Dilemma Please help

GoofyinNYC

Earning My Ears
I am new to these boards, please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place. I am hopeless!

I am going to Disney in October with my girlfriend of 5 years. This is my first time going to WDW ever in my life. It is her millionth time I would say! She always wanted me to go and she is taking me for my 30th birthday and her 25th.

Here is the dilemma. I want to propose. I want to surprise her. However, I think it will be difficult to pull off a surprise. Everything is in her name: airflight, hotel, etc. I am a newbie to Disney and do not know what to plan, where to go, etc. I want to make it so special for her. Does Disney do anything for special events? How would I go about telling them my plans without her knowing?

I have so many questions I don't know where to start. We are staying at the Coronado Resort. That's pretty much all I know. She gave me pictures of hotels and let me decide!

PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!

How Exciting! What a great place to propose, especially since it's obviously someplace she is especially fond of. I'd keep talking to her about where her favorite place to eat is, what ride she really enjoys, her favorite nighttime spot (how about proposing during Wishes?, it's the fireworks show at the Magic Kingdom). If you know where you're staying, I'd call down to the hotel and ask for a little help, I'm sure they'd be glad to help however they could.

How sweet! :love:

Oh how wonderful!
That is so romantic :love:
I know when my bf eventually proposes (hurry up already :rotfl: ) that he has the common sense to propose at WDW :)
If I was home, I'm at work, I'd look this info up for you. I have a book about romance at WDW and I'm pretty sure it has ideas for proposals. When I get home tonight I'll grab the book and see if I have any ideas for you.
FYI..The book is called WDW for couples by Rick & Gail Perlmutter. I bought it at Amazon.com.
Hope this helps a little for now!

She always said she didn't care where or when it happend or what sort of ring I had. She would marry me no matter what. I love her for that, but it also gives me incentive to make it super special for her.
I just DO NOT want her to find out. That is my biggest fear!!

OK...YOU are the MAN! First of all, let me congratulate you on your impending engagement! Next, let me inform you that there are a ton of options. All you have to do is enlist the help of any one of the CM's and ask how to make this the Magical Memory of her lifetime...like it wouldn't be anyway!! What do you have in mind? Things like proposing in front of the Castle (or in one of the lovely gardens surrounding it) holding a glass slipper come to my mind, or what about trying to be a Grand Marshall during one of the parades where you are announced to the crowds as you pass by...maybe as a "newly engaged couple"? My mind is spinning with ideas...but since this isn't MY engagement (shucks!), let me see if I can give you some USEFUL advice!! :)
Iwould start at Guest Relations...if they can't help to do something special, they can direct you to who can!

Guest Relations - 407-824-4321

Please let us know how you make out! Good Luck...sending Pixie Dust your way!!!

WL Fan said:
How Exciting! What a great place to propose, especially since it's obviously someplace she is especially fond of. I'd keep talking to her about where her favorite place to eat is, what ride she really enjoys, her favorite nighttime spot (how about proposing during Wishes?, it's the fireworks show at the Magic Kingdom). If you know where you're staying, I'd call down to the hotel and ask for a little help, I'm sure they'd be glad to help however they could.

How sweet! :love:
I read somewhere about calling the hotel and notifying them of special occasions. What do they do exactly? Also, since everything is in her name, can I call? Will it be on the computer screen when our reservation pops up?

Give these folks a call:

http://www.giftsofalifetime.com/

You tell them about her, and they help you plan something fabulous. I haven't used them yet, but now that you mention it, DW and I *are* planning a tentative anniversary trip...perhaps I should give them a call.

I would pick a restaurant that you would like to purpose at.. call and make a priority seating for this restaurant, tell them your plans. This will be in YOUR name and you will have the Confirmation number so she won't know anything about it. :goodvibes
The restaurant WILL do something special and WILL help you. ( I think they live for this kind of stuff since they all do such a good job with it!)
I would then also call your resort when you are out and about that day/evening and let them know... They will send up balloons etc.... They have done this for our anniversary.

Another option...... purpose during WISHES!! That is the most emotion filled event ( my husband had tears in his eyes) That would be very romantic!!!! :lovestruc

GoofyinNYC said:
I read somewhere about calling the hotel and notifying them of special occasions. What do they do exactly? Also, since everything is in her name, can I call? Will it be on the computer screen when our reservation pops up?

Be careful of this.... It will be noted on your reservation. Even if it says it is a secret etc.. I don't think I would want to risk it.

Like I said in the other post... I would call the resort after you get there or even stop down at the desk to let them know your plans.

We got balloons and a card signed by Mickey and Friends for our anniversary.

I recently watched a show where the man took his girlfriend to Victoria and Albert's and dined at the Chef's Table. At the end of the meal, dessert was brought out, and hers was a ringbox on a platter. I thought that was kind of sweet.

Of course, if she is the kind who doesn't care about pretenses, I would think a simple proposal during a lovely, moonlight stroll on a beach would work. That would actually be quite lovely. Or if you're up to it, drop to one knee while waiting in a long line for a ride and propose in front of everybody around you. It would be even cooler if you could somehow talk with the park's guest services beforehand and they had a bunch of characters standing nearby, to make the moment extra special.

Good luck! I'm sure no matter how you propose, you will have a long and wonderful life together.

Linda

Another thing you may consider is a white chocolate cinderella slipper they will prepare for you at any of the GF restuarants. They can write on the plate marry me; usually they will put someones name on it. The cost is $14. Just call Disney dining and talk with them. princess:

A dream is a wish your heart makes. :love:

You might want to post this on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies, that board gets more "traffic" than this one, and I'm sure lots of people can give you advice how they popped the question!

Good Luck! :wizard:

I thought I read somewhere that at Cindrella's castle if you go for dinner and work it out with them, at dessert time they will bring out out a covered platter and when it's opened they have the ring in the glass slipper. Maybe do that and followed by wishes fireworks.

Proposing at the beach at Poly just after the fireworks was another suggestion somewhere but I would be leary because sometimes it's so crowded there.

Brian Noble said:
Give these folks a call:

http://www.giftsofalifetime.com/

You tell them about her, and they help you plan something fabulous. I haven't used them yet, but now that you mention it, DW and I *are* planning a tentative anniversary trip...perhaps I should give them a call.
Jane and her Pixies are great - I have used them a few times - just be sure to give her enough lead time to prepare...and be patient - she is very busy!

Another romantic spot would be at a window seat in the California Grill during Wishes - I am sure the management would help you out.

I say go for simple. That way you dont "have" to let anyone know and it can remain a secret.

Something like..

As you guys are walking in the Kingdom, go to the steps of the castle and tell her that you can "take a picture" of her in front of it. THEN ... Stop someone (YES a stranger) and ask them to take both of your picture while hinting to the stranger what you are about to do (Do it quickly!!, that way she wont be thinking anything except that you are begging someone to take the picture)

As you take the picture, tell the person ok just one more. Drop to your knee and ask in that instant. that way you will have a record of the moment.

Either way good luck to you. WDW is the most magical place to snag a bride. :banana:

Let us know how it goes. ANd also if you need anymore ideas just let me know. :cloud9:

GoofyinNYC said:
I am new to these boards, please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place. I am hopeless!

I am going to Disney in October with my girlfriend of 5 years. This is my first time going to WDW ever in my life. It is her millionth time I would say! She always wanted me to go and she is taking me for my 30th birthday and her 25th.

Here is the dilemma. I want to propose. I want to surprise her. However, I think it will be difficult to pull off a surprise. Everything is in her name: airflight, hotel, etc. I am a newbie to Disney and do not know what to plan, where to go, etc. I want to make it so special for her. Does Disney do anything for special events? How would I go about telling them my plans without her knowing?

I have so many questions I don't know where to start. We are staying at the Coronado Resort. That's pretty much all I know. She gave me pictures of hotels and let me decide!

PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!

OMG...you HAVE to do the picture thing...and don't forget the Glass Slipper. You can buy them in the gift shop adjacent to the Bakery on Main Street!
Gee...I'm wishing I could be that stranger you stop to take your picture!!!

my husband proposed to me at Chef Mickey's...he had worked it out with the Fairytale Wedding people and she coordinated it with the CM's at the restaurant...After Mickey got done doing his napkin dance and everyone and I mean everyone was watching him he came over to our table and sat down and asked my husband for an autograph book which was snuck to him on the sly and wrote in it "Angelo wants to know if you will marry him" and handed it to me. After I read it I looked at my husband and he got down on one knee and proposed. Everyone in the restaurant applauded when I said yes and they even treated us to a bottle of champagne...it was fun and boy was I surprised!! check with the wedding and honeymoon department...last I knew they had packages you could book...good luck!!!

I don't think you gave an idea of how much you wanted to spend, but I suggest this:

- Book one night at the Grand Floridian in YOUR name for one night in the middle of your trip
- Book dinner at Victoria and Albert's (also at the GF) for the same night as your stay. They say the chef's table is wonderful, but I am thinking for an intimate dinner, go with the regular meal for just the two of you.

That gives you the setting - of course you could choose any resort you want. And, now that I think about it, V&A might be tricky because you have to dress up to go there - so arranging that as a surprise might be difficult.

But the idea is that you have a special place to spend your proposal night, and if you can book a really nice restaurant in the same resort, so much the better.

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

- Todd

My husband did a simple proposal for me at WDW.

I am glad he did it that way then doing all the bells & whistles since we are quite folks.

Luckily for him, he had been to the World 2 or 3 times prior with me so he knew a little about it.

He knew my favorite place was WDW (duh! Isn't that everyone's?) & he knew my favorite resort was the Polynesian. He remembered the Poly from the time we went before but he didn't remember everything about it.

We sat on a hammock waiting for the fireworks to start & he proposed. It was just us, no one knew, it was quiet & perfect & free (well not considering the cost of the Poly & the cost of the rock).

You can go all out or you can do it simple. Which ever way you think she'd like it done. I think however & wherever you do it, it will be special.

There are some quiet nooks & crannies through out the World too. Does she have a favorite ride, you can do it there (assuming it is not the Tower of Terror or Space Mountain).

Good luck & congrats in advance.

Kerri

I LOVE the idea of asking someone to take your picture in fornt of the castel. I also love the idea of Mickey helping out!!!!!

I'm so excited for you. Please let us know what you decide to do and what happens :) :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter