Dec Use Year Question

wishicouldgomoreofte

Mouseketeer
150 points 2022 Dec use year must be banked by July 31, 2023 or will expire Nov 30, 2023 if not used.
Is that correct? This has not confused me for 17 years, but it is now for some reason (ageing?).

UY confusion... We go to Disney every October, so what is the best UY? and what happens if we need to cancel/change our trip?

UY confusion... We go to Disney every October, so what is the best UY? and what happens if we need to cancel/change our trip?
Ideally, getting a UY right before travel is good, so an Oct UY is ideal. But, if that trip might be in September, that works too.

You can cancel 31 days or more and all the points go back into the UY of the trip. If the points were already banked or borrowed, they will now expire at the end of that UY. If they are points from the UY of the trip, and you are still in your banking window, you can bank the points forward to extend use for one more UY.

Ideally, getting a UY right before travel is good, so an Oct UY is ideal. But, if that trip might be in September, that works too.

You can cancel 31 days or more and all the points go back into the UY of the trip. If the points were already banked or borrowed, they will now expire at the end of that UY. If they are points from the UY of the trip, and you are still in your banking window, you can bank the points forward to extend use for one more UY.
You are awesome! Thank you so much. I am seeing a lot of great August UY contracts, but it sounds like I should wait for September/October

You are awesome! Thank you so much. I am seeing a lot of great August UY contracts, but it sounds like I should wait for September/October

AugUY works well too! You really just want to travel as close to it as possible so if you see those and they work, you will be fine!!

I know this won’t affect everyone, but if you think you may need to walk your reservation, it can be helpful to have that Aug use year for an Oct trip. Our use year is Oct and we normally travel in Oct or early Nov. Trying to get into a BWV standard studio can be challenging when we don’t have as large a window to get a walk going.

Hello, That is a great tip, thank you! August UY seems to be a good choice for our October travel dates.

I know this won’t affect everyone, but if you think you may need to walk your reservation, it can be helpful to have that Aug use year for an Oct trip. Our use year is Oct and we normally travel in Oct or early Nov. Trying to get into a BWV standard studio can be challenging when we don’t have as large a window to get a walk going.
We actually have found our Dec. use year to be a bit of a complicating factor the last two years even w/out walking. In the past we’ve always traveled in Dec./Jan. & have been in borrowing mode. Because we had to skip a year (thanks pandemic) we’ve been in banking mode & to use up those banked points we’ve started our stays in late Nov. continuing into Dec., thus because we are crossing our use year I’ve had to call MS to get things totally booked.

one more UY question...we are thinking of adding another annual trip in February or March
is there a UY that can work with October, February and March?

one more UY question...we are thinking of adding another annual trip in February or March
is there a UY that can work with October, February and March?
AUG, SEP and OCT would work just fine. Maybe preferrably Aug or September in case you guys go late Sep/early Oct

great, thank you! i have been looking for august, so i will stick with that

Last edited:
would a June use year be ok if you typically go in Feb?
If you typically go in February as long as you cancel your stay in February before the holding deadline (31+ days before the day of the trip) it should still be fine as you’ll still be able to bank those points before 1/31. Depending on when you plan to visit the rest of the time would dictate whether potentially a June or a fall/winter UY would be better.

If you typically go in February as long as you cancel your stay in February before the holding deadline (31+ days before the day of the trip) it should still be fine as you’ll still be able to bank those points before 1/31. Depending on when you plan to visit the rest of the time would dictate whether potentially a June or a fall/winter UY would be better.
i think i got it....so if my trip started 2/14 i'd need to cancel by 1/13....and banking ends 1/31....right?

i think i got it....so if my trip started 2/14 i'd need to cancel by 1/13....and banking ends 1/31....right?

Correct! It is recommended that you always give yourself a day or two leeway with that 31 days...if the website goes down, and MS is closed, you would be out of luck!

I always set my reminder for 33 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter