Digital Membership Card?

Thank you Sandi, that is what I am afraid may happen. I am guessing WDW is not going to make any accommodations for people who don't use smart phones. So I will not be able to get any discounts.

I would also be sure to email DVC and let them know how disappointed you are that they are not making any options for people who won’t be able to use MM.

Even if they allowed DVC owners like you to go to GR each trip, validate the membership and provide them with a length of stay card for that trip.

I would also be sure to email DVC and let them know how disappointed you are that they are not making any options for people who won’t be able to use MM.

Even if they allowed DVC owners like you to go to GR each trip, validate the membership and provide them with a length of stay card for that trip.
Good idea! I had not thought of that. What email do I use? Should I email while signed into my account?

You may indeed have trouble. All you can do is try. Unfortunately, DVC has not offered an alternative to those who do not have smart phones to download and use MM. My last trip the
CMs were definitely more strict about it, including a few times when I was behind DVC owners who had not yet done it. Though, most did allow them to get the discount, but with the line "I will this time, but you need to get the new one installed."
If one of the cast members said that to me my standard reply would be "I need to speak to your manager"....ºoº

If one of the cast members said that to me my standard reply would be "I need to speak to your manager"....ºoº

I agree but it may not always work and witnessed some issues on my last trip.

If they can find a way to add something for DAS, which does have to be renewed every 60 days, they can certainly can come up with something for a DVC owner to get each trip when a smart phone is not available.

The only piece I will add is that maybe at some point, it will become automatic, like it does on shopDisney for DVC merchandise but that will take some time.

As I've said before...it would be soooooo easy for DVC to issue cards similar to KTTW cards, which contained all your pertinent info. They could differentiate between white and blue card, and could even be deactivated immediately once you're no longer a "qualifying" member. Cast members scan the card, match it with your picture id you provide, and voila!

I guess that makes way too much sense, though.

I hate all this digital crap.

As I've said before...it would be soooooo easy for DVC to issue cards similar to KTTW cards, which contained all your pertinent info. They could differentiate between white and blue card, and could even be deactivated immediately once you're no longer a "qualifying" member. Cast members scan the card, match it with your picture id you provide, and voila!

I guess that makes way too much sense, though.

I hate all this digital crap.

It does make sense. I love the digital aspect and I find it easier to use, especially with my watch.

Even if a DVC owner has to get a new card every trip and its only good length of stay, it would be an alternative. They don’t even need to give white card owners any card because they don’t need it for discounts.

It seems so simple to have an alternative way.

What about for pool hopping and TOTWL (if/when they return, that is).

Neither exist and for those, they can simply scan a magic band and see it’s a DVC reservation. Since neither of those is cost based, it won’t matter if someone’s “guest” accesses it.

I honestly don’t expect pool hopping to come back, and for TOTWL, I would not be surprised to see it become paid events only.

So, we're going to allow renters to pool hop now?

DVC owners are supposed to report the guests are renters. So, if they follow the rules, then no renters will be allowed because the reservation would be flagged.

But, not much different than white card holders who have been taking the discounts when offered even when not eligible.

I have only pool hopped once and never was asked to show a thing. I think for the small number of owners who actually even used that perk, it would be no big deal, even if it did return.

I did that, emailed DVC, explaining that elderly (vision/arthritis, etc...) & less affluent may not have proper phones or the ability to use them. Their almost immediate email response was "Thank for your inquiry. At this time, the use of a smart phone is required for the many ways to enjoy your Disney experience."
I MAY have kept it but I think I was so angry & disappointed, I deleted it.
I believe it IS an ADA violation affecting some folks. They should at least openly offer options. (I learned everything from the GREAT people here.)

I was going to buy a Magic Key Chain (I can't put on a Magic Band) but then I read in their PRIVACY that MBs/chains are not RFID but Key Cards are.
So I'll get a Key Card when I check in & I have my physical park tix, just like the good ole' days. No idea why that was a hassle for people anyway.

I did get a new phone, though, (Long overdue) bc it seems I MUST use it to order food or they'll just leave me starved to death somewhere on Main Street. :joker:

But Chapek's idea of fun isn't mine. I'll be the one stopping to smell the roses without my nose stuck in a phone all day.

I did that, emailed DVC, explaining that elderly (vision/arthritis, etc...) & less affluent may not have proper phones or the ability to use them. Their almost immediate email response was "Thank for your inquiry. At this time, the use of a smart phone is required for the many ways to enjoy your Disney experience."
I MAY have kept it but I think I was so angry & disappointed, I deleted it.
I believe it IS an ADA violation affecting some folks. They should at least openly offer options. (I learned everything from the GREAT people here.)

I was going to buy a Magic Key Chain (I can't put on a Magic Band) but then I read in their PRIVACY that MBs/chains are not RFID but Key Cards are.
So I'll get a Key Card when I check in & I have my physical park tix, just like the good ole' days. No idea why that was a hassle for people anyway.

I did get a new phone, though, (Long overdue) bc it seems I MUST use it to order food or they'll just leave me starved to death somewhere on Main Street. :joker:

But Chapek's idea of fun isn't mine. I'll be the one stopping to smell the roses without my nose stuck in a phone all day.

I am sorry that this experience has not been the best for you.

I am sorry that this experience has not been the best for you.

Thanks, Sandi. As I said, the great people here filled in the blanks for me, answered all my Qs & prepared me for a fab solo visit. VERY excited about my first trip back since '18.

I was a Special Ed teacher. I devoted decades to finding ways to accommodate every learning style & every individual student's needs.
I think it's good that others are made aware this still isn't a cookie-cutter world.

Now if we can just get Chapek to hear us.... :scratchin

Sorry but what does ND mean.
CMs told me not eligible for discounts.
Actually, Y stands for "Yee-Haw!" and ND stands for "No Dice". :p

But, anyway I have a related question. I downloaded mine, and I have a Y, as I should. Is there any reason why my wife should download a card? She is an DVC Associate Member on my account, so wouldn't it just say "No Dice" anyway? She doesn't really want to bother with Apple wallet, and I can't think of a reason for her to have it if it's not getting her anything. She always uses my card when we go.

But, anyway I have a related question. I downloaded mine, and I have a Y, as I should. Is there any reason why my wife should download a card? She is an DVC Associate Member on my account, so wouldn't it just say "No Dice" anyway? She doesn't really want to bother with Apple wallet, and I can't think of a reason for her to have it if it's not getting her anything. She always uses my card when we go.
While it probably should be "DVC ND" for Associate Members, it isn't. I'm an Associate Member and mine shows "DVC Y". As an Associate Member, I know I'm not eligible for DVC Member discounts, etc., so I don't ask for them. I do have the Disney MagicMobile Pass loaded in my Apple Wallet because I use either my Apple Watch or iPhone to enter the theme parks.

Actually, Y stands for "Yee-Haw!" and ND stands for "No Dice". :p

Since associates are not entitled to the discounts, I don’t see any reason for her.

They are still updating so even if she got DVC Y now, it should change correctly at some point.

You will now need to be with her when she purchased things.

My first trip is in May since the change happened. I also discovered that my husband who is listed as a buyer but doesn't have his own DVC account, and he doesn't have a DVC card on the MDE site. We always go to Disney together and I'm the one who purchases everything. Does he really need his own DVC digital card on his phone? He'll get one if I ask him to, but does he really need one since we do everything together at Disney?

Another question, if we both have our own DVC accounts. How does that work when I'm the one who makes all our dining reservations and special event reservations that Disney and DVC offers. Will he still be on my "MDE" site/app so I can still make all our reservations at the same time as I always have done? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter