DH says NO to unofficial guide!

Disnee Dad Says...................................Take some checks from the next set and hide them. Then when DH takes your checkbook you can still buy more books!!! As long as you have checks you have money, oh wait it's that darn "balance" thing!:Pinkbounc

It's simple. You say "I don't know, I'm either going to the spa for a massage and a face thingy(women fill in with the right words!) that will run $100-$150, cause I want to keep it cheap. Or I could buy a couple guide books for $30 -$40. It's a tough choice, I'll let you decide!!!":jester:

For the best prices on the new Unofficial....try buy.com ($11.33 plus $1.95 plus $.45) or overstock.com ($12.49 plus $1.40) the shipping time is shorter on overtstock, and they ship out of IL. Just a few samples I found.

We own a 2oo3 copy of the"unofficial guide" & along with the Brits guide are the 2 best guide books we have read.
On the subject of food(my fav subject)I checked the guides write ups on the restaurants/cafes that we ate in last time around & agreed with them totally,we were really disappionted with the Sci fi Dine in-a school dinner hall with a big screen!Our server appeared bored & unintrested & the food was nothing to write home about-but then were our expectations too high?
As it's our 12 th wedding anniversary when we are there I had intended going to Fulton's but have to say the guide has put me off!Now I know I could ignore their review but when you're paying top dollar is it worth the risk!?
SD
PS 28 days to go is it too late to buy the 2004 edition!!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

I love the unofficial guide, and I buy a new one every year. It's the only guidebook that I've ever purchased that actually makes me laugh out loud. Overall, I don't think it's negative towards Disney--I appreciate it's honesty and the way they present differing points of view from their readers. That said, I often disagree with their restaurant reviews. I think the reasons behind that are simple: different strokes for different folks, food quality varies, and different people are looking for different things in a restaurant. We had a good experience at Sci-Fi, and we didn't just love California Grill. I'm sure if we had been on a different day or ordered something different, our experiences could have easily been just the opposite. Just my 2 cents. :)

To be honest..I really like the unoffical guide. We get one every year as well. In fact, last year for Christmas, 4 people gave us the 2003 guide saying they thought it was the perfect gift. It was..it was so perfect we had already purchased it!;)

I think the food reveiws can be a bit harsh too. After all, if you have ever eaten at Six Flags or Paramount's parks you can taste a real difference. And the prices for snacks and counter service seem to be about the same. I guess the difference is that these amusement parks don't have the sit down dinning expiriences like Disney does. I actaully didn't like the food I had at the Garden Grill, but my DH loved it! The food at Prime 50's, I liked it and Dh tought it was OK. But then he hated the atmosphere.

I think the book is great and just take the restuarant guide part in stride. It like the others have said, a different day the same meal or a different meal the same day could change an entire restaurant expirience!

The 2004 Guide is OUT???!!!!!!

I need to get one ASAP cause Bob himself wrote me back on some of my comments on the 2003 guide and said that they would probably be in the 04 guide!!

I'm off to Amazon. com

Carol

I really like the guide. The restaurant ratings are kind of harsh at times, but that's not unlike what we see on these boards. They also have the system where they ask the guests to rate the restaurants, which they put right with the reviews. I wish I had followed the guide's advice on Palio's (flatbread & pizza only) when I went there, although I know I'm in the minority from the reviews I've seen lately. I find the Unofficial guide funny & informative & a nice companion to the Birmbaum book.

Do you really have to listen to your husband about buying a book? We are only talking about $15. I would get the book and that would be the end of that.

Not taking either side on this debate LOL however....

My hubby and I have been to TONS of theme parks, infact that is how we spend our vacations.
We have season tickets to Kings Island in Kings Mill, Ohio.... if you want overpriced bad food go there.

Of all the Theme parks we have been to Disney has always been the best at variety, food and friendliness.

Although it is not like eating at "The Bubble Room" in Florida, we try to keep in mind that it is a Theme Park.
At least my fries and hamburger at counter service stations have always been hot.

Cold fries and hamburgers abound at Kings Island so it is a great change for us to have good food when we go to Disney.

As far as price, Disney is no worse on price then any other theme park, I have paid over $2.00 for a coke at Universal and I recieve a glass full of ice and two inches of Coke.

I would like to point out though, that we have seen a drastic change in Disney food in the past years. Five years ago the food was SO much WORSE than what it is now.

They feed a lot of people all day, and they feed a lot of grumpy, tired tourists at that.

My thoughts are, Eat where you want, try it out at least, dont read any books to see what "They" like. If you dont like it, dont ever go back. But we have found some great surprises by going against what "everyone" else says about a restuarant at Disney.

Just my thoughts...;)

Love the UG and read it for entertainment as we don't really require touring plans any longer(approx 30 visits under our belts, no kids, travel in the off season).

As for WDW food, I think it's mostly good to very good. The dining experience is what makes the WDW restaurants special to me. The theming and the opportunity to chill out in such a fantastic environment is a big treat:D

I agree with your DH. I bought the unofficial guide in 2000 before my first trip to WDW (as an adult). That guide was so depressing and made everything at WDW seem stressful, expensive and a waste of time.

I almost didn't take my trip!

I realize the guide is supposed to be more "honest," but it gives a terrible view of WDW.

Originally posted by skiwee1
Do you really have to listen to your husband about buying a book? We are only talking about $15. I would get the book and that would be the end of that.

I will probably get the book anyway... DH doesn't care really.... He isn't a tyrant with his word being law (OK maybe he likes to think he is....:teeth: ) Seriously though... if I want to get it he has no problem with that... he is just opinionated!!

Originally posted by Melora
I will probably get the book anyway... DH doesn't care really.... He isn't a tyrant with his word being law (OK maybe he likes to think he is....:teeth: ) Seriously though... if I want to get it he has no problem with that... he is just opinionated!!

Well now that sounds like my DH also. I let him think his word is law but we all know better! As far as getting the book, I have all the guide books. I'm addicted to them and find all of them good reads. Some info is better in them then others. I still take all with a grain of salt and try everything whether they say so or not. I don't even need to read them to learn anything as we go 32-3 times a year but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I think much of the opinions on food have to do with one's perspective. For example, I am a serious cook. I make all of our food including bread, desserts, cheese, salad dressings, and butter from scratch. In addition our business produces a high quality meat, so I also have top ingredients. All of this is to say that I am a self admitted Food Snob.

With THAT said, let me add that we live in Lancaster TN. Never heard of it??? Population 100. Fine dining options are QUITE limited! LOL! I am also frankly very disappointed with the dining choices in Nashville, TN. Compared to Louisville and Lexington KY choices for truly fresh, original meals prepared "in house" are bleak.

We also aren't wealthy by ANY means, and I've only dined in $60+/plate restaurants a handful of times in my life (when someone else was paying!) I wrote Bob S. AND GOT A REPLY asking why he was so hard on the food at WDW and just to WHAT did he compare it. He responded that he eats at 4 star restaurants in CHicago, NY and LA regularly, and he compares their best to Disney's best. _I_ feel that is an unfair comparsion.
However, I see no issue with comparing mall food courts to those at the All Stars, and "outside" buffets to WDW buffets. IMHO, if like is compared to like, WDW usually comes out on top, but by varying margins.

FYI- one of the WORST meals we ever had a WDW was at one of Bob's favorites--Aunt Polly's Dockside. I had no idea one could produce a ham and cheese sandwich that was simply inedible.

In contrast, Artist's Point serves some of the BEST food I've EVER eaten. While many, including Bob knock Alfredo's the sauces are all freshly made from scratch and the pasta is made fresh and in house as well. It's not the BEST Italian I've ever eaten, but it ranks right up there.

I'll end my epistle by agreeing teht Bob S> IS too hard on the food quality at WDW, but I don't think he is comparing it to similar formats in the "real world."

Originally posted by Melora
how does everyone else feel about the food? Does anyone else feel the guide isn't fair to the food?

I am a boring eater. There. I said it. I like burgers, chicken fingers, spaghetti, fries and such. I find that *most* guides, Disney and non, tend to put down the so called "boring" food and give praise to "exciting, innovative cuisine".

I hate "exciting , innovative cuisine". Maybe I'm missing out , but if it doesn't taste good to me, I'm not going to eat it.

So yeah, I feel your pain...

Sheri

I am a boring eater. There. I said it. I like burgers, chicken fingers, spaghetti, fries and such. I find that *most* guides, Disney and non, tend to put down the so called "boring" food and give praise to "exciting, innovative cuisine".

I'm totally with you here, Shari. I like a few things that are slightly more sophisticated--but usually not prepred in odd ways like in many of the "finer" places.

Give me a good cheeseburger and I'm happy. Of course, I had a couple "bad" cheeseburgers in the world.

The All-Stars food court was right up my alley. The cheeseburgers were great, we all had some yummy chicken fajitas, and the most "sophisticated" item I had was chicken parm--and it was really good.

Hi JennyDrake,

Thanks very much for your feedback on the Guide. Sorry you did not have a very good meal at Aunt Polly's. Perhaps the desserts there will be better.

In regards to the Guide comparing some Disney restaurants to others in New York, Los Angeles, and elsewhere, here's a quote from Disney's website:

Celebrate an occasion, event or special meal at one of Disney's world-class establishments serving fine fare from around the globe.

As I mentioned earlier, if Disney says it's got "world-class" restaurants, it certainly deserves to be held to the same standards as "world-class" restaurants in other major cities. Anything else and "world-class" would lose its meaning. Again, let me point out it's Disney making the claim. If Pizza Hut said they served "world-class" Italian food, we wouldn't give them a free pass because they have to serve thousands and thousands of people every day. Imagine! My Italian grandmother would be lighting torches and passing out farming implements to the townsfolk.

With respect to counter-service restaurants, I believe we say in the Guide that we use typical fast-food restaurants (e.g., Hardees, McDonalds, etc.) as the benchmark for these, as almost everyone is familiar with them.

Some counter-service restaurants do pretty well. The chicken at Flame Tree Barbecue, for example, compares favorably to, say, Boston Market (and I like Boston Market). It's about 25% more expensive for a typical meal at FTB, I think, but in this case it's worth it. If there was a Flame Tree Barbecue across the street from my local Boston Market (and wouldn't that be a cool idea?), I'd go to Flame Tree.

Not so at, say, the Sunshine Season Food Fair, where the chicken was, during my last trip, considerably worse than Boston Market. Heck, it wasn't as good as McDonalds, and I don't think McDonalds does chicken particularly well (the double Quarter Pounder with cheese, that's another story).

Hope this adds to the discussion. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Len

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter