Dis Exclusive December Backstage Magic 12/14 - 12/19/2014!!!

Awesome. Looking forward to spending two weeks with Tracey and Chris this year!

Hi everybody! My name's Kevin, and I'll be joining you guys this December! I'll be traveling by myself. I'm more of an East Coast kind of guy, but I love DL/CA. I typically go out to DL during the D23 Expo's, etc. I'm really excited to go to Imagineering, Studios, and Archives. And I'm just thrilled to be traveling on a DIS Exclusive ABD. I've been meaning to do one for a couple years now.

Hi everybody! My name's Kevin, and I'll be joining you guys this December! I'll be traveling by myself. I'm more of an East Coast kind of guy, but I love DL/CA. I typically go out to DL during the D23 Expo's, etc. I'm really excited to go to Imagineering, Studios, and Archives. And I'm just thrilled to be traveling on a DIS Exclusive ABD. I've been meaning to do one for a couple years now.

Welcome Kevin! Loved your SEA trip report - I'm solo also so glad to hear I'm not the only "Lone" Ranger LOL! I don't think it will be too "Lone" with all these awesome folks on the tour!

Welcome Kevin! Loved your SEA trip report - I'm solo also so glad to hear I'm not the only "Lone" Ranger LOL! I don't think it will be too "Lone" with all these awesome folks on the tour!

Excellent! Glad to hear I won't be the only Lone Ranger also. :) I'm sure it will be a fun trip.

Someone on the ABD Board asked a question about what to do with a pre day.

I thought the info might be useful here, so here is my response

After having done the Backstage Magic Adventure several times, here are some of the things we love...

Going to the LA Farmer's Market at Third and Fairfax.

It's a short cab ride, but it's worth it. It's been in the same place since the early 30's. Lucy and Ricky went there in there "Ricky goes to Hollywood" era.
I recommend a corned beef sandwich from Magee's and a donut from Bob's. This is also connected to the Grove. It's an outdoor mall, but celebrity sightings are common. Keep your eyes open. I could easily spend a couple of hours here.

The Griddle Cafe
7916 W Sunset Blvd, W Hollywood, CA 90046

This is an amazing "hole in the wall" place that you would probably pass without notice. A word of advice....GO EARLY or prepare to wait an hour or more. Great food. Do not be surprised to see a line of 100 people (or more!) Unless you eat like a lumberjack...think about sharing....especially pancakes.

25 Degrees in the Roosevelt Hotel

This a two block walk from the Loews. It serves really decent burgers and "adult" milkshakes. It's also inside a Hollywood Landmark. Marilyn Monroe lived at the Roosevelt. It's where the first Academy Awards were held and in the back of the lobby is the tiled staircase where Bill "Bojangles" Robinson taught Shirley Temple to tap dance. Check out the ceiling of the lobby area. It's work of art.

The Grill
6801 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

The Grill is a great place to eat and it's attached to the Loews in the Hollywood and Highland complex. Exit the hotel on the second floor mezzanine level and it's one flight up. Good food/ good atmosphere and it's a minute from your room. Great when you are exhausted.

Hope this helps.

Someone on the ABD Board asked a question about what to do with a pre day.

I thought the info might be useful here, so here is my response

After having done the Backstage Magic Adventure several times, here are some of the things we love...

Going to the LA Farmer's Market at Third and Fairfax.

It's a short cab ride, but it's worth it. It's been in the same place since the early 30's. Lucy and Ricky went there in there "Ricky goes to Hollywood" era.
I recommend a corned beef sandwich from Magee's and a donut from Bob's. This is also connected to the Grove. It's an outdoor mall, but celebrity sightings are common. Keep your eyes open. I could easily spend a couple of hours here.

See Link

The Griddle Cafe
7916 W Sunset Blvd, W Hollywood, CA 90046

This is an amazing "hole in the wall" place that you would probably pass without notice. A word of advice....GO EARLY or prepare to wait an hour or more. Great food. Do not be surprised to see a line of 100 people (or more!) Unless you eat like a lumberjack...think about sharing....especially pancakes.

25 Degrees in the Roosevelt Hotel

This a two block walk from the Loews. It serves really decent burgers and "adult" milkshakes. It's also inside a Hollywood Landmark. Marilyn Monroe lived at the Roosevelt. It's where the first Academy Awards were held and in the back of the lobby is the tiled staircase where Bill "Bojangles" Robinson taught Shirley Temple to tap dance. Check out the ceiling of the lobby area. It's work of art.

The Grill
6801 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

The Grill is a great place to eat and it's attached to the Loews in the Hollywood and Highland complex. Exit the hotel on the second floor mezzanine level and it's one flight up. Good food/ good atmosphere and it's a minute from your room. Great when you are exhausted.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for reposting in this thread. This got me thinking as the other thread talked about The Pantages Theatre.

I see Wicked opens up there on Dec 10th. Might be something seeing before the tour starts.

I wonder if there is enough time to do this on the evening on your own. It would be nice if a group event could be arranged for those interested, of course for a extra fee of course.

http://hollywoodpantages.com/showinfo.php?id=35

On our pre-ABD day we took a tour at Warner Brothers Studio. The studio offers 2 tours, a 2+ hour VIP tour and a 5-hour Deluxe tour. We did the 5-hour tour which included a delicious sit down lunch at the studio commissary fine dining restaurant.

In 2010, the Deluxe tour was under $200 per person. It's now $250 per person. The VIP tour is $85 per person. The Deluxe tour is offered once per day and is limited to 12 persons. Reservations are suggested for both tours.

The Ellen DeGeneres Show tapes on the Warner Brothers lot. Some members in our ABD group got tickets for a taping and still managed to do the VIP tour on the same day. I don't know if any shows will be taping in December but tvtickets.com will have information on those shows that make tickets available to the public.

Public Service Announcement: :mic:

Any DVC members considering a pre-ABD stay at the Grand Californian, we have now passed the 7-month window.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff!

Also, Southwest's booking window for December travel opens on Monday, 5/19.

Public Service Announcement: :mic:

Any DVC members considering a pre-ABD stay at the Grand Californian, we have now passed the 7-month window.

Made our post-adventure DVC reservation today. I was shocked that all room categories except Grand Villas were available for Friday 12/19 and Saturday 12/20. I was sure I would have to wait list one or both nights.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, we find that we find that we have an additional room available for this date.

Anyone want to visit Disneyland for the holidays?

;)

I will second the Griddle Café as Kevin previously mentioned. If time permits it will definitely be a stop for us. One of the greatest breakfasts I've ever had and such a cool atmosphere.

Can you believe we are just under the 6 month mark for our adventure! Still a ways to go but since we started planning over a year ago we're in the home stretch now!

Somehow I never made it over here to post when our plans changed - it turns out my husband could not get that week off from work so I'm going to be a solo-traveler on this trip. Since he was really just going along for me, it's not really a disappointment for him, and I'm sure I will never feel lonely traveling with you folks.

Every time I think about this trip I get so excited I can't stand it! I've booked my airfare and pre-night hotel and have a list of possible ideas for my pre-ABD days.

Do we know yet who our podcaster travel companions are going to be for this trip?

Can you believe we are just under the 6 month mark for our adventure! Still a ways to go but since we started planning over a year ago we're in the home stretch now!

Somehow I never made it over here to post when our plans changed - it turns out my husband could not get that week off from work so I'm going to be a solo-traveler on this trip. Since he was really just going along for me, it's not really a disappointment for him, and I'm sure I will never feel lonely traveling with you folks.

Every time I think about this trip I get so excited I can't stand it! I've booked my airfare and pre-night hotel and have a list of possible ideas for my pre-ABD days.

Do we know yet who our podcaster travel companions are going to be for this trip?

Yes, Suzanne, 180 days from now we will begin our Adventure! You are correct that you will be traveling with friends and will not be lonely.

Our flights, pre and post nights are booked too. Nothing left to do but wait impatiently.

Don't know who from the team will be our travel companions but who would not want to be in Walt's park during the Christmas holiday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter