaten 15.5 ounces so far today, so it seems that her appetite is definitely coming back. I feel very happy now. :teeth:

Yay!! :cheer2: That is excellent news! I hope you have a wonderful time at WDW :goodvibes

So my DH and I have been dragging our feet on getting our budget up and running. With five young kiddos, it is hard to find the time it takes to input the data, evaluate our spending, adjust our budget, etc. Today we set the goal of getting to it. Based on reviews here, I decided to trial YNAB. Oh. My. Word. I LOVE it :love: It is exactly the type of tool we need to stay on track. I thought we had been doing okay with our January budget, but when we crunched the numbers :scared1: A good chunk of potential WDW dollars were spent on :confused3. No more! My DH loves a good spreadsheet, but YNAB allows us to update as we go. I know my DH (being the detail oriented type) will be diligent about updating the app as he spends. I am motivated by my hope of another trip to WDW to update as I spend too. And it may even keep from spending that extra few dollars at Starbucks... We are both excited to get the ball rolling to meet out debt dumping goals :woohoo:

@Jen and Ashwin and @amalone1013, I hope you both are having a great time at WDW! ::yes::

Took my car in today and got a new battery. Mine was still okay but was near the end of its life being 5 years old. They also ran a code check for free (the check engine light was on) and told me the crankshaft sensor needs to be replaced. Their quote for the new sensor plus installation was $125. I went to the parts store and got it for $14.99. Now just need to swap it out myself. I got a relapse of my cold a couple of days ago, or I guess maybe a different strain of it so I haven't felt up to tackling that part yet. The guy at the store said it isn't any harder than replacing the throttle position sensor, which I did myself last year, so hopefully he's right!

So I'm usually a lurker here on the Debt Dumpers thread, mainly because I had no idea what I was going to do to get myself out debt. But after much debate and calculating, I have figured out that a modified Dave Ramsey system will work for me. I will have my $1K Emergency fund by the end of this month, have already paid off my smaller cc and am starting the snowball to pay off my larger one.

Currently, I have
  • secured cc: PAID OFF!
  • Capital One cc: working on paying off $3k left to pay off
  • Private loan (consolidated car and defaulted private student loan): $18K
  • Consolidated Federal SL: $36K
If I can keep up with the budget I have in place and the snowball, I should have the CCs paid off by the end of this year!
And the Private loan paid off by 2020!
Once those are paid off, I can focus on the Federal SL and hopefully be debt free completely in 5 years!

I hope everything is going well with everyone's dumping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter