DH says NO to unofficial guide!

Melora

Disney Dreaming
I really wanted go to go out and buy the new unofficial guide (we have one from 2 years ago) and DH said NO WAY... he was really unhappy that the guide puts the food and restaurants down so badly and says if we listened to the guide, we would never have eaten the great meals that we did. (We LOVE the sci-fi dine in which the guide says has terrible food, and also the 50s prime time which the guide says has bland food.. NO WAY to either). I understand his beef.... I actually am quite impressed with the food and can't think of a time that we didn't have a great meal.
***SIGH*** how does everyone else feel about the food? Does anyone else feel the guide isn't fair to the food?

PLEASE no flames about the criticism to the guide.... I LOVE the guide and will probably get one anyway.... I just wish it would lighten up a bit in regard to eating there!

Why don't you go get Birnbaum's Official Guide? I always tend to buy these first and if I need more books, try others. His are always very good. I actually haven't read the unofficial book, but as for reviews I don't take them too seriously. We figure, if we want to try it we will. DH and I loved the pizza at spoodles takeout and tons of people say its horrible. Everyone has different opionions on it.

Or you can try the Passporter, believe someone here may have the link.

They seem quite positive about their experiences, not as negative as the UnOfficial guide can be.

:D

Oh, dear! I agree with you...unofficial guide all the way. Birbaum's sugar coats everything and the passporter is alright...but you can't beat the touring plans in the Unofficial Guide. I do think they are too hard on the eating establishments in Disney so I usually skip over the meals section and plan whatever WE want to do. I'd rather decide for myself if the food and restaurant is good because places and food menus change all the time. I say buy it, but plan your own meal ideas! Have fun!

It was our first "summer" trip to Disney so I wanted to have all my duck in a row to fully enjoy my trip. So I bought the book for 2003.
I was disappointed. Evidently, most of the book was written just after 9/11 and included a ton of information that is no longer current (ie. no more early entry, early park closings, early ride closings) We went using FTP, so I'm sure the items that were incorrect in the book were added back in anticipation of the crowds. Anyway, just be careful about which book you choose.

Hi Melora,

Food seems to be the area in which most people take issue with the Guide. Even within the Guide's research team, "restaurant reviews" is one of the top (if not the top) areas of debate. The internal discussions we had about Le Cellier, for example, prior to the 2004 edition were pretty heated.

To keep things simple, I'll just talk about sit-down restaurants here. Bob's point of view on this, as he's mentioned in the past, is that if Disney says a restaurant offers "fine dining" (and charges "fine dining" prices), then it should be held to a "fine dining" standard similar to what you'd see outside of WDW. Certain restaurants succeed admirably: California Grill, Victoria & Albert's, Shula's, Spoodles and Citrico's come to mind. I think that the Guide's reviews of these restaurants generally match well with guest experiences.

For "casual dining," the bar is obviously a little lower. Bob again, though, holds Disney to the standards they themselves set. If a restaurant offers, oh, say, "tender pan-seared tilapia in a bed of hydroponically grown lettuce," then that pan-seared tilapia better be tender, and should be comparable in quality, preparation and presentation to what you'd get outside of WDW at a similiar establishment for a similar price. We think this is a reasonable expectation, especially as Disney is the one setting the terms in their menu language.

This expectation, though, is one area that everyone doesn't agree on. Lots of folks write in expressing some variation of "It's a theme park, what do you expect?" Not to be glib, but I think we expect what Disney says they can deliver on the menu. That seems like a logical place to start, anyway, and I'm not sure what else can be used as a generally acceptable basis for judgement.

The problem, as I see it, is that Disney has to serve tens of thousands of meals every day. To maintain that level of quality and consistency (while still making a profit) for that many meals is extremely difficult. As one might expect, some restaurants manage to do this very well. Some don't do it well at all (cough Cap'n Jack's cough), and most probably fall somewhere in the middle. If you put every Guide restaurant review on a chart (which I did this past spring after disagreeing on some reviews with our culinary professional), I think you'll see that the ratings - unconsciously - follow that kind of bell curve.

Finally, it's worth noting that we post representative reader comments *and* their restaurant ratings along with every one of our reviews. That extra feedback should help folks make the best possible decisions about where they want to eat.

Hope that helps explain a little about how the Guide rates restaurants. For the record, I like Le Cellier. I think the 50's Prime Time Cafe is okay (the atmosphere is good, and when the server is really in-character it's a lot better), and my own experiences at Sc-Fi have been pretty bad. I don't do food reviews at all, BTW.

Besides the food reviews, the touring plans in the 2004 edition are completely updated from the 2002 edition, and will save you lots of time standing in line - up to 90 minutes in the Magic Kingdom. We've also got expanded hotel coverage, new park companion cut-out pages that show every ride, restaurant and rest spot in each park, and lots of information from Disney experts like Deb Wills (wdwig.com) and Mary Waring (Mousesavers.com).

If there's anything I can help with for your trip, feel free to drop me a line: testa@ncat.edu.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

I don't think the guide is that hard on disney food at all and I have never gone wrong following their reccomendations. In fact, I think they're spot on.

Iansmom, free on-line updates to the Unofficial Guide, including updated touring plans for Early Entry, have been available on-line starting with the 2003 edition. See my sig below for the URL, and please let me know if there's anything we've missed.

Sincerely,

Len

If there's something I always use my unofficial guide for its dining. If anything, it just prepares me for the possibility of a bad experience. Getting back to the Sci-Fi, I know the guide rates it pretty bad but the food was good, however, i see where the guide is coming from as the price to food ratio is a bit off. I say it's better to go in with an idea of what to expect, rather than go the rest of your vacation fuming over a bad meal at some restaurant.

There are advantages to working in a library! I ordered the unofficial guide for my library. You should check your local library. Maybe you can preview it before purchasing?

Marie

For what it's worth, meals at WDW are always the least satisfactory part of our trips. DW and I aren't picky by any means, but we're not foodies, looking for a new taste or style. To me, there seems to be a gap in the restaurant line-up, between counter service and pricier sit-down. I'd love to see something like Appleby's, Big Boy, Red Robin - the chain restaurants where entrees are $7-13, but you can get a beer/drink with waitress service. And I fell that the 'theming' is rarely worth the cost premium - there's a need for PrimeTime, but a need for alternatives, too.

That's one of the reasons why we prefer the honest, if a little harsh, perspective of the unofficial dining info - I can at least know what we're in for when it's time to choose.

And Len - kudos on the 2K4 UG. Picked it up over the weekend and I'm busy burning through it. A lot has changed, I like the new look - of course, the last WDW UG we had was 2K1! :o

Oh great--you updated the UG for 2004--how many guidebooks can I buy before DH takes my checkbook away?? Guess I will be picking up the 2004 edition now. I use the UG and Deb's site every trip to decide where we want to eat. Like QuickGold said, then we are always prepared if our meal is not as great as we expected.

I agree with QuickGold - at least you will be "prepared" for a not-so-good meal. If it's better than you expected - GREAT!!!

I think though that you will never please all of the people all of the time and that even if the reviews were a little more "laxed" then people would complain that the Unoffical Guide was too easy on Disney.

I think the standards to which they hold Disney are the only fair way to do it - make them put their money where their mouth is - if you say its fine dining, it needs to be fine dining, especially at fine dining prices.

With that said, I think the book overall is VERY GOOD - and especially useful to a first time planner. It is, at the end of the day, just that - a GUIDE.

Melora-- A good compromise with your husband would be to get it from the library. Our local library allows us to reserve books online. But it's a BOOK. Whether you work all day inside or outside the home, you have earned the right to buy some things that you really want. I am a stay at home mom, and if there's a smaller item I want, I can save here and there at the grocery store, etc. Now if your husband refuses to follow the restaurant advice, so be it, but get that book if you want it. He can go buy another guide book if he likes.

I've eaten at the 50's Prime Time Cafe, and the food isn't bland at all, it is awesome!!!! So is the atmosphere, so the authors of Unofficial Guide MUST have something wrong with their tastebuds if they think the food is bland there, oh well, to each their own.

Jules

free on-line updates to the Unofficial Guide, including updated touring plans for Early Entry, have been available on-line starting with the 2003 edition

DOH! No why didn't I check that before I left? I bought the 2003, have the mini 2000 guide, and didn't end up utilizing the tourning plans much because we either went to EMH or started in the afternoon. Now do I feel Dopey or what?

You really can't go by restaurant reviews anyway. Most places are so "hit or miss". We had one of our best meals at the Sci Fi. I prepared my boyfriend for the worst because of the reviews and we ended up enjoying a nice meal here. On the other hand, we had a mediocre meal at the California Grill, a place most people rave about. You just have to experience it for yourself.

Thanks for the input everyone! I guess I compare the restaurants with ones outside the world and figure if a decent meal at an "ordinary" restaurant costs X dollars, then the comparable meal inside WDW should cost X dollars plus some, since everything in the world is pricey. Then when you add the cool atmosphere it kinda makes up for the price. Last time we went we ate all over the place (was floored that I only gained a pound the entire trip..guess it was all that walking counter acted it).

The meal at O'Hanna was excellent even though one of the Kabobs was dry... don't remember which one. But that thought got lost in the fun we were having. I get the same thing every time I go to the Sci Fi theater so I suppose my views are limited but I always love it. I had a shake there last time and it was SO yummy.

I know I will go and get the guide anyway. My hubby really doesn't care.. I caught him reading it this morning as he was having breakfast.... he was telling me about how at the end of the day they make lines look longer by not letting as many people inside at a time so less people will line up thinking the lines are too long.

I think if we thought the food was really not very good, we might not go back as often since the dining experience is one of the things we go for.

Thanks Len for the personal response.. I do really like the book and spend a ton of time reading it... maybe if just one "A" could get snuck in there once and awhile.... :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter