• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

We went yesterday morning and had a great time! It took about 15 minutes to walk over from the Dolphin. They checked out magic bands with the iPads and then we got our wrist bands. We were let in around 7:20 AM and in Toy Story Land by 7:25. Side note: they were not signing people up for Jedi Training when we entered. We were able to ride Midway mania twice, alien swirling saucers once, and slinky dog 5 times. We could have ridden it more, but we were starting to feel a smidge nauseated. We also had taken some time to chat with Tim and Jen Tracker, so that took some ride time away. They were making people get off of the rides and walk around to get on again. I saw one woman throw an absolute tantrum about this in front of her children on Midway Mania, and they did let her load into the ride again from the exit side. Saw a couple try to do this later and get told that they couldn’t. Park guests started streaming in around 8:45, as we were walking to breakfast. They had multiple cold buffets set up around the commissary, and you went to the counter to get anything hot. I had the chicken and donut, which was delicious despite what Kenny the Pirate said. I hate sweet potatoes, but really liked the sweet potato tots. My husband had the Mexican bowl dish and the avocado toast and said they were both fantastic. They had coffee, orange juice, apple juice, and water on the buffets. If you wanted soda or something different you had to get it at the counter with the hot food. We were on our way out of the park and headed to Epcot by 9:20.

Overall I would totally do this again! It was a really great time!

I will try and upload some pictures after work today!
Great review! Thanks!
Did you get any pics with characters? Curious about the best time to do so.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their reviews so far! It sounds like people typically went to breakfast when the park opened around 8:45 or so. When we do EMM at MK, we typically hit a few rides when the park opens at 9 and then make our way to breakfast closer to 9:30/9:45. I was thinking of using the same strategy at HS and doing Star Tours or Star Wars Launch Bay character meets at 9, then getting a later breakfast before 10. Curious to hear others' strategies! :)

Thanks to everyone who has posted their reviews so far! It sounds like people typically went to breakfast when the park opened around 8:45 or so. When we do EMM at MK, we typically hit a few rides when the park opens at 9 and then make our way to breakfast closer to 9:30/9:45. I was thinking of using the same strategy at HS and doing Star Tours or Star Wars Launch Bay character meets at 9, then getting a later breakfast before 10. Curious to hear others' strategies! :)

I am leaning towards doing ToT and RnR before breakfast. I know the waits are super low for both of them. Then do breakfast and Star Tours after. If it is open at 7am for breakfast we will go in real fast for some pastries to get something in our stomach before riding tons of rides. LOL Then go to 'real' breakfast around 9:30.

So if this event is sold out for the dates I need then there is probably no hope for me getting it right? Because it says non refundable. So I assume they don’t get cancellations

So if this event is sold out for the dates I need then there is probably no hope for me getting it right? Because it says non refundable. So I assume they don’t get cancellations

There’s a one day cancellation policy (the verbiage on the event website is misleading). People do cancel and shuffle plans all the time - although this will seemingly be popular for awhile. But, keep checking!

Thanks for the reviews!

I think the breakfast looks rather strange. When they said "fried chicken," I was expecting bone-in fried chicken, not chicken tenders. It will be interesting to see how the event evolves in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the reviews!

I think the breakfast looks rather strange. When they said "fried chicken," I was expecting bone-in fried chicken, not chicken tenders. It will be interesting to see how the event evolves in the coming weeks.
Chicken and waffles is almost always boneless chicken, at least around here it is. Makes it much easier to eat

Obviously I’m not going to do this, but if they are the same wristbands as the MK event, which I’m going to the next day, what is stopping me from keeping on Monday’s HS wristband, cancelling my booking for Tuesday’s MK EMM, and showing up there on Tuesday without having paid? Besides morals, obviously! I’m just surprised that they have neglected such an easy loophole to close. I assumed that every event got a different wristband, so you couldn’t try to get in to the next day’s EMM or MNSSHP.
They've been doing these events for ages and ages. People just haven't been in the habit of sneaking in past the CM. They know what to watch for, even if you don't know they are watching for it.

I would imagine that it would not be too hard to sneak by a CM in a group of 200 people all trying to give their info and get a wristband. Unfortunately I’m pathologically honest, so I don’t have an specific ideas on how to do it that don’t come from tv shows. However, I feel like any further speculation on my part would be getting very close to breaking forum rules, so I should probably stop. I just found it interesting.

As I said, I have no intention of trying it, I was just surprised that Disney appeared to have left a large loophole. Anyway, I think @MIAMouseketeer has foiled my hypothetical plan! :D
It would be impossible to sneak by a CM. You have to get your MB scanned first, to check for your admission, THEN, and only THEN, do you get a wristband. They keep the area where you get in very roped off and separate or have for any EMM events we've attended. This isn't Disney's first rodeo.

This sounds awesome; excited to go next Monday! Any word on being able to sign up for Jedi Training before heading to Toy Story Land?
Unless you need a really specific time or limited times, there is no rush to sign up for JTA any longer. We've been numerous times since TSL opened. Every day we've been there they've had the sign out that they were still accepting sign-ups as late as 4:00.

I live for chicken and waffles :D
Yep. Just about the only sweet breakfast dish I like.

Chicken and waffles is almost always boneless chicken, at least around here it is. Makes it much easier to eat

Chicken strips and waffles are a thing? I guess you learn something new every day.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180917093303212_COVER.jpg

I guess chicken tenders are technically chicken that is fried, but I don't normally think of it as being fried chicken. The menu just seems a little odd to me but to each their own.

One shouldn’t bank on similar trends, but I find Disney patterns useful/interesting sometimes just for some context.

MK EMM was was announced on 4/6/2016 with 18 dates from 4/26/2016 - 6/28/2016. On 6/2/2016 (roughly two months after the original announcement and roughly one month out from the new dates) they announced a second round of dates covering 7/10/2016 - 9/27/2016.

DHS EMM was announced 8/22/2018 with 23 dates from 9/17/2018 - 12/19/2018.

Obviously different set of facts/times of year for DHS EMM.... but FWIW!

Chicken strips and waffles are a thing? I guess you learn something new every day.

I guess chicken tenders are technically chicken that is fried, but I don't normally think of it as being fried chicken. The menu just seems a little odd to me but to each their own.
Nope, and I do not believe I ever said chicken strips and waffles were a thing. I said chicken and waffles are almost always served with a boneless piece of chicken. Not with bone-in chicken. (the person I quoted said they were expecting bone-in chicken) I stand by that statement. It's served in many, many restaurants here. It's always been boneless chicken when I order it. Often it's spicy/hot chicken too (Nashville Hot Chicken). But honestly, what are chicken strips but a breast cut into strips? Not sure what the big difference/question is anyway.

And yes, the menu they've opted for is non-traditional. Non-traditional is not bad. It's non-traditional, with a little traditional thrown in here and there. Disney gets panned daily for boring same old crap menus. Goodness knows they've got enough of those around property. I'm glad to see them thinking out of the box. I'll reserve judgment on it until I taste it for myself.

Last edited:
Nope, and I do not believe I ever said chicken strips and waffles were a thing. I said chicken and waffles are almost always serviced with a boneless piece of chicken. Not with bone-in chicken. (the person I quoted said they were expecting bone-in chicken) I stand by that statement. It's served in many, many restaurants here. It's always been boneless chicken when I order it. Often it's spicy/hot chicken too (Nashville Hot Chicken). But honestly, what are chicken strips but a breast cut into strips? Not sure what the big difference/question is anyway.

And yes, the menu they've opted for is non-traditional. Non-traditional is not bad. It's non-traditional, with a little traditional thrown in here and there. Disney gets panned daily for boring same old crap menus. Goodness knows they've got enough of those around property. I'm glad to see them thinking out of the box. I'll reserve judgment on it until I taste it for myself.

Fair enough. I was speaking to their menu and their description of "fried chicken." It's the same chicken tenders that you can get anywhere else in Disney World and there are no waffles. It's sweet potato things, chives and a croissant. When I think fried chicken, I think chicken on the bone. That's why I was a bit surprised when I saw the tenders.

Anyway, this is how we do chicken and waffles but to each their own.

800px-Chicken_and_Waffles_201_-_Evan_Swigart.jpg

Fair enough. I was speaking to their menu and their description of "fried chicken." It's the same chicken tenders that you can get anywhere else in Disney World and there are no waffles. It's sweet potato things, chives and a croissant. When I think fried chicken, I think chicken on the bone. That's why I was a bit surprised when I saw the tenders.

Anyway, this is how we do chicken and waffles but to each their own.

800px-Chicken_and_Waffles_201_-_Evan_Swigart.jpg
Wow, no. No bone in chicken here. I've never had it served that way. That seems very hard to eat.
And I think Disney was going after "the flavors of" chicken and waffles, sweet and savory, but with a twist. I believe it's a Cronut (or however you spell the cross between a croissant and donut) based on the reviews above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter