DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

OMG ... i absolutely LOVE my instant pot!!So much that i bought an extra inner pot so i can make one thing, pull the pot out, plunk the other one in and fire it up again!

Mac & cheese is hubby's fav and mine for how fast and easy it is to get dinner on the table AND end up with at least 4 more servings to put in the freezer for him.

Rissotto & polenta also made frequent appearances, like not having to stand over a pot of boiling lava (aka polenta :P )

Hubby loves chicken -- easy-peasy, fill the pot up with about 5 cups of cold water (like out of the fridge cold!) and a ton of salt (like more than you think is needed for anything) and any other spices you like, drop in the chicken pieces, as many as you can fit and have them still almost submerged. Seal the pot and set it for 0 minutes high pressure -- yes ZERO minutes -- let it sit for about 10 minutes (or more if you forget!) release whatever pressure is left. Check the temp of the chicken, if it's properly cooked, great, if not, drop it back in the pot and close the lid for another few minutes. Strain the liquid and POOF you have some amazing broth now as well. Use the chicken for whatever turns your crank!

Right now nothing is functioning *normally* since I've started my elimination diet of five foods:
fish (i don't like)
lard (gross EEW)
tapicoa/cassava flour
glucose (can't find it anywhere that's not made from corn)
and blueberries

Luckily for hubby I also have a vacuum sealer and for the last 7 months I've been cooking double & triple meals and the freezer is full of individual meals.

Thanks for all the ideas!! I've liked almost everything I've made in the instant pot so far, and I'm glad I got it instead of just direct replacing my slow cooker.

I love risotto and polenta, and I really love the idea of not constantly watching the pot. I'll definitely give your chicken trick a try too. I use poached chicken breasts for all kinds of things, and your method sounds even easier than using a pot!

Your diet sounds...challenging! Are you having fish, dredged in cassava flour and fried in lard every day? I hope it ends up being helpful in the long run, and that you can start reintroducing more variety soon!!

I am still slowly trying to keep up any progress of fitness. I just recovered from a bad cold, then a migraine. The most troubling thing is that it feels like my plantar fasciitis wants to act up. I am leaving in just over a week on my trip, and usually at theme parks my minimum step count is usually about 20,000 which could lead to some very sore feet. I have orthotics and have taped my one foot for arch support, so hopefully that does the job.
@Donald - my hero your elimination diet sounds tough, I hope the end is in sight!

@marchingstar I love my instant pot too. I have made all sorts of soups in there, and beef stew. The best part is that you can brown the meat IN the instant pot before making the stew, saving on extra pots/pans.

i feel like some of you use instant pots pretty regularly. so...hit me with your favourite meals/recipes/uses!! so far i’ve made chana masala, stew, chicken carnitas, and hard boiled eggs (not a recipe, but everyone raves about IP eggs).

This is for anyone with an instant pot who loves to use it. There is a FB group where a Canadian Lady adapted all of grandma's meals for the instant pot. Her recipes are awesome and I have recently purchased both of her cookbooks and the family is loving all the recipes I have made so far. The group is Rootitoot instant Pot Recipes & help. The community is very kind ( very similar to our beloved groups we have here :lovestruc ) and doesn't put up the rudeness or drama. She has posted some of her recipes in the files part of page and also has a website where you can order her books from and also has some recipes there as well.
I hope to see you there :flower1:

This is for anyone with an instant pot who loves to use it. There is a FB group where a Canadian Lady adapted all of grandma's meals for the instant pot. Her recipes are awesome and I have recently purchased both of her cookbooks and the family is loving all the recipes I have made so far. The group is Rootitoot instant Pot Recipes & help. The community is very kind ( very similar to our beloved groups we have here :lovestruc ) and doesn't put up the rudeness or drama. She has posted some of her recipes in the files part of page and also has a website where you can order her books from and also has some recipes there as well.
I hope to see you there :flower1:

thanks! i’ll check it out for sure. probably the website...i have a FB account but I use it maybe once every 6 months!

I am still slowly trying to keep up any progress of fitness. I just recovered from a bad cold, then a migraine. The most troubling thing is that it feels like my plantar fasciitis wants to act up. I am leaving in just over a week on my trip, and usually at theme parks my minimum step count is usually about 20,000 which could lead to some very sore feet. I have orthotics and have taped my one foot for arch support, so hopefully that does the job.
@Donald - my hero your elimination diet sounds tough, I hope the end is in sight!

@marchingstar I love my instant pot too. I have made all sorts of soups in there, and beef stew. The best part is that you can brown the meat IN the instant pot before making the stew, saving on extra pots/pans.

I love the sauté function too!!! so convenient and cuts down on dishes and prep time by a ton.

I love my crockpot, I'd like an instapot but I don't think it's something I can put on when I leave for work and come home to a cooked meal, so I've been reluctant to get one. I'd also like an actifry, but I am trying not to get too many more small appliances :) I have so many as it is! I got ride of a couple when I decluttered the kitchen, but still have two crock pots and a bunch of other things I rarely use. But you never know. I may want to make homemade waffles again some time!

The weather has not been fun today, school buses cancelled so we stayed home. Supposed to go to Swiss Chalet for my birthday dinner, it's not too far so I think we'll risk it. I do hate driving in this weather but I also don't want to have to cook or clean up! I've done enough of that already today :)

Happy Birthday Heather. :bday:

That snow out there today counts for two days of working out. It was a lot and now it's blowing around. Go enjoy your dinner. I hear the roads aren't bad once you're out of the neighbourhood.

I love my crockpot, I'd like an instapot but I don't think it's something I can put on when I leave for work and come home to a cooked meal, so I've been reluctant to get one. I'd also like an actifry, but I am trying not to get too many more small appliances :) I have so many as it is! I got ride of a couple when I decluttered the kitchen, but still have two crock pots and a bunch of other things I rarely use. But you never know. I may want to make homemade waffles again some time!

The weather has not been fun today, school buses cancelled so we stayed home. Supposed to go to Swiss Chalet for my birthday dinner, it's not too far so I think we'll risk it. I do hate driving in this weather but I also don't want to have to cook or clean up! I've done enough of that already today :)

happy birthday!

I don’t think I would have gotten an instant pot if my crock pot hadn’t broken. I have too many small appliances too! it’s amazing how quickly the cupboards fill up...

Hello. I just found this thread so now am lurking about. DH and I are really working on getting healthier this year, and have made some progress so far, but I'd always like to spend some more online time visiting with others in the same boat.

So I'm just popping in to say hi. I hope that's okay!

Welcome to the thread @Peachy0118 , the more the merrier. Feel free to jump in and share along. I just noticed you are going to Disney in April. Which one? Which week?

Hello. I just found this thread so now am lurking about. DH and I are really working on getting healthier this year, and have made some progress so far, but I'd always like to spend some more online time visiting with others in the same boat.

So I'm just popping in to say hi. I hope that's okay!
:welcome:

Since my new job started I've been getting in a lot more steps, I have to park about a 10 minute walk from my building, so I get 20 minutes a day for sure, but some mornings it has been slippery out there! I look forward to nicer weather and being able to go for walks at lunch again. And not worrying about falling on my way to work.

Kiddo has one strike day coming up next week, he'll only have 3 days of school! I can work from home so don't have to use vacation thank goodness. We've been starting to talk about summer camps, he wants to stay home alone and I don't think that's a great idea. I made a list of available camps and he's got a few choices, all are very active, football, floor hockey, swimming, sports. I want him tired out! I will only be taking two weeks of vacation instead of 5, the 5 are unpaid when I take them so I'd like to keep the money this year. But I think we're both a bit sad about it honestly. And it means covering more weeks of camp. I'm debating getting a season pass for Calypso or Mont Cascade, even if we can only go weekends it would be fun. But I feel like I'd have to get a third pass to bring him a friend. I'm already thinking of summer camp and it's not even March Break yet. But it is almost a long weekend, Family Day, and I hope we are able to stay busy!

I feel like a milestone has been reached. This morning kiddo was being especially difficult getting up so I told him either get up and ready in two minutes or I'll leave without him and he can get himself to school. He chose to get himself to school! I was already running late so it didn't really help much (and it was snowing so ugh! the drive was so long). But now he wants to do it next week for the few days he has school, and if it goes well, I'll take him out of before school daycare! Then I can leave earlier, and cut so much time off my commute. I'll still have to get him up, and ensure his lunch is packed, but I can then just leave for work and not fight about how it's time to go. He was actually early this morning, got there before daycare even went outside, but he enjoyed having extra play time. He'll still be going to camps this summer though, I'm not ready for him to be home alone for 8 weeks!! Just waiting for the school board to confirm the back to school date before I book any camps or my own vacation days. Since the other board is going back a week early I have some doubt about the date.

And now I have a 4 day weekend, which I will enjoy! And hopefully catch up on some sleep. Plans include groceries, laundry, house cleaning, dying my hair a fun colour, and probably going to a family day event at the high school (they set up bouncy castles, laser tag, and those big hamster balls among other things, parents are free, kid is only $15), if I can find a friend to go with him. And he has a friend coming over Saturday to play on the snow hill from shoveling, which I will have to do tomorrow I think.

Best of luck to you with getting DS up and out the door. Don't give up.

This house is an epic fail where that is concerned. DS is almost 23 and it's still a battle everyday getting him up and out the door. In the summer he's out the door at 6:30am (all on his own) in the winter I'm calling him every 10 minutes from 7:45 to 8:15. He takes the bus to work so he needs to co-ordinate his time to catch that. Thank god his work schedule is flexible. He just has to put in his 7.5 hours (between 7am and 6pm).

Boys, they do grow up eventually. It can be brutal along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter