Decided NOT to buy DVC

senorak

Earning My Ears
Thanks to all who offered into re: DVC....but after much research; we decided it was not the way to go for us. Yes, we love Disney....but the high cost of buying (even resales) and the exhorbitant maintenance fees, along with only a 40 year "deed" just turned us off. With 5 of us, we would need to use points towards a 2BR villa...and with me being a teacher, I am limited to travel during the high seasons of summer and/or holiday time. It just didn't add up for us.

We currently own a TS in the Poconos and are looking to buy another (probably in SoCA) and from the research, can find a 2BR one with extremely high trading power for a fraction of what the DVC would cost (and has low maintenance fees and is deeded forever). Yes, I know we won't be able to trade "in park"; but for the cost difference, being outside the park isn't too bad. Plus, we could always snag a great discount on hotel to stay in park for a few nights.

I love the concept of the DVC...and the travel options were wonderful. ANd yes, it would be great to have a villa in WDW...but for us, the cost involved was just too high. But thanks to all for the input. You helped me make an informed decision.

DEB

That's what these boards are all about. I hope you enjoy your vacations, wherever they are, because that is what life is all about, isn't it? Enjoyment, every single minute of it.

I have decided not to purchase either. The value is not there for a purchaser in DVC I.

Oh well.

Hope DVC is happy with their new stratagy! I have never seen people backing out of DVC sighting lack of value before. Its interesting the first poster talks about the flexibility that the program offers, however, the second poster is aware of the new point structure comming out and is running away as fast as he can. Can't say I blame him and I can not defend DVC on this . I am still waiting to wake up from a bad dream . Say it isn't so.

What new strategy???? We purchased in 1997, and couldn't be happier with our decision!!!! Is there something happening that I haven't heard about????:confused:

Hey Bumpy - how about reining in the hysteria a little! The fact is that staying at a DVC resort costs <b>exactly</b> as many points as it ever did. It hasn't gone up, and it cannot go up. Our contracts say so.

What has apparently gone up is the cost (in points) of staying at <b>non-DVC</b> resorts (the Poly, AKL, etc.). Compared to a DVC resort, these were never a good deal in the first place. And if what we're hearing is true, it's an even worse deal.

But if you use your points to stay at OKW/BWV/WLV and the rest, <u>you are completely unaffected by this</u>. It disturbs me to think that this point may be missed amid the general freaking out that's going on around here.

Thanks for making clear that the points needed at the DVC resorts aren't going up. I didn't think they could; however, I was getting ready to sell mine without having stayed there yet! Do people really buy to stay at non-DVC resorts. It seems in most cases, if you really wanted to stay at a non-DVC resort, cash is the way to go.

Thanks!

The thing that concerns me is when the Disney bean counters start getting involved, they come in and start bumping up associated costs where they can get away with it (where they aren't held back by state laws ) like under state law the maintenance can only go up a certain percentage.

If they raise the point costs for the DC ( I hope the huge rate increase some are reporting are due to getting Concierge level) and they get away with it where do you think they might go next, maybe a redistribution on points for weekdays and weekends, and raise the weekdays and drop the weekends hurting those people that stay 10 or 12 days.

I'd like to hear from people who have been with DVC from the beginning to see what things they remember having that are now gone.

I must respectfully but emphatically disagree with sgtpet's post above that "The value is not there for a purchaser in DVC I." I agree that DVC is not for everyone; if you don't like to visit WDW every year or every other year, or don't care to have the additional comfort and amenities of the Deluxe Resorts, then DVC may well not be for you. But if you DO like to visit WDW on a regular basis, and DO like to stay onsite at the Deluxe resorts, DVC (or DVC I as sgtpet calls it) is a TREMENDOUS value. In my view, we'll be paying off the 'mortgage' on DVC for a maximum of 10 years (hopefully we'll be able to pay it off early :) ) and then we'll have *30 years* of deluxe DVC vacations for simply the cost of maintenance fees. If that isn't value, I don't know what is. I really can't understand the people who are so incredibly bothered by the termination date... heck my little boy will be over 40 by then... at that point, he can buy his OWN membership in DVC XXI... ;)

Disagree as must but look at the posts. DVC has sold and what almost sold me to the plan was that flexibility was a key component in the sales pitch.

Unfortunately from the recent posts it seems apparent that Disney is taking this away. If you look at the DVC and the value people received 10 years ago up until today, you would see a steady decline in value for what you are purchasing today. New or Resale.

With what is going on, I can see them making it nearly impossible for you to vacation outside your home resort. Not only that but you have to plan your vacation 11 months in advance. So much for choosing a place to go 4 months even in advance.

I was close to purchasing but I have held back until I hear anything positive.

Thanks for the reply. My main point, that I made on another thread, is that it is NOT apparent that Disney is taking ANYTHING away, because the points schedules are NOT out yet. We are all hypothesizing and extrapolating from a few isolated point quotes, and all I am saying is that we need to see the entire schedule before we go drawing those kinds of conclusions.

If you were thinking of buying DVC mainly so you can stay at non-DVC resorts, then it isn't really a good value, and wasn't 10 years ago either. But have you SEEN the DVC resort rooms? I had just stayed in the Grand Floridian this June for 5 days when we went on the DVC tour, and the VWL rooms that we looked at BLEW AWAY the GF rooms, both in terms of space, but much moreso in the way of amenities. So while yeah, you *could* stay at the GF on points, it costs WAY more, points wise, even before the increases, for LESS space and amenities in the room. It's nice to have the option, I guess, but it's certainly not a reason to buy or not buy into DVC. Our salesperson was very clear and upfront with us that ALL of the non-DVC collections are re-negotiated every year, and that they *could* go away at any time. The only thing that is *guaranteed* is the DVC resorts.

If I could take a vacation to DVC in the summer months with a 2BR villa and say it was only "maintenance fees", I would take another look at DVC.....but in order to get the number of points (to have a 2BR in the summer), you are talking at least 250-300 points (13k--on up purchase price from resale). And the maintenance fees of upwards of $500 /year to almost $1000 or more....it really does add up. Unless you pay the entire purchase in full and use it during "off season times", I can't see the value of DVC. We would only be able to go every other year (saving points from each year) in order to get a 7-10 day stay in a DVC villa---so now we're talking 2 years of maintenance fees for one trip---that's more than I'm paying for this year's trip to stay at the Poly. Like I said before, for us, having to travel in the summer....the DVC is not worth it. And yes, I agree....looking at the different resorts you can exchange into seem wonderful; but again, I would be using the maximum (or near maximum) amount of points and that to me is a terrible waste of money. For those for whom DVC works well, I say "more power to you"....but it is not for everyone; just as TS is not for everyone. I would love (and plan) to visit Disney every year or every other year....but I will be doing it thru trading my TS week for one close to WDW. Yes, the "magic" may not be there.....but, I will still have a deluxe villa and the same ammenities as many of the DVC resorts (if not more) and will not have to have my children "re-purchase" the villa in 40 years. Again, I had planned to buy into DVC...but after putting the numbers to paper...and seeing the huge cost, it simply wasn't worth it to me.

DEB

I think that everyone on this thread respects your decisions and your reasons for making them. Certainly DVC does not make sense for everyone, and no one here is arguing that you should change your mind. You do tend to burn a lot of points if you go in the summer, AND Friday nights and Saturday nights are *ridiculous* increases over Sunday-Thursday. To me the ultimate DVC plan would be to take two (or more ;)) Sunday night - Thursday night trips per year rather than one 7-10 day trip. You'd be *amazed* how much further your points can go if you don't stay over Friday or Saturday nights. But *clearly*, not everyone has the flexibility in their schedules that they can take those kinds of trips, and for the reasons you pointed out, DVC does not sound right for you, at least right now.

I may have missed a post somewhere, but I really do think that all of us respect your decision and your reasoning - you don't have to defend or justify yourself. I'm just glad that you could make a fully informed decision because of all of the input and answers that you received here. That's what the place is all about! :)

Interesting comments. We thought for about 5 minutes about the expiration date. The question that gave us our answer was: Is Disney more likely to be in business, still providing a quality product, 45 years down the line than Podunk Timeshare Corporation offerring deeded ownership. We know that, even if the price per point continues to increase, and the rate for deluxe accommodations goes to $1,000 per night, we will still be able to stay at our villa at OKW.

Our first TS purchase was in 1993, deeded with relatively low annual fees. BUT, there are internal restrictions and costs that cost us a few hundred each year. Restrictions such as a limited time frame for less than full week reservations, costs for extra cleaning due to multi mini vacations. Maintenance and landscaping has been OK, but doesn't compare with DVC or Marriott. Value? Last year we considered selling, but best offer was about 60% of the "special" price we paid in 1993. Fact: We could sell our DVC points for more now than we paid for them in 1995. We realize that there will be a point in time that the value of our points will decrease, but we will have had than the full use, and it will be up to our children to decide to participate in DVC IV.

I can think of several reasons not to join DVC, primarily that there are no plans to visit WDW at least every two or three years. We bought Marriott in 1997 for their extensive list of resorts, exchange power, and their Reward Points program. Annual fees at DVC and MVCI are comparable.

Guarantees are only as good as the paper they are written on. We are personally very leary of low cost promises and "guarantees". Someone has to pay for the updated TVs etc. I don't like surprises when the owners are assessed for things that were thought to be included. It is very easy for the corporate management to label a need as extraordinary and charge owners a fee. There have been such cases in the last few years. I don't think that we are at too much
risk with Disney, Marriott and a few other established TS.

Senorak,

Your last post came in while I was typing my epistle. I sure didn't mean to show any disrespect for your decision. We are also restricted to summer vacations, but we NEVER stay more than the 5 nights at DVC. We use some Marriott Reward Points to stay in the area for a few extra.

My brother basically agrees with you. The major downside of TS ownership is the need to plan so far in advance.

Great vacatios for you and yours - no matter where you go.

DVC is certainly not for every one, but assertions that the value just is not there with DVC I and that one is a teacher and can only go in high seasons are not backed up by the quite reasonable calculations of DVC's value done by many of us in recent threads (we had a series of threads a few months back that had gory detailed calculations). I myself have a schedule that greatly limits when I can go to WDW--generally we might be able to sneak away for one week in late July if the stars align right (We simply cannot go from August-June). Otherwise, we must go at the Christmas holiday time. This is actually the reason that we chose to buy DVC, not a reason for not buying! In general (this year has been a notable exception), the cash rates for non-DVC resorts are highest (and least discounted) at the holiday times. We are able to prepay our vacations for the next 40 years and stay in deluxe accomodations (studio) for at least a week every year for the same or less cost as staying at the ALL STAR RESORTS (not moderate resorts, VALUE resorts)!!! Even if I never stay at a non-DVC resort, never cruise on DCL (something that we dearly DO want to do), and never exchange out of DVC, we are getting an excellent value for our prepaid vacations and I have no regrets. Yes, I too am disappointed in any reduction in the flexibility of my membership. However, I took the advice to heart that what you see now is not necessarily what you will get down the road with respect to options to trade out (including the Disney collection). We also carefully bought where we want to stay most, which is the consistent advice offered on this board. DVC is not for everyone, and has it's greatest benefits for people willing to plan ahead. However, it should be noted that one often cannot go to WDW with one's choice of rooms and rates at the four months ago with a cash reservation, so to some extent we are comparing apples with oranges.

DVC is not for everyone, but it remains an excellent value for the same buyers as have always been the best candidates for DVC.

Thanks for all the supportive feedback. Wish I could justify our buying into DVC....but with our travel limits (and flying from PA), a 5 day stay wouldn't cut it for us. No offense was taken at any post. BTW...I'm heading to WDW tomorrow!

DEB

senorak - First, have a great time at WDW. We just got back from 12 nights at Old Key West and 3 nights at the Contemporary. I just wanted to add another comment regarding your decision based on your current career/family situation. We currently have just about enough points to spend 12 nights a year in a 2BR suite at OKW during the summer months. Our children are both in school and that will be the case for the foreseeable future. We always take my wife's mom along with us, thus we have always opted for the 2BR. My point is that, in the future, we won't need a 2BR unit, nor will we be limited to summer only vacations. I'm looking forward to the day that Sue and I can zip down to Florida during some season other than "hot" and enjoy the different facets that WDW has to offer (Flower & Garden, Food & Wine, and Holidays).

Your observation that maintenance fees can rise dramatically is a very valid concern (and one which was almost the deal breaker for us). And sgtpet's observation that the Disney Collection is no longer a bargain does bring into question the "inflation protection" that DVC is supposed to provide to members. I understand that DVC has to negotiate these rates with the other Disney resorts and with the Disney Cruise Line, but it appears that the value of DVC to these outside entities is not entirely appreciated in these times of economic uncertainty.

I guess my point is that DVC may make sense for you in the future and if you believe that it will, it would make sense to purchase now rather than later. If you can plan your vacations 11 months in advance, all the better. But DVC isn't for everyone. It's just sometimes hard for those of us who are members to admit that.

When some timeshares are selling rooms when they have none along with major lies, poor value and a false promise of being able to trade for anything; I just shrug when someone says that my guide promised and emphasized but it wasn't in writing. I've said before and I'll repeat, anyone that bought into the DVC program with any other intent than to use the points mostly or even exclusively to stay at DVC resorts, made a poor decision. Now we've all made poor decisions in our life and I can think of a lot worse I've made than having DVC go south on me. So anyone who wants to give me their points and let me pay the dues are welcome to do so.

Timeshare salesman are worse than Used Car Salesman with DVC and Marriott having the best as a whole.

JOE T. made the comment about other Time Shares. Go check out West Gate Lakes just north of WDW.Yes they are adding new buildings,but look at thier original construction.We stayed there may 2000 and were forever cured of TS's like this. I would probably trust MVC or Hilton's plan but nobody else.

Second, everybody is talking about "the value" of DVC going up or down. I never put a $$$ value on my points, I consider them priceless. My wife and I love going to WDW twice a yr, 10 days between Thanksgiving & Christmas and two weeks in May. One doesn't need to be a math wizz to realize the economy of DVC as opposed to paying cash for 24 days of deluxe accomodations. As for 2042... I'll be 82 yrs old, I think DVC expiring before I do will be the least of my worries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter