• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

****December 2020 Thread****

Specifically talking to those people who are out of state and have to fly or drive to the World.

Are you still going as planned? How are you feeling generally?
Absolutely 👍 We're from NY and have flown down to Orlando already 3x since reopening in June, July, and Sept. We leave next Wednesday for our Thanksgiving trip and are flying again. Dec. trip is mostly a Universal work trip and won't be cancelling that either! We fly JetBlue and we feel no less safe on the planes than anywhere else; in fact safer than some stores since everyone HAS to wear a mask and the crew are constantly cleaning.

Specifically talking to those people who are out of state and have to fly or drive to the World.

We are driving. We always fly from New Orleans, but not ready for planes right now. I was feeling good about going until park capacity increased and more park reservations opened. Looking at videos and photos, I am not sure why no parades since the cavalcades are packed like parades and fireworks. COVID cases are on a rise and states are issuing/reinstating quarantine guidelines.

Reports indicate Disney is doing everything from a safety/cleaning aspect, but it's the few...Everyone @ WDW is not following the mask rules, even though aware of guidelines. I understand it's a personal choice, to go, which makes it hard because everyone is not doing their part. We are going with the mind set that DS may not be an option with crowds. Also, okay going at opening and leaving if too crowded. Also, okay if we do not see the cavalcades due to crowds.

Lots of money for no extra perks, educed experiences - but we will give it a try. This will definitely determine when we go back.

Last edited:

Yes, but definitely feeling different than my September trip with cases on the rise.

I've cancelled all my indoor dining reservations, and fully expect the parks to "feel" more crowded with rising attendance, increased capacity, and less to do. I'm going down specifically for an event at UOR, otherwise I'd probably cancel. I'll probably spend more time relaxing at the hotel this time around.

We had to cut our March trip short due to the pandemic. We cancelled our September trip, and now we've cancelled our Christmas trip. So depressing. We're Canadian though, so it's a bit different with the border closure and lack of health insurance available to cover Covid in another country.

We are! We are driving down after Christmas and still planning on going. We feel that with the precautions being taken we are just as safe there as we are going to the grocery store here in our home state of Illinois. We traveled this summer to other places and felt safe the entire time. We wear our masks when we stop on the drive and will be careful but we all feel very comfortable both with the roadtrip down and our stay at Disney.

DH and I feel ok about it and as of this moment the plan is to go-and that's with the fact that hubby just got out of a leg cast last week.

Yesterday our governor announced that schools for the upper grades would be going virtual for the remaining of the semester, and elementary kids until at least 12/7. Bars and restaurants are closed again aside from outdoor seating and carryout until 12/13. He even wants in home gatherings kept at 8 people and to include members from no more than 2 households.

Our DS, who is 26 and will be house/pet sitting for us while we are gone is having a really hard time with the fact that we are going. He is really upset with it, to the point of the whole travel shaming stuff. While we feel completely safe with what WDW has in place, he questions us going.

So DS is the one stressing me out at the moment about the trip. 15 days out from a Disney trip I'm usually happy, happy-but I'm not feeling so happy right now.

Still planning to go as long as its open, is anyone concerned it will close back down?
Our trip is Dec5, so fingers crossed its open at least that long.

Driving from Georgia. Nov 29th - Dec 5th . Still planning on going unless something changes drastically.

We are IN! We are coming from NC Dec 9-15th and DH and I were there in Oct and I know this trip will look different especially with crowds, and the decorations!

DH is mostly worried about the flights, but in Oct we were fine and flew SW when they had middle seats open but now they dont but we have 3 this time so we'll take up the whole row. AND the SW website said it will notify travelers a few days before their flights if their flights are full.

I try NOT to mention our trip coming up bc I'm afraid he'll pull the plug - but we are 20 days to go!

DH is mostly worried about the flights, but in Oct we were fine and flew SW when they had middle seats open but now they dont but we have 3 this time so we'll take up the whole row. AND the SW website said it will notify travelers a few days before their flights if their flights are full.

SWA's call to pack the planes was ill timed.
Can you switch to JB?

SWA's call to pack the planes was ill timed.
Can you switch to JB?
Id' rather not - we've never done JB before and I keep hearing about nightmare flights that are messing with people's trips. AND, we have companion pass for DH so his flight is covered and I have enough SW points to cover me and DS - and JB doesn't fly from my airport to MCO...oh well!

with that being said, when we flew SW in Oct even though they had the middle seats "blocked", it still wouldn't have been a full flight - and from what I'm hearing the flights still aren't full even though they put back the middle seats.

We have N95 masks to wear on the plane and since they're direct flights I can hold off on eating or drinking for an hour and a half and I'll wipe down the plane "parts" in my seats and we'll be good to go!

AND...if DH was really concerned about flying, then he'd ca-bash it and we wouldn't go - I dont want someone in our party to feel unsafe..

Lots of money for no extra perks, educed experiences - but we will give it a try. This will definitely determined when we go back.
I'm glad you're still giving it a go :) December will be different than our July and September trips and DEFINITELY better than our Thanksgiving trip (although in a positive way I'm sure lol). Honestly we didn't feel any "reduced experiences" other than lack of hopping since we always do that, but we still had wonderful trips. Granted they were just DH and I with friends we meet up with from Chicago and for Thanksgiving we'll have our kids, but they're also older and don't care about characters and fireworks. But the "pop up" characters are fantastic! You never know who you'll see or where. I agree the cavalcades have gotten more crowded and that led to markers being put on the ground during our September stay, but as you said just say away if it's too crowded for you. We've felt good in DS and too crowded in DS and only plan to go there one night next week and will leave if it's too crazy. I hope you have a good time!
Our DS, who is 26 and will be house/pet sitting for us while we are gone is having a really hard time with the fact that we are going. He is really upset with it, to the point of the whole travel shaming stuff. While we feel completely safe with what WDW has in place, he questions us going.

So DS is the one stressing me out at the moment about the trip. 15 days out from a Disney trip I'm usually happy, happy-but I'm not feeling so happy right now.
Ugh that stinks. I get DS being concerned, our DIS friends we travel with often had a concerned daughter when we went in July; since it all went well she was fine when we went again in September. Hopefully you can still enjoy your trip but I know what it's like when one of our kids isn't happy with us!
but in Oct we were fine and flew SW when they had middle seats open but now they dont but we have 3 this time so we'll take up the whole row.
Ooh I didn't realize SW stopped blocking the middle seat :( We only fly JetBlue and they are blocking through January and that is an extension so we're hoping they continue to block for our Feb. trip. I believe one other airline has also stopped blocking the middle seat. At least you're 3 this time though! We are usually 2 unless the kids come with us which isn't often lol, so they'll be with us this month but not in Dec. The boys and I will be 3 across and DH on the aisle across from me so he's very happy nobody will be in the seat next to him.

Ooh I didn't realize SW stopped blocking the middle seat :( We only fly JetBlue and they are blocking through January and that is an extension so we're hoping they continue to block for our Feb. trip. I believe one other airline has also stopped blocking the middle seat. At least you're 3 this time though! We are usually 2 unless the kids come with us which isn't often lol, so they'll be with us this month but not in Dec. The boys and I will be 3 across and DH on the aisle across from me so he's very happy nobody will be in the seat next to him.

I think SW is now selling ALL seats as of Dec. 1st... :confused3

I did check and JB does not fly from our airport in NC to MCO, so we're OUT for changing to that airline but SW did say that they'd let travelers know before their flights if they anticipated a full flight.

I'm just *fingers crossed* hoping that our "boring Wednesday flight" down there is not full along with our "boring Tuesday" return flight home! :rotfl2:

and the last 2 trips has just been DH and I except this our DS's rescheduled HS graduation trip that was cancelled in June - and we don't even care that he's now a freshman in college!

LOVING your TR going on!!

Id' rather not - we've never done JB before and I keep hearing about nightmare flights that are messing with people's trips. AND, we have companion pass for DH so his flight is covered and I have enough SW points to cover me and DS - and JB doesn't fly from my airport to MCO...oh well!

with that being said, when we flew SW in Oct even though they had the middle seats "blocked", it still wouldn't have been a full flight - and from what I'm hearing the flights still aren't full even though they put back the middle seats.

We have N95 masks to wear on the plane and since they're direct flights I can hold off on eating or drinking for an hour and a half and I'll wipe down the plane "parts" in my seats and we'll be good to go!

AND...if DH was really concerned about flying, then he'd ca-bash it and we wouldn't go - I dont want someone in our party to feel unsafe..
I just asked as I'm sitting here actively perusing a pair of flights to coordinate with a potential room for the first week of December.

SWA is off my list entirely due to their decision and it's killing me as I like their terminals and boarding procedure the best.
Yes, JB is known to monkey with the program and has the tendency to move gates and cancel planes but the latter is usually done with two weeks notice. Still, a pain though.

I'm stuck in a loop here... have to book a room/plane/possibly a car rental ... I'm one of those people who has no business being out and about as the virus is surging, but someone in the family has to go south, and I'm the only one who is willing.

We are flying SW and we paid for EBC, which we normally don't do. Normally I check in right at 24 hours and we get a pretty good A or B. And we are back of the plane people, so we head straight to the very back and even on some of the more full flights we've been on we haven't had to share the row. Hopefully it goes that way this time too!

ugh....kill me now - DH is now wavering again back to us NOT going in December.....DH works in healthcare and is in the hospitals daily and he sees it firsthand and I get his concerns, which at the moment are the flights....and driving is a no-go....

I told him to stop playing with my emotions and make a decision - either we go or not, I just need to know - I'm supposed to be pulling out suitcases today!!

:sad2:
:crazy2:
:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

Starting to get excited only 8 days till we are back to the Magic! We got a fun trip with my BIL & SIL and their kids so should be so much fun! Hard to focus on my work the next few days 🤪
Have a great time! We head down for our Thanksgiving trip in 5 days :goodvibes
Hooray!
Sort of...
Park Hopping returns Jan 1
Yes! Sounds good even with the restrictions. Works well for my February trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter