December 2014 Car Rental Discount Watch

Well I was just checking to see what was out there for a minivan right now. The cheapest I found for 12/6-12/13 was $369.85 through Dollar using the oi1054 code. I didn't book it because I know that will go down.

I just booked with Firefly. Any feedback regarding them? I was able to get a 9 day minivan rental for $389.00. Which seems pretty good, but I get anxious about rental agencies I have never heard of...

I'm curious too. The week of July 21st is terrible. Firefly has decent rates. They are probably not as well rated as the major ones, but a $180 price difference...I think I will risk it.

Just completed a booking on Dollar for a standard sized rental car from Dec. 20-27. Total price with tax is $203.99. Received price through website with no promo code (site automatically put in promo code 172) and clicked "city special" pop-up that opened after I put in my search terms. You can find same deal on Thrifty as well.

Just completed a booking on Dollar for a standard sized rental car from Dec. 20-27. Total price with tax is $203.99. Received price through website with no promo code (site automatically put in promo code 172) and clicked "city special" pop-up that opened after I put in my search terms. You can find same deal on Thrifty as well.

Fantastic! This just saved me a $130 on our rental. I'd had a reservation with Dollar for a full-size, 12/20-27 (plus one extra day because we're turning the car in late that night), for $371.98. But I just went back in to check and made a new reservation for the same time frame and got it for $241.01!

Thanks so much!! :goodvibes

Jumping in on this thread! So happy I found it! We are also going in December and desperately in need of a Van but the prices are unbelievably high (Dec 7-20)! This will be our first time renting a vehicle in Orlando (my first time ever, my husband has 2-3 times for work events). I have always been nervous about it because I've heard of people getting bills in the mail claiming damage was done to the vehicle and other shady car rental stories... (shiver).

So if I may ask the experts:

1. Is it a bad idea to rent at the Disney World location versus the Orlando Airport?

2. Is there a rule of thumb to follow to protect yourself from the Shady Car Rental Folk? (I've heard walk around the car and take pictures before and after, does anyone really do this)

Jumping in on this thread! So happy I found it! We are also going in December and desperately in need of a Van but the prices are unbelievably high (Dec 7-20)! This will be our first time renting a vehicle in Orlando (my first time ever, my husband has 2-3 times for work events). I have always been nervous about it because I've heard of people getting bills in the mail claiming damage was done to the vehicle and other shady car rental stories... (shiver).

So if I may ask the experts:

1. Is it a bad idea to rent at the Disney World location versus the Orlando Airport?

2. Is there a rule of thumb to follow to protect yourself from the Shady Car Rental Folk? (I've heard walk around the car and take pictures before and after, does anyone really do this)

It's always a good idea to protect yourself. However before renting for the first time I was just like you..nervous because of horror stories. They just stand out more and stick with you. That being said, we've had no major issues in 10 Disney rentals.
We've always rented at MCO because it was more convenient for us. We do Universal on our trips as well so picking up and dropping off at the airport makes more sense.
My recommendations would be to stick with reputable companies (any of the ones onsite should be fine), walk around the car and take pictures of damage to show to the agent on the way out of the garage (we always do), and don't fall for add-ons that you don't need. For us this includes any insurance because our regular policy more than adequately covers our rental. You also probably never want pre paid fuel.
We've had exactly one issue. A car from Alamo had a strong mildew smell when the air conditioner got going. That was something we discovered after being halfway to Disney and we just dealt with it for the week. I'm sure we could have returned it if we had been bothered to.
So don't worry too much, and follow this thread closely as the time gets near.
Minivans are going to run higher. They just do. Try going to carrentalsavers.com and typing in your dates for MCO and seeing what they are going for right now to establish a baseline. Book when you see a rate you are comfortable with. Don't prepay so that you can cancel and rebook if it goes lower. Check the rates often.. they fluctuate. And try places like your AAA website or Costco travel if you are a member. I found a great rate through our local CAA website a few months ago and I haven't seen anything lower to date.:)

I'm picking up in Tampa and dropping off in Orlando..........dates are 12/3 and 12/13

Are there any agencies better priced when dropping off at a different location then where you picked up the car?

I'm picking up in Tampa and dropping off in Orlando..........dates are 12/3 and 12/13

Are there any agencies better priced when dropping off at a different location then where you picked up the car?

The only one that I am relatively certain doesn't charge a drop off fee is Budget. There may be others, but that's the one people were recommending in the December 2013 thread. The drop off fee can drive the rate sky high, so I would check with budget, look for coupon codes, or try Budget through Costco or AAA if you are a member of either.

I just checked your dates and locations through carrentalsavers. The lowest (by a long shot) was Firefly. It appears that you need to take a shuttle to the Tampa site from the airport, but there is a location onsite at MCO. I haven't used them but there are reviews here.
They had an intermediate for $246. The other companies were anywhere from $400 to over a thousand for the same category. For that type of savings I would most definitely give them a try. YMMV.:)

I just checked your dates and locations through carrentalsavers. The lowest (by a long shot) was Firefly. It appears that you need to take a shuttle to the Tampa site from the airport, but there is a location onsite at MCO. I haven't used them but there are reviews here.
They had an intermediate for $246. The other companies were anywhere from $400 to over a thousand for the same category. For that type of savings I would most definitely give them a try. YMMV.:)

Thanks, also gave it a thought of renting the car for just one day, Tampa 12/3 and dropping off a MCO on 12/4 and then getting another rental MCO 12/4 to MCO 12/13

Only going to be in Tampa one night seeing relatives.

To see if it would be any cheaper that way.

Unsure about FireFly ????

Thinking Budget through Costco might be a safer option.

Last time we went to Disney, it was June of 2012 and we got a rate from Alamo of $115 for a standard car.

We are going again on Dec 13th and the lowest rate I've found for 7 days is $219 through Alamo. I booked it and will watch to see if I can find anything lower.

Anyone have any luck finding for a minivan for a a week or 9 days for less than $500?

I just rebooked through Dollar using the City Special and saved over $200.00

Our intermediate SUV for 12/22-12/29 (1 week and 1 day) is now $367.

Much better!

I just rebooked through Dollar using the City Special and saved over $200.00

Our intermediate SUV for 12/22-12/29 (1 week and 1 day) is now $367.

Much better!

I'm not sure what intermediate SUV is but Mid-size SUV now shows $325 for your dates at Dollar City Special.

I was too! I haven't seen anything better than when I booked and to tell you the truth I am kind of happy to have it over and done with. If it gets significantly lower in the weeks leading up to our trip I will change it, but I won't fret about it and check multiple codes and scour for deals like I usually do. I used to find that fun.. this time I am just happy to have it all squared away 6 months ahead of time!:goodvibes
I've used Dollar before and found them just fine. Car was in great condition and service was efficient.

Come On Piggie! You know this has become our annual ritual...hunting for those December Deals!!! :surfweb:

I'm not sure what intermediate SUV is but Mid-size SUV now shows $325 for your dates at Dollar City Special.

I have an 11:00 am pick up and 5:00 pm drop off, so that does add one extra day. I still show $367., but thanks for checking again for me.

I just got a good deal with Alamo using the codes in the latest BJ's journal magazine that came.

For $266 total with tax I got a full size for 8 days December 10-18th.

This is a great deal for us because it includes an additional driver, and we always had to pay in the past for the 2nd driver.

Usually an additional driver is $11/day extra.

I just got a good deal with Alamo using the codes in the latest BJ's journal magazine that came.

For $266 total with tax I got a full size for 8 days December 10-18th.

This is a great deal for us because it includes an additional driver, and we always had to pay in the past for the 2nd driver.

Usually an additional driver is $11/day extra.

Can you post the codes? I'm looking for a December rental and someone in my traveling party belongs to BJ's.

Just booked Alamo from MCO 12/20. Drive to lunch, get groceries, and BLT. Next morning 12/21 drive to Dolphin, return car, and boat to DHS. $28 for a full size using American Airlines frequent flyer code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter